Search Unity

Besmashed Release 1.0

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by proparjak, Dec 15, 2007.

1. proparjak

proparjak

Hello !
    I clumsily announced the opening of our website and blog with resuscitate a dead topic.
    Sorry for the double, I'll stay on this present topic to regulary give news of the development of our first game that would be released in january.

Awaiting this moment, we'll make an online demo very soon in december. Before that, new posts on our blog show musics and an unity webplayer characters advanced showcase.

General adresses are :
    http://www.gamepulp.com/
    http://blog.gamepulp.com/

The characters showcase is on : http://blog.gamepulp.com/2007/12/14/characters-showcase

Thank you.
    See you soon ! :)

2. SerKevin

SerKevin

You character design is great. I can't wait to see what these look like in a game.

3. proparjak

proparjak

Thank you SerKevin :)
    We hardly work to have a demo the next week.

4. proparjak

proparjak

A first prototype allowed us to make a trailer.
    You can see it's in development but it shows all levels with their musics and 5 power-ups on 20 provided.

So I'm glad to announce our first trailer at : http://blog.gamepulp.com/2008/01/09/fight-pong-trailer

Thank you.

5. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Very nice! 8)

6. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Very very nice!

7. proparjak

proparjak

Thank you very much ! :D

8. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Multiplayer -> YEAH BABY gogogo !!!!

Makes me think of Wii Sports Tennis on the Wii by the way :)

9. proparjak

proparjak

And the multiplayer is ok !

We are proud (again ^^) to show you our online public beta version at this page :
    http://fightpong.gamepulp.com/demo/

Come on everybody ! to test multiplayer mode, but you can play with a friend on one computer in 2-player mode or directly alone against the machine :)

10. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I had some weird screen flashing while waiting for the game to load (see screenshot).

I also never got to play, even if I selected 1 player mode. The screen just said "waiting for your opponent".

I'm running this on a 17" iMac, OSX 10.4.11, and FireFox 2.0.0.11

Attached Files:

11. benblo

benblo

Hey I'm Ben, the scripter working with proparjak.

Ahem... that looks like a dirty layout to me, congrats proparjak :D ! (I shouldn't be too hard on him though, he comes from the old-school table layout industry and has just taken divs and css... have some respect for the elderly.)
    We see the flicker on OSX too, but the weird thing is, on our windows Firefox (same version as yours) there's no flicker.

Did you have a beta version of the Unity plugin? Did it update to the final release?
    I had a beta version here, and the upgrade wasn't flawless: it launched the game while upgrading (so the game was messy), then actually crashed FF.
    Once that's done, it's golden on all our machines!

12. Obscurity

Obscurity

That is a great turn on an old game. I like it a lot. Wonderful lunchtime distraction.

13. proparjak

proparjak

Thank you Obscurity :)

The webplayer doesn't blink now ;)

14. polytropoi

polytropoi

Very nice, I love the colors and personality of characters and environment. The gameplay is fun, although I didn't manage to score a goal in single player mode.

15. benblo

benblo

Yeah, the AI's a bitch isn't he 8) ? Dumb, but with reflexes from hell! (and they weren't even at 100%)
    It's good for practice though, as it forces you to take advantage of the items. Send him a few Armageddons and it's a guaranteed goal.

Still, I just tuned it down a notch, should be less of a challenge to beat now.
    I'll have to make various AI levels for the final release... including the "brick wall" mode, with 100% accuracy :) !

Also, we worked a lot on the networking this last couple days, it's a lot easier to connect now, yay.

16. proparjak

proparjak

17. proparjak

proparjak

News that will make Davey happy I hope :)
    We completed the community page of Gamepulp to show Widget United better (in english and french).

Thank you to show Besmashed as you done. I would have a remark though : it's Besmashed, not Bemashed, Davey ;)

18. proparjak

proparjak

Besmashed 1.0 Released !

5 characters with their environment:
    - A teddy-bear, Mr Doudou, in an acid colored mushroom field.
    - A fairy, Duvna, in a nightly glade.
    - A witch, Minerva, in a Celtic sacred ground.
    - A robot, Bug 2.0, in a virtual space.
    - A ghost warrior, Krog, in an infernal battlefield.

Each character has got its power, liberated by the « Super » item:
    - Mr Doudou shoots a love ball which inverts moving controls.
    - Duvna crystallizes and stops her concurrent.
    - Minerva changes her concurrent into a small frog with a small racket.
    - Bug 2.0 tazes his opponent (makes him slower) with an electric charge.
    - Krog flings his axe and knocks over his concurrent.

