Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[BEST ARTISTIC TOOL - UNITY AWARDS 2019] Aura 2 - Volumetric Lighting & Fog

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by raphick, Feb 27, 2019.

1. SamRock

SamRock

Not fixed yet. Raph (the Aura 2 dev) has taken a Discord ticket number to work on a fix.

2. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Ok. Thanks!

SamRock likes this.
  3. raphick

raphick

This is a bug on their side I have reported long ago. I will try to circumvent it.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  4. Player7

Player7

I am also getting this error spammed in example aura2 projects.. fresh import of the latest package on latest 2019.3

actually the error is only on the directional light scene, same error on my own project scene.. using a directional light with enviro asset also .. am using NGSS aswel

also why in the hell is the mouse input inverted for the example scenes demo?!

5. raphick

raphick

Update 2.1.9
    submitted with the following changes :

Changes

- [Core] Fixed “Shadow Map Render Texture does not match the required size” and “Graphics.CopyTexture called with null source” issues related to cascaded shadows

dsilverthorn, Rowlan and SamRock like this.
  6. Sir_patrickl

Sir_patrickl

Hi, I have a very basic shader that I'm using for fading objects in and out which I got from Unity shader lab samples. I want to use Aura 2 with this shader but I have no idea how to get it working or if it is even possible.

I read the Aura docs but I'm clueless about shaders and how to apply the snippets into this shader since I don't have a vertex shader definition. I tried adding a bare bones one but not sure what values to pass to the Aura functions:

Here is my shader:

Code (csharp):
    1. Shader "Transparent/Diffuse ZWrite" {
    2. Properties {
    3.     _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    4.     _MainTex ("Base (RGB) Trans (A)", 2D) = "white" {}
    5. }
    6. SubShader {
    7.     Tags {"Queue"="Transparent" "IgnoreProjector"="True" "RenderType"="Transparent"}
    8.     LOD 200
    10.     // extra pass that renders to depth buffer only
    11.     Pass {
    12.         ZWrite On
    13.         ColorMask 0
    14.     }
    16.     // paste in forward rendering passes from Transparent/Diffuse
    17.     UsePass "Transparent/Diffuse/FORWARD"
    18. }
    19. Fallback "Diffuse"
    20. }
    Any examples on how to apply it to this simple shader would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

7. raphick

raphick

Have you tried one of the provided shaders?

8. Sir_patrickl

Sir_patrickl

Yeah I tried the 'Standard Alpha Blend' shader but it doesn't use the correct ordering of the mesh so you see the insides of the meshes.

Here is an example of what I mean (Aura left, my shader right):

aura2_fade_comparison.png

9. raphick

raphick

Zwriting in a transparent shader is certainly not the correct way of doing for me. It works in your case but this is specific and will produce strong sorting artifact in normal cases.

10. khos

khos

Anyone else notice a memory leak with Aura2?

Without Aura2:
    WithoutAURA2.PNG

With Aura2 (after about a minute of pressing play):
    WithAura2.PNG

If I disable the Aura2 on the camera memory use is constant..
    Would welcome any tips on this.

11. raphick

raphick

Hi! Have you been able to use the profiler and narrow down which Aura 2 process takes that much memory? There are textures copies but they should be assigned once and not continuously

12. khos

khos

Many thanks for your reply.

In the profiler > memory > texture memory value is going up and up.

Also the summary details:
    Textures: 1415 / 1.51 GB
    This is going up and up all the time.

I do not know how to narrow down which Aura 2 process takes that much memory (as you ask), can you give some guidance or steps to this then I can check and give feedback.

How to prevent the textures from being re-assigned continuously?

13. raphick

raphick

Hello
    Have you updated to the latest version? I already fixed a memory leak related to textures in version 2.1.7

14. khos

khos

Thanks, I tried to check the version I use but can't find that anywhere, can you advise which file I should check?

15. khos

khos

I backed up my project, removed the aura2 folder, installed Aura 2 from the asset store, but seems the issue continues.
    If you could provide some guidance regarding:
    -How to check which Aura 2 process takes that much memory in profiler.
    -How to prevent the textures from being re-assigned continuously? e.g. is there some code change to force it? I would be happy to try that if there is an option.
    That would be much appreciated.
    I am using 2018.4.14f1 if that makes any difference.

16. khos

khos

Issue discovered, I had one light that is flashing in my scene... I was controlling this by turning the light gameobject on/off via script, every time it was turned on/off the texture memory increased. I am now controlling the on off via GetComponent<AuraLight>().strength... no more memory leak.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  17. Blue-Wolf

Blue-Wolf

Love Aura 2, spices up my scenes. Any update on plans for console support (PS4/Xbox One/Switch)? It's hard to use it for multi-platform development without certainty there.

mmaclaurin likes this.
  18. raphick

raphick

That should have been fixed. I must have at this particular situation.

