Search Unity

Beginner to multiplayer in Unity

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Baelgren, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Baelgren

Baelgren

I've been using Unity since 2014 but I still haven't gotten into multiplayer games. I decided to start now but I'm having trouble finding straight forward sources to learn to do it from.

Say I wanted an over the shoulder exploration game where I can host a game over the internet and invite a friend in or play solo, nothing fancier than this, no dedicated servers or anything. Where would I begin to get information to do this? I'm strugling to find up to date tutorials.

Thanks
    