On top of these powers, 14 items will appear on the terrain and turn a simple tennis game into a fast-paced challenge.

Rugby ball: the ball becomes a rugby ball, making it bounce unpredictably.
    Multi-ball: the ball splits in 3, keeping its initial state (for example, a rugby ball becomes 3 rugby balls). Each new ball counts as a goal.
    Fast ball: the ball speed increases.
    Slow ball: the ball speed decreases.
    Gulliver: the character becomes a giant.
    Pygmy: the character becomes a pygmy.
    Run: the player cannot stop running.
    Smash: when used, the next ball the player touches will be smashed (much faster rebound). If the opponent catches it, it’ll return to its normal speed.
    Super: unlocks the player’s unique super-attack (depends on the character).
    Armageddon: when used, shoots a laser ray that will sweep the entire field towards his opponent, blocking the ball along its way.
    Wall: when used, shoots one-way walls. The ball can cross the wall when going from the player to his opponent, but bounces on the other way (opponent towards player).
    Ice: when used, shoots ice towards the opponent, making his ground slippery.
    Shield: protect player against opponent's super attacks.
    Life: 1-up.

Parameters

The player can define several parameters:

The player can choose his name, associated with an online profile.
    Whole game presets can be defined: number of lifes, ball speed, type frequency of the items.
    Music and sound volumes.
    Several camera options.

Games

3 game modes are available in solo:

« Quest »
    The player goes through 15 levels, with progressive difficulty.
    The progression is saved in the profile.
    New items are introduced on every level. New challenges are also unlocked gradually.

« Single Match »
    The player can define all game parameters: the characters, the stage-set, and the usual game parameters (see above).

« Instant Action »
    The computer chooses random settings to play immediately.

2-Player Offline game:

Two players face each other on the same computer, sharing a keyboard or using gamepads.
    Fully customizable, as in a solo single match.

2-Player Online game:

Two players face each other via Internet or local network.
    The player has access to a list of online games. He can join one, or create his own for someone else to join.
    Fully customizable, as in a solo single match.

Challenge mode:

The principle of every challenge is the same: survive as long as possible without getting any goal, while your opponent (the computer) places you in a difficult situation.

Available challenges:
    your commands are reversed permanently
    your side is covered with ice permanently
    your cannot stop running
    your racket gets smaller every time you touch the ball
    Krog constantly throws Armageddons.

The player can save his score online (each challenge has its own highscore board).
    There’s no limit to how long one can survive (although one will eventually loose, since the ball is accelerating slightly every few seconds).

Each challenge is unlocked when the player reaches a certain level in the Quest mode.

Game presets

Several presets are available, that drastically modify the overall gameplay.
    For example, with the default preset, the players start with 10 lifes and the ball is relatively easy to catch, so each goal count and the players have to use offensive powerups to impair their opponent.
    With the “multiball” preset however, the players start with 50 lifes, and the terrain soon gets crowded with new balls, so it’s more a matter of shepherding the mass of balls. No powerups are available so reflexes are everything.

Of course, the user can also create, fully customize, and save, his own presets.

Future

New items challenges will be added regularly (available by downloading game updates), to keep the game alive and the users hooked.
    New game modes are also being studied, as well as more multiplayer options (8-players online tournaments for example).

19. evicubix

evicubix

congrats for the release proparjak,
    hopefully it will sell a lot :wink:
    i'd love to play the online/web version if you have one :D

20. proparjak

proparjak

Thank you evicubix !
    The final web version will be there monday the next week, a small bug are waiting for Ben who is in vacation :)
    It will be Lite with advertising.

(I saw your work, it's very funny. I like !)

21. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

What? Get that guy home already, doesn't he know we're impatiently waiting for this? :D

Nice work!

22. Dreamora

Dreamora

very interesting and funny game :)
    makes much more fun than one would believe at first

23. proparjak

proparjak

:D

Thank you ! :D

Thank you !
    You touched an important thing. It's not the first I heard this feedback.
    May be we have to work harder on the presentation/marketing.

24. Dreamora

Dreamora

It has nothing to do with the presentation thing at least to me.
    Its because "its another pong", as I've been video game player for over 2 decades now this is just the first reaction triggered but I'm normally willing to see if something is different in a good way to the classics :)

But adding user comments on the page or the like perhaps would make others try it out as well and experience it for themself

25. proparjak

proparjak

good idea !

Thank you ! ;)