Thank you very much!
    I understand, truly. I also need to plan for urp which is a nightmare. However, please understand that I do not own myself all the dev kits so it will be difficult to remain sure that it will work on all consoles.

19. khos

khos

Hi,
    I am loving this asset, I have question though, lights work ok for me if they point at camera, but I don't see the volume part in play mode, see sample screenshot:
    Untitled.png

Why is the light not showing the volume part in play mode/game view? I am on highest quality setting.
    I know aura2 is working with as if I disabled the aura camera component I see differences:
    On:
    1.PNG
    Off:
    2.PNG

I think it might be related to some settings on the aura camera component but not sure, any advice would be welcome.

20. raphick

raphick

Hello, can you try with closing/hiding the scene view?
    What Unity version are you on?

21. khos

khos

Hi, I'm on Unity 2018.4.14f1. I tried your suggestion but did not seem to make a difference.
    I noticed if I disable the "Enable Denoising filter" under experimental features it change the behaviour. If I disable that I get the volume light nicely but it changes the way the rest of my scene looks.
    Video:

I understand that this is an experimental feature, but wonder if there is a way to get the volume part the light to show with my current config. Thanks for any advice/support on this.

22. raphick

raphick

Yes denoising is very under work. It will tend to fade/blend the lighting especially if there is a low reprojection factor -> higher jittering.
    This is something I intend to stabilize for 2.2

I don't understand your last question.

23. khos

khos

No problem, can this setting be adjusting per light? Can I exclude a light from the denoising ?

24. raphick

raphick

Sorry there is no notion of light anymore at this stage. The volumetric lighting is batched at a previous stage.

25. raphick

raphick

Introducing new volumetric Environment Scattering feature
    This feature will let you control how the scene is diffracted by the volumetric fog.

Aura2_EnvironmentScattering.gif

26. Jesus

Jesus

This is huge, and one feature that will set Aura apart.

Previously I'd done something similar when someone released the Screen-Space Multiple Scattering Image Effect, but that was for back in Unity 2017, and implementation was straight outta the ghetto (but that's mostly my fault).

Features like this put Aura back at the top of the fog systems.

OCASM likes this.
  27. raphick

raphick

Wasn't it the case already? :p

mmaclaurin likes this.
  28. raphick

raphick

Update 2.1.10

Changes

- [Core] Fixed “Texture not set” error, that could be blocking on non DX platforms, when both Occlusion and Reprojection are enabled
    - [Core] Fixed blocking error when Occlusion is disabled and Reprojection is enabled

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  29. p13t3rm

p13t3rm

Hey there Raphick, love aura 2 and have used it on several of my 3D PC projects.

Just recently started using it in a VR environment and have noticed some odd behavior with the way the god rays and light shafts work in stereo mode for me.

In the top photo you'll see how aura shows in the scene preview and then below how it shows on the VR headset.

I noticed that almost a year ago someone had the same issue here, but it looks like they never responded to you regarding grid resolution potentially being the issue.

I tried adjusting that and didn't notice a difference. Any ideas what the issue might be?

Thanks!

Working.jpg NotWorking.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  30. raphick

raphick

Hi! VR behaviours have changed in Unity across versions. I need to take care of that.
    Can you give me more information about your settings/platform/target?

31. vice39

vice39

Does anyone know if this asset works well on the Oculus Quest VR headset?

32. ksam2

ksam2

How render it before image effects? I mean camera effects doesn't effect it?

33. raphick

raphick

It should work with Vulkan but the hardware itself is very weak so you might need to tweak down the quality

Just put Aura 2 up the post process and it will be applied before applying the other post processes

34. ksam2

ksam2

No I want apply image effects on it but seems it ignores my camera effects.

35. Torches

Torches

Hello, I am getting some errors on build (Windows). If I disable shadows on all Aura Directional Lights the build will succeed but none of the Aura Point Lights will cast shadows. I have completely deleted Aura 2 and cleared it off all game objects and re-imported it, same results. Unity version 2019.3.0a7. Any thoughts?

