Search Unity

Best approach to creating mini games that randomize its question each round?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by CaseAddiction, Jun 7, 2018.

1. CaseAddiction

CaseAddiction

I don't really know if this post belongs here but I am in need of some help.

I'm creating a learning game (app for Android) that's based off of a mathematics textbook. There's the main topics which each contains subtopics. My approach to this is to create mini games for each of the subtopics so that kids would answer randomly picked questions from the mini game (subtopic) of their choosing but I'm not sure how to do this. I'm mainly using UI for the questions and answers and there would be tutorials for each of the mini games since each of them are different.

So I guess the flow would be like this if its still unclear:

Start of the game -> Select topic -> Select subtopic -> Play tutorial -> Randomly select 3 questions from a pool -> Track whether they answered correct or wrong (I'm using SQLite to store the score)

I'm relatively new to Unity so I'm not sure how to approach this effectively and any criticism and/or feedback is welcomed as I am trying to learn this.

2. Doug_B

Doug_B

Hi CaseAddiction,

The game flow you mention is fairly straightforward. As a short answer to your question, you will want to learn about using Unity's UI objects, making random selections and probably look into different C# data structures (e.g. : array, list, dictionary) amongst other things.

However, probably your best bet to start with is to follow some general tutorials to get yourself going. At the very top of this page, is a link to "Learn" which is a good place to start. Have fun. :)

JoeStrout likes this.