Search Unity

Question Best approach for scaling collider

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by Kowarenai, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Kowarenai

Kowarenai

As part of the software I'm developing, I need to allow users to change the uniform scale of objects at runtime, and have the colliders be scaled/regenerated with the mesh (similarly to how this would work when scaling a gameobject in unity). I had a little try with this a while ago, and the collider seemed to scale with the rendermesh when it was a sphere, but not when set to a convex hull.

Only a few objects will be scaled at a time, so I'm not worried about having the collider scaling be fast.

Is there currently a way of doing this, ideally without using unsafe code? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  2. argibaltzi

argibaltzi

as far as i know when changing colliders you need to recreate the collider and the physics mass components
    there is some way using unsafe code to change the collider size, but you are entering grey area

milos85miki likes this.
  3. milos85miki

milos85miki

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    NotaNaN likes this.
  4. Kowarenai

Kowarenai

I'm thinking that it might be wise to delay this feature in my project until the very end in the hope that Unity adds a safe and performant way of doing it before release.

5. petarmHavok

petarmHavok

We will be looking into this in the coming releases. No concrete timelines yet, but it's high on our list.

NotaNaN likes this.