Pixel sizes of texture "Directional Light : Shadow Map Render Texture (UnityEngine.RenderTexture)" (256x256) does not match the required size of 512pixels for width and 512pixels for height.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object, Object)
    Aura2API.Texture2DArrayComposer:AddTexture(Texture) (at Assets/Aura 2/Core/Code/Classes/Texture2DArrayComposer.cs:154)
    Aura2API.LightsCommonDataManager:RegisterLight(AuraLight) (at Assets/Aura 2/Core/Code/Classes/LightsCommonDataManager.cs:425)
    Aura2API.AuraLight:Initialize() (at Assets/Aura 2/Core/Code/Classes/AuraLight.cs:491)
    Aura2API.AuraLight:OnEnable() (at Assets/Aura 2/Core/Code/Classes/AuraLight.cs:298)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Error building Player: Pixel sizes of texture "Directional Light : Shadow Map Render Texture (UnityEngine.RenderTexture)" (256x256) does not match the required size of 512pixels for width and 512pixels for height.

OnRenderImage() possibly didn't write anything to the destination texture!
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

36. monsieurA

monsieurA

Hello,

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask, but do we have any idea on when universal render pipeline will be supported?

Thx

KarlKarl2000 and m-b-u-d-d like this.
  37. huntermfox

huntermfox

Hello!

According to page 18 of the Documentation, there is a way to incorporate Transparent Shaders! But I'm dumb and don't understand the first 3 steps!

Is there a better tutorial on this? What the hek does #include mean?

38. raphick

raphick

Can you screenshot your camera components?

Hey! Are you up to date? I submitted a fix related to the very same problem in version 2.1.9

Only God (or any equivalent that suits you) knows T_T

Hey! You not dumb at all, I must say that this is very specific manipulations that must be simple for shader coders. I wrongly assumed this part would only be read by them. I plan on making a tutorial video about integrating Aura 2 in your transparent shaders.

39. raphick

raphick

Planning the future of the Aura suite
    and the mysterious sibling...

Roadmap.png

florianBrn and OCASM like this.
  40. khos

khos

All this we need to pay for if released, or free?

41. raphick

raphick

There will be an upgrade discount for Aura 3, Nitro is a completely different product :cool:

42. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Hi @raphick

Sorry if you've been asked a lot. But will you consider a URP \ HDRP support for Aura2? I wanted to switch over to URP, but found out Aura2 won't work with it.:oops:

Thank you

43. AndrewJamesBowen

AndrewJamesBowen

Is there intention to get this running for the web? Will it be possible? I get a couple of errors is all

upload_2020-5-14_20-54-41.png

Or if I have to remove a specific feature, let me know.

I'm on latest Aura 2 + Unity 2019.3.10

44. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hello,
    I have Aura 2 inside my project (2019.3.2 Standard Built-In). I won't be using it in the project. Tried to delete the Aura 2 folder but after that I can't select or rotate anything in the editor scene window... restoring the folder in the project brings back everything to normal... How can get rid of Aura 2 in my project properly? is there anything special about that asset that I'm not aware of? thanks

45. raphick

raphick

There is no eta nor engagement regarding the support of the URP. It will be dependant on the URP roadmap since Aura2 waits for specific features from them. I am in contact with them now we'll have to wait and see how much our needs align.

Not at all sorry. WebGL is too limited and targets are too uncertain to make Aura2 work.

I've had a recent feedback like this on 2019.2 as well. It worked before. I'm investigating.
    Does it still freeze even after rebooting Unity?

Cheers

46. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Ok thank you!:)
    I have my fingers crossed that Aura2 can support URP. I'd imagine many users going forward would love to have their projects work with URP and Aura2

47. pixeloved

pixeloved

When can we expect some tutorials? On Discord there is no 'ask a question' channel, and I could use some help, especially with fog.
    Anyone have idea why my character seems to be semi-transparent when there is no background plane? The same happens when character jumps.
    Sorry for newbie question..

upload_2020-5-17_12-30-11.png
    upload_2020-5-17_12-28-39.png
    upload_2020-5-17_12-31-37.png

Freznosis likes this.
  48. AndrewJamesBowen

AndrewJamesBowen

No worries, thank you for replying :)

Good to set expectations now, and I'll see what alternatives I can do

raphick likes this.
  49. raphick

raphick

Hi! No worries, can you check that your character in not using a transparent shader, or is not rendered in the transparent pass?

pixeloved likes this.
  50. raphick

raphick

Update 2.1.11

Changes

- [Core] Improved verbosity about unsupported platforms. Logs will now explicit the failing platform and the reason(s) why Aura 2 is not supported
    - [Shaders] Highly improved and eased integration of Aura 2 for surface shaders. See AuraStandardAlphaBlended.shader for a guided example

Additions

- [Examples] Added an example scene with one transparent object made with a surface shader and one with a legacy shader

KarlKarl2000 likes this.