Search Unity

Best approach for swapping gear on an animated 2D Character

Discussion in '2D' started by Emirk, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Emirk

Emirk

Hi guys,

In 3D, the approach is simple: A 3D model is animated according to the bones of the 3D model. Adding a helmet or changing shoes is just a matter of attaching a gameobject to the right bone or swapping a texture. But what about 2D animations?

For example: An artist gives me a spritesheet of a roll animation of the main character. How would I go about adding a helmet or changing the shoes without having to have a different roll animation for each combination of gear?

In the 2D example project by Unity, the main character is composed of different body parts: head, eyes, feet etc. The animations are then done within Unity. In that case, I suppose, it's rather easy to replace the sprites. But what about more complex animations, such as rolling?

I'm aware that one solution is to have a 3D-model with 3D-animations and just render it in 2D, but that would require a lot more work (modeling, skinning, uv-mapping etc.).

I'm sure some of you guys have encountered this problem. What's the best approach here?

Thanks

2. monegames1225

monegames1225

if you are using a normal spritesheet, you would need one for each set of equipment that the character could wear. If you used vector graphics and a bone system like spine or some that are on the asset store you could have a system similar to what you use for 3d, where you replace the body parts, such as chest armor, or add gameobjects for the armor, such as helments.