Search Unity

Best ASP .Net CMS for Unity Developers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tcmeric, Aug 8, 2019.

1. tcmeric

tcmeric

Hi,

I am looking to launch a CMS site to handle game data and online logic. I have 10+ years of experience using wordpress, drupal, MySQL professionally. However, I am looking to move into a C# based CMS system (that also works with MySQL).

Does anyone have any recommendations for ASP .NET CMS for unity devs? (Looking for as much c# programming skills cross transfer as possible). I am looking at Umbraco, as it says its coded in c#, is open source, is mature, etc.

Open to other ideas. This a bootstrapped project, however, so huge licensing fees would be out.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

I think you are on the wrong forum. This is Unity mostly about game making. How that relates to web designs choices?

3. tcmeric

tcmeric

Used drupal and mysql to backend game data with rest api in the past. Looking to change to a c# CMS, preferably one that has transferable skills to c#, used in Unity. Seems pretty game and unity related to me.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

While you can make website using CMS for desired games, I am not convinced, CMS subject and C# directly fit Unity forum. That is quite web(y) topic. Are you trying run CMS inside Unity?
    I am not sure, but maybe you are better ask this question on stackoverflow, or .NET, or even wordpress forums?

5. tcmeric

tcmeric

So your answer is you dont know, got it.

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

My suggestion is, that you will get chance to receive more appropriate and accurate answer, on more relevant forum, which is oriented toward web design, rather a game design.

7. Lily55

Lily55

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    tcmeric likes this.
  8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have used Orchard in the past, but its no longer officially managed by Microsoft, it's now managed completly by the open source community. Nothing wrong with that, but in enterprise you often want official Microsoft involvement

tcmeric likes this.
  9. iamthwee

iamthwee

Don't really get why, I mean I get wordpress is bloated, and there are better CMS's. It's debatable the skills learned in unity c# is transferable, mostly you're just calling an API.

But a WP blanket theme seems ideal for this.

I'm using nodejs for a restful API.
    https://adonisjs.com/docs/4.1/request

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    tcmeric likes this.
  10. tcmeric

tcmeric

Having a CMS attached is nice for some basic admin duties. Out of the box they usually offer accounts, menu systems, permissions, etc for users.

I am using it for things like keeping scores, custom matching, registered account, authoritative in game purchases/special items, etc via in game play/menus. Being able to write in c# some custom script on the CMS side to handle these duties (matching, saving to mysql, etc) is very handy. PHP is horrible. Love drupal, but given up on extending it to deal with game related things. I know some Python, so Django would be my go to these days if I can find nothing else. But if a decent CMS is written in C#, then I wouldnt need to spend as much time digging into another language. With a CMS, my end users can also access their game accounts, scores, match info, online via the website front end.

If not using a CMS, a straight asp .net application could potentially do the job, but that doesnt offer as much flexibility in the front end out of the box. How are other people handling these things (other than paying a service)? I would like to avoid that, as I want too much customizations.

11. tcmeric

tcmeric

Thanks, ill check into it.

12. iamthwee

iamthwee

TBH this sounds like a very custom cms, than something out of the box.

A framework would be suitable here. I've never used c# outside of unity so don't really know.

PHP the likes of laravel and codeigniter shout out to me, if it was me, I'd be using adonisjs on the backend and bootstrap with vuejs on the front end but that's me.

tcmeric likes this.