Search Unity

Best combat mechanic in 2d platformer games

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by WildWolvesGames, Mar 21, 2023.

1. WildWolvesGames

WildWolvesGames

I'm making a metroidvania-like adventure game, but I don't know what combat mechanic to implement. So I ask you this question : What is your favorite combat system in 2d adventure or Metroidvania games ? And Why ?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i like dash movement that has like no penalties so you feel very agile, and weapon shot projectiles that aren't instant so nailing a perfectly timed shot feels great.

Socrates and WildWolvesGames like this.
  3. WildWolvesGames

WildWolvesGames

Isn't it like some of the mechanics we can find in Hollow Knight ?

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I haven't played it, couldn't say

5. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

for me it's the upgradable weapon - stuff, where either a weapon gets better, and then it's the hyper - attacks, think overall Castlevania - titles are very cool, anyway think most of the attacks, or ' powers ' in this game at least make sense . . .

not sure what you want to make, however there's a jam - server for people that make Castlevania, or other stuff, think you could find a team there, or at least learn more . . .

LINK Indie Game Jams LINK OVER

overall thought Hollow Knight was rather good, however my two favorite genres are either horror, or then sci - fi over the Castlevania - genre, can't remember the name of the jam - server, here's an image of their Discord - server . . . .

upload_2023-3-23_15-12-11.png

think it's been running for years, there's also a ton of people there, there's a jam - theme, and everyone makes the Castlevania - genre, not sure you could find a team there // get more help from the people that run the place . . . .

overall, my advice is try to look for experts in this genre, because it's almost for about getting the ' feel ', or also dynamic combat - stuff right, than it's either the graphics, or setting, the people on that Discord - server could have a few more answers . . . .

6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

I'll add one that might not have been done before.
    How about a dodge ability, probably similar to the dodge move, that all characters have in Smash Bros. That would be a good quality of life ability.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  7. WildWolvesGames

WildWolvesGames

Very Good ! It would be interesting to see it in a 2d rpg or action-adventure game.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  8. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Yeah.

For clarification, the old 2d Fatal Fury games, had an evade mechanic, where you could jump into the background, to avoid projectiles and certain attacks. And there is a dodge in the classic King of Fighters games too. Obviously, you'll want your evade/dodge ability, to be more refined for your game, and to help/aid your players too.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  9. WildWolvesGames

WildWolvesGames

Thanks !