Search Unity

Beginnerquestion about Licence with 2 People on a project

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Art3m1s-G3R, Dec 23, 2022.

1. Art3m1s-G3R

Art3m1s-G3R

Hi,

i have an unity-account which i created 2020 when i want to start to develop a game (total beginner!).
    I stoped using it after a while and never finished a game…

Now, my Son is 13 years old a he gets a book „Unity for Kids“ and we want to develop a very basic game together…

So my question is:
    1. Does he need an own account or can he use my account (even when we develop a game at the same time on 2 PCs)?

2. When i look at the asset-store, most assests are for one developer, so i believe everybody must buy his own copy… can i add him to „my project“ so he can use my assests too?

Thanks a lot!

PS: It is important to us that everything is legal, we dont ask for tricks to transfer any assets illegaly to other accounts!

Greetings,
    Art3m1s

2. AngryProgrammer

AngryProgrammer

In short, if you have e-mail, do you share it with your son? I think not. Therefore, if the son has his own private account on Unity, he must have a private license. Legally, he accepts the terms and conditions on his behalf. That's why it's called a personal license, not a per-seat license.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  3. Art3m1s-G3R

Art3m1s-G3R

Thanks for your answer.
    Yes, you are right - i dont share my emails with him :)

Ok, that means he needs his own account and i can not share my assets with him…
    Thats ok, in the beginning we try it with free assets.
    If we need pay-assets, i will buy them twice (for me and for him).

And first i have to check if he is allowed to create an unity-account (because he is 13 years old).

Edit:
    https://unity.com/legal/terms-of-service
    We live in EU, so the minimum age for an unity-account is 16…
    Ok, so the hole question doesnt matter because he is not allowed to have an own unity-account.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  4. AngryProgrammer

AngryProgrammer

For educational purposes, you don't need fancy assets. Familiarize him with the principles of the smallest working project (I don't know if that's what you call it in English). What I mean is that you use simple primitive shapes on which you work out the mechanics of the game. If at this stage the project is engaging, you develop it, if it is boring you abandon it and possibly use some solutions further.

It's about focusing on the core gameplay and not wasting time on developing graphics or music for something that was just interesting in the head.

Art3m1s-G3R likes this.