Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Behavior for long range enemy when player is too close

Discussion in 'AI & Navigation Previews' started by juicedup, Oct 29, 2022.

1. juicedup

juicedup

EDIT: sorry I posted in the wrong forum, I followed a google link and it took me to previews forum instead of the main forum, i reposted the thread here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/behavior-for-long-range-enemy-when-player-is-too-close.1354871/
    feel free to delete this thread, mods
    1. I'm working on the AI system for an action game. My question is about pathfinding. I have a long range pathfinding a position a bit far from the player say I want it to be 5 units away for it to stop pathfinding and do an attack. What should I do if the player gets too close? how can I tell the enemy where to go if it's TOO CLOSE
    2. keep in mind the levels are randomly generated so I can't make predetermined spots for it to go should I just make it raycast in a direction away from the player and go to the hit point if there's nothing in the way?what if the enemy is a corner?
    3. should I make it so the enemy has a short range attack and have the enemy attack until it dies?
    4. how do games typically approach this problem?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  2. MaxWitsch

MaxWitsch

Do you use a simplification layer for your AI? For example a FiniteStateMachine or a BehaviorTree?
    These systems allow you to conditionally change behavior.
    I found myself in the same situation and decided to setup my AI with a BehaviorTree.
    I chose a BT because it has an easy to understand decision path.

To elaborate BehaviourTrees a little more...
    after the AI makes a choice (e.g. "close for ranged weapon")
    You can just go to a new branch to make new decisions ("should the AI run away/should the AI go to CloseCombat").

Finite State Machines (as known from Animator) could also be a solution.
    However, sloppy FSMs can quickly become very confusing and are a bit more difficult to debug.

There are some very feature-rich and easy to use assets available on the Assetstore.