Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Bent normals confusion

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by EricFFG, Apr 23, 2022.

1. EricFFG

EricFFG

TLDR: Does unity create me a bent normal automatically if I have a normal and an AO map?

Ive been reading this thread about specular occlusion https://forum.unity.com/threads/specular-occlusion.963929/

But now im noticing that if I just turn on Specular Occlusion from AO and Bent normal in the shader,
    I am getting a bent normal generated somehow from unity and it works as if I had added a baked bent normal

I cant find anything about that

From AO:
    FromAO.png

From Bent and AO:
    Clearly a big improvement here and I dont have a bent normal texture
    BentAndAO.png

Is this really how it works?

Btw Custom ones can also work well:

Custom.png

Based on light direction
    upload_2022-4-23_1-15-0.png

Anyone seeing this, really turn on the setting for AO and Bent normal

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

upload_2022-4-23_16-55-33.png

Which mode are you using for without the maps? Perhaps it's a UI thing...

3. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

On a shadergrah, if no bent normal is provided the normal is used instead.
    Then it uses a different algorithm than the "From AO" option, which may result in a better result if the mesh normal is pointing somewhat towards the light (ie. if it's close to the bent normal)

4. EricFFG

EricFFG

Ah I see, thats a good deed

Id definitely recommend for people to use that when having baked normal meshes
    This should be in the documentation however

5. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Yes and actually it's weird that this behavior isn't consistent with our Lit shader. I'll make a note to add that in the documentation and unify the behaviors. Thanks for reporting it !