Search Unity

Benefit of making scenes addressable?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Xarbrough, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Why would I want to mark a scene as addressable? Currently, in my project, I have all scenes in the editor build settings list and load them via the SceneManager. However, all (or probably most) of the assets used in my scenes are marked as addressable and part of the default local group. Does this lead to duplicated assets, increased player size, or memory consumption?

2. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

Yes, you will have duplicate assets, one for the built-in scenes, and another for addressables. Making the scenes addressable will solve that.
    Making scenes addressable will also reduce your player size, though that might be negligible if you require a large initial scene to start the game anyway.
    Memory consumption also has the potential to be doubled if you have one asset built in to the scene, then instantiate the same asset from addressables. However, once you instantiate extra copies of either or both, the impact of that extra memory will be reduced.

3. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Thanks for the answer! However, I'm still confused. I've tested my current project and got the following results for the player size:
    40 MB: All scenes (and their assets) in build settings, nothing addressable.
    60 MB: No scenes in build settings, all scenes and assets addressable.

This kind of looks like there is more duplication going on when I make all scenes addressable.

4. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

Is your initial scene large? Your initial scene should be pretty much empty with just a script that loads the play scene.

You can use the addressables analyze tool to see what duplicates you have.