Search Unity

[BEST ARTISTIC TOOL - UNITY AWARDS 2019] Aura 2 - Volumetric Lighting & Fog

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raphick, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Subliminum

Subliminum

Hahah, i can appreciate that, however I'm just another user, not affiliated with the development of Aura. If you dont want to actively try to find the issue you're welcome to wait for a reply from Raph.
    I'm merely mentioning that it works so that you guys can narrow down the problem since it likely lies with your project/pc setup rather then the asset itself. If i can download the Asset from the Store and import it in a new project with no problems in Unity 2019.2...implying that the Asset itself doesn't support 2019, is a bit misleading. At most, the Asset could use some stability improvments.

Have you tried using it in a clean project with Net 4.x to see if that makes a difference?

2. kilik128

kilik128

here look nothing is rendering in vr open gl3 unity 2019.2.8f1

3. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Gah, I got this and realized it has no LWRP support? :/ Any ETA on non-deprecated pipeline support?

seboverflow likes this.
  4. NiallT

NiallT

I'm another that's getting this error:
    Pixel sizes of texture "Directional Light : Shadow Map Render Texture (UnityEngine.RenderTexture)" (512x512) does not match the required size of 256pixels for width and 256pixels for height.

It happens when I build for the Oculus Quest, but looking at this thread, fixing that is still going to leave a threadcount problem. Guess I'll just delete Aura 2 and install Aura...

5. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Making my planning for next years projects and I'm wondering when Aura 2 will support HDRP? It is planned? A rough estimation of when would be great.

MrLucid72 likes this.
  6. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

I'd love an ETA for LWRP, too. It's very difficult to plan around "soon" or "eventually" ;D

7. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hey,
    I'm using the aura in my latest VR project and discovered that "Enable Shadows" does not work in single pass rendering mode.(unity 2019.2.12- Deferred).
    Is it a known limitation or a Unity version regression ?

8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

LWRP is deprecated already...

9. NiallT

NiallT

No it ain't -- it's just been renamed to Universal Rendering Pipeline, and it's the new default rendering system.

The assetstore entry for Aura 2 says:
    "Aura 2 currently does not support SRPs, LWRP, URP or HDRP."

Until URP and HDRP support are added, it's Aura 2 that should be considered deprecated now....
    (And this running to stand still why everyone hates Unity, and everyone eventually stops making code-based assets.)

10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It's not just a rename, URP also broke the post processing v2 compatibility.

11. NiallT

NiallT

Fair enough. You're right -- it's URP and HDRP that are important here, and they're going to very quickly become necessary for Aura 2 to continue to be useful.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  12. amarillosebas

amarillosebas

Blinking Aura point lights are generating extreme amounts of memory usage. I have an object with 8 point lights that blink following a pattern. I noticed that this behavior is causing something that looks like a memory leak.

The way I was making the lights blink was by activating and deactivating their parent game object. As a fix, I've switched to modifying the intensity of each light to 0 and then back to the original value. That stops the memory leak.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  13. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

With @raphick being seemingly inactive since October and no official date for URP support (or any of those new ones), is Aura 2 now considered deprecated? Time is crunching to make a decision and I believe we're going to pass on Aura 2: So far, it seems like using Aura 2 may be like jumping into a dark hole.

Anyone know alternatives that do support the new goodies?

14. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Any self shadowing?
    Does it dim the light as it passes through volume?

15. Stardog

Stardog

URP doesn't even feature match built-in yet, and HDRP already has volumetric lights...

Most people using LWRP/URP/HDRP should just stick to built-in.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  16. WesleyWorks

WesleyWorks

Hi, I don't know why this is happening, but whenever I rotate the camera, you can see a white-ish, bright colour before returning to a darker colour. A screenshot of this happening:

17. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Hi There
    Purchased your asset a while back and just starting to use it, looks very nice for the short time I have to test but I have an issue with transparent windows, I switched the shader over to the Aura 2 Alpha and that helps but they still really stand out and look un natural, is there a way to adjust the settings so that the windows look as nice as the rest of the objects.

18. DekkerC

DekkerC

"Pixel sizes of texture "Directional Light : Shadow Map Render Texture (UnityEngine.RenderTexture)" (512x512) does not match the required size of 256pixels for width and 256pixels for height."

