Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Being harassed and threatened for free codes for my packs on the Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by KnifeMedia, Dec 17, 2016.

1. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

This is a bit of a weird one.

I'm being sent obvious bot messages begging me for free codes for my pack "AAA Medieval Castle Interiors": https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/59713

Yesterday I replied, telling them to rather just buy my asset. The user replied, in Portuguese, that he would instead buy it and leave a 1 star review. He is actually threatening me.

Now, obviously it's some kid out in Portugal trying to be hardcore. However, I think Unity should be aware that I now might have to deal with having a 1 star review falsely pushed onto my profile. This is absolutely unacceptable and could end up harming my sales. Whoever this user is he needs to be banned, or Unity should at least remove any reviews he leaves.

This is surreal to say the least!

Proof (with names edited out, so it doesn't get pulled):

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. Martin_H

Martin_H

I've heard about the same thing happening on a larger scale to indie devs on steam, where the free keys given out for "giveaway promos" will then end up being sold on g2a and similar sites. Really scumbag thing to do of those people. It's basically like a digital mugging.

@Buhlaine: is this something you can help with, or at least point the OP towards someone who can?

Buhlaine and KnifeMedia like this.
  3. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

It's treated basically the same way you would a hostage situation, no negotiations, for the same reasons. If you pay up, it's profitable, and it will encourage the activity more. Just ignore them, if they leave a bad review pass the email over to Unity reps. Good to know that the art of blackmail is still alive and well.

KnifeMedia and Martin_H like this.
  4. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

So I trolled him a little back (gave him a fake code several times). He eventually ragequit.

It's still a nasty practice and they definitely need to be aware of this.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. Ian-Dunlap

Ian-Dunlap

Administrator

Hi Knife, This is certainly some unfortunately bold actions from this user. If you do find they are leaving negative reviews or actively targeting your product in any way, feel free to reach out to me directly with any information you have and we will investigate.

Cheers,
    Ian Dunlap
    Asset Store Content Manager

vlmr_maslov and Buhlaine like this.