Search Unity

Beginner Tutorials as Text

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by bdunbar, Sep 9, 2015.

1. bdunbar

bdunbar

I'm grateful for the tutorials, don't get me wrong.

Are there any available with text? Maybe text with a few pictures? Personally, I find it exhausting to watch a video while trying to duplicate the actions the narrator is showing.

2. jhocking

jhocking

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    MikeTeavee likes this.
  3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

There's this one, a little dated now, but should still be (mostly) applicable. I'm sure there are others too. Oh yeah, like this one I wrote about 2D animation methods.

And I totally get what you're saying — I too much prefer to consume content in written as opposed to video form. It's faster and easier to follow. But it seems that yoots these days don't look at anything that's not on YouTube, so even I have resorted to video in some cases.

4. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

I'm starting to provide full transcripts with my video tutorials. I only have a few posted, but the idea is to keep them short but to provide links to further resources :) If you are interested:

YouTube for videos
    Blog for transcripts with screenshots

I'm also very open to suggestions or topics requests :D Hopefully its okay to self promote :S sorry if that's a bit rude :(

JoeStrout likes this.
  5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's certainly fine by me. It's great that you make these videos, and even cooler that you take the time to then write them up for those of us who prefer to read! I've already browsed a few and learned a thing or two. Please keep it up!

6. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

oh thank you so much for the kind words!! :D

7. tedthebug

tedthebug

I've always found this guy pretty good. His stuff is mainly 2d as he says it is a bit easier for beginners. He also does other scripting languages & game engines but as I've never used them I don't know how good they are.

http://www.raywenderlich.com/category/unity

JoeStrout likes this.