I got it fixed by:
    -Going to Project settings > Quality
    -Disable all qualities except Ultra (or the best one you have)
    -Shadow cascades set to 'Four cascades'

The actual shadow mask size is calculated by Unity. One of the factors is your hardware and the used shadow quality setting (like shadow cascades).
    Reference: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightPerformance.html

@Aura2: Having the demanded shadow mask size set by code or user is bad practice as the shadow quality setting changes depending on user selected quality setting in the unity player.

dsilverthorn and NiallT like this.
  19. SamRock

SamRock

I am getting the below error since the last update. I am already unhappy that this asset has literally no online tutorial or guidance on how to make best use of it!
    PLEASE HELP!

Edit: Got it resolved on Discord. Just deleted the Auro 2 folder and reinstalled the asset

Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Invalid kernelIndex (0) passed, must be non-negative less than 0.
    2. Aura2API.Frustum.SetFrustumGridResolution (UnityEngine.Vector3Int frustumGridResolution) (at Assets/Aura 2/System/Code/Classes/Frustum.cs:902)
    3. Aura2API.Frustum..ctor (Aura2API.FrustumSettings frustumSettings, UnityEngine.Camera camera, Aura2API.AuraCamera auraComponent) (at Assets/Aura 2/System/Code/Classes/Frustum.cs:203)
    4. Aura2API.AuraCamera.Initialize () (at Assets/Aura 2/System/Code/Classes/AuraCamera.cs:277)
    5. Aura2API.AuraCamera.OnEnable () (at Assets/Aura 2/System/Code/Classes/AuraCamera.cs:177)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    dsilverthorn likes this.
  20. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Hi,
    I imported the package but now the editor show the Aura2 icons in the hierarchy, and the toolbar in the main editor view.
    Is there a way to remove them? I would expect that those would appear only if I add the Aura2 elements in the hierarchy, instead they are added as soon as you add the package to the project.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  21. CHOO5D

CHOO5D

Hi, there's this weird shadowy ghost effect when motion blur is turned on.

Any way to fix this?

dsilverthorn likes this.
  22. filipkovac

filipkovac

I'm Getting a problem in aura 2 with a function when i try to make a custom water system compatible with it.

Aura2_ApplyLighting(Color16_g1, BufferCoordinates16_g1, LightingFactor16_g1, LightingValue16_g1); Is the function that you call in you're UnlitTexture.Shader example. But when I call it inside my shader it only tells me that there is no such function that uses 4 arguments. I assume the functions are in the AuraUsage.cginc, but i don't see a Aura2_ApplyLighting function that has 4 arguments in that file. Can you clarify what the problem could be?

23. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Is there any support for this asset? The author hasn't replied to any questions for over a month, I bought this great looking asset but without support and help it's been a waste of money at the moment.

24. SamRock

SamRock

25. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

26. SamRock

SamRock

Yes that's what I thought too. I informed the dev on Discord to chckout the forum once. He acknowledged, but stil not seen. Not sure whats going on!

27. Shadowing

Shadowing

Shader error in 'Hidden/Aura2/StorePointLightShadowMap': failed to open source file: 'DepthAccumulation.cginc' at Assets/Scripts/Third Party Assets/Aura 2/System/Code/Shaders/Includes/CommonFunctions.cginc(20) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

Shader error in 'Hidden/Aura2/StorePointLightCookieMap': failed to open source file: 'DepthAccumulation.cginc' at Assets/Scripts/Third Party Assets/Aura 2/System/Code/Shaders/Includes/CommonFunctions.cginc(20) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

Shader error in 'Hidden/Aura2/PostProcessShader': failed to open source file: 'DepthAccumulation.cginc' at Assets/Scripts/Third Party Assets/Aura 2/System/Code/Shaders/Includes/CommonFunctions.cginc(20) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program

Shader error in 'Hidden/Aura2/ProcessOcclusionTextureShader': failed to open source file: 'DepthAccumulation.cginc' at Assets/Scripts/Third Party Assets/Aura 2/System/Code/Shaders/Includes/CommonFunctions.cginc(20) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program

Shader error in 'Aura 2/Particles/Blend Add': failed to open source file: 'DepthAccumulation.cginc' at Assets/Scripts/Third Party Assets/Aura 2/System/Code/Shaders/Includes/CommonFunctions.cginc(20) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with _USAGESTAGE_VERTEX _USAGETYPE_LIGHT

28. SamRock

SamRock

@Shadowing

Try what I did.
    1st Attempt: Goto Shaders folder and right-click Reimport
    2nd Remove the Auro 2 folder and reimport the whole asset (worked for me)

Lastly, goto Discord if you want hear from the dev. He doesnt seem to be active here

dsilverthorn likes this.
  29. Unplug

Unplug

can anyone provide a clear exemple of how to make R.A.M. compatible ? i'm using water river tesseled vertex color flow shader.

Second question, is there a way to confine the "layer" fog option to a certain area ? the cube volume doesnt really produce the same effect.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  30. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

This is from back in March, I assume it would still work. Dev said it is in the docs, but I haven't gotten into it in a while.

Question:
    Is there an actual example available that can be used as a blueprint for shader adjustments that needs to be done for Aura 2 compatibility?

Answer:
    The doc was update and I indeed intend to have a tutorial about it. RAM shaders are surface shaders so you'll need to have a look at the provided example:
    - open "Assets\Aura 2\System\Code\Shaders\Shaders\SurfaceShaders\AuraStandardAlphaBlended.shader"
    - copy the pragmas at lines 35 36 37
    - add "finalcolor:Aura2_Fog" in the surface pragma line
    - and copy lines 43->66 and 75->88 in your shader

Subliminum likes this.
  31. Unplug

Unplug

Got it to work,instruction wasn't clear for me (newbie with shader) and it is incomplete
    For newbie like me: the "add finalcolor:aura2_fog" is actually the text you want to add in the surface pragma line of RAM shader. So at the end of line 87 for Water River Tesseled Vertex Color Flow shader (you don't actually add a prama line but just the text to the existing one)

void Aura2_fog have to go after the struct and you must change SurfaceOutputStandard to SurfaceOutputStandardSpecular

float Aura2_getfogvalue and void Aura2_Applyfog goes before the struct.

by the way, Aura 2 is really an awesome package and it is easy to use. Great effect. I'm using enviro sky and combine with aura it is marvelous

dsilverthorn likes this.
  32. pdyatlov

pdyatlov

HDRP \ URP. When?

ftejada likes this.
  33. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Hi everyone.
    Happy New Year!

Trying out Aura again now that I've progressed enough to bring it in.
    How do I bring in different effects for different locations in my scene?
    Can there be multiple Auras in a scene for Biomes?
    Example: I'm using a desert effect but want it to change to a forest effect when entering a specific area and not real sure how it should be done.
    Would that be what Injection Volumes are used for? Can they be large areas or are there any other restrictions?

I appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction.

34. radiantboy

radiantboy

Im using unity 2020.1.0a12 does aura2 work on it? I say that because I literally can't see anything when I load the demos apart from some light sources moving. Ie, it doesnt seem to do anything.
    Id love to see some fog slightly illuminated with particles etc, but no demos have it and theres no tuts I can find.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  35. Unplug

Unplug

looking for some help from more experience user. Out of a suddent a stop seeing aura preview in editor or ingame. No matter if i choose disable aura preview or not in the scene view. The scene contain multiple camera, all of them are turn off but one, doesn't change if i set camera to main or not.

what should i be looking first ?

36. Freznosis

Freznosis

Hello, I'm not a developer but I'll answer some questions you have since it seems the developer isn't active anymore.

As of right now, HDRP has it's own volumetric solution that is tightly integrated and works better in my opinion. I would stick to that since the dev isn't updating us anymore.

Do this by using the various volumes in the Aura 2 menu.

I usually use a box, but you can use any type of volume you want. If you want to use one of the preset volumes, you can spawn it by using the display preset chooser. Then on the spawned preset volume, just copy the settings. Then paste it onto the volume you are using for your biome, and change it from Global to Box. Hope this helps.

Aura 2 was submitted with 2017.4 and seems to have been tested thoroughly with 2017, 2018, and up to 2019.2. 2019.3 has broken a lot of assets on the store, and since the dev hasn't responded, it's safe to assume it doesn't officially work with anything above 2019.2. However, I've had problems with Aura 2 itself that made the effect not show. I fixed it by deleting all components, then reimporting Aura 2, then adding components back.

Try what I said above. Before you reimport everything, make sure Aura 2 preview is disabled. Then after reimport, enable the preview.

dsilverthorn and radiantboy like this.
  37. Subliminum

Subliminum

I think Raphael is on holidays, but he/support may be back. A lot of people are quite busy this time of year but the developer is active and can be reached with relative ease on discord or via support contact. He just doesn't frequent the Unity Forum.

https://discord.gg/749beZM

Feel free to join the discord if you're finding this forum a little stagnant.

38. John1515

John1515

I just got Aura2, no errors showing up
    Unity2019.2.x on MacOS in a clean project (apart from a 3D asset), classic render pipeline, metal enabled, standard win/mac/linux target.
    But when I click the presets, only the lighting changes (color, position), I don't see any fog or anything special.
    The camera and directional light have an aura icon in the scene hierarchy.
    What else should I to setup?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  39. stonstad

stonstad

Does anyone know if Aura 2 has a limitation around size and scale? i.e. if I am building a space scene with large distances -- can Aura 2 support a relative change in scale from 1 unit = 1 meter to something different, i.e. 1 unit = 1km? I had some trouble with this in the past using Aura 1.

40. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Not sure if you did this, but make sure to hit the camera icon on the top of the Aura side bar to add Aura 2 to camera and the appropriate light icon to add Aura 2 to the light. I know for me, when I forget to hit the correct buttons, there are no effects.
    Hope it is that simple.;)

41. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Seems support for this has dried up, no replies here, no replies for two weeks on Discord.

42. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I guess they are on a long holiday.
    I know he got real busy after the humble bundle thing and needed a break.
    I hope it gets going and some support soon.
    Other than that, as many assets go, we only have each other to try to figure out how everything works.:rolleyes:

43. John1515

John1515

It was featured in a "humble bundle" and the dev was/is overloaded with QA as I understood it.

44. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

The Humble Bundle was more than 3 months ago, must be a lot of issues with the system to still being swamped after that length of time.

45. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Go read the discord and see.
    Seems some people were even asking how to use Unity instead of the asset. Maybe their first time starting, we’ve all been there. The bundle just put him in a spot because it looks so good and the complete newcomers were lost and asking for advice beyond the asset.

I believe he stopped for break right around Christmas, keep an eye on discord, maybe someone else will answer your questions if he’s not there.

But be nice about it. So many developers drop out because the community can very hard on them at times. In my opinion.

We are all here in the forums and discord to help each other if we can.

Subliminum likes this.
  46. Subliminum

Subliminum

Gotta bare in mind that also a lot of devs do this full time and need a holiday as well :) we're only a week and a half into 2020

dsilverthorn likes this.
  47. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I would also like to know if there are any examples on setting up the transparent shaders in Aura 2, they work but as mentioned above they really stand out from non transparent objects in a very unnatural way.

48. Shadowing

Shadowing

I'm getting this error.
    Unity 2019.2.16
    Latest version of Aura 2

Graphics.CopyTexture called with null source texture
    UnityEngine.Graphics:CopyTexture(Texture, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, Texture, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32)
    Aura2API.Texture2DArrayComposer:Generate() (at Assets/Aura 2/Core/Code/Classes/Texture2DArrayComposer.cs:221)
    Aura2API.LightsCommonDataManager:GenerateLightsMaps() (at Assets/Aura 2/Core/Code/Classes/LightsCommonDataManager.cs:736)
    Aura2API.LightsCommonDataManager:Update() (at Assets/Aura 2/Core/Code/Classes/LightsCommonDataManager.cs:394)
    Aura2API.CommonDataManager:UpdateData() (at Assets/Aura 2/Core/Code/Classes/CommonDataManager.cs:105)
    Aura2API.AuraCamera:OnRenderImage(RenderTexture, RenderTexture) (at Assets/Aura 2/Core/Code/Classes/AuraCamera.cs:202)

sumalab10 and unity_1010meha like this.
  49. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Is it just me or has the Discord server for this down, I can't get access for a couple of days.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  50. Mauri

Mauri

Its up, but there's only one room called
    #server-in-maintenance
    (in case you meant that).

dsilverthorn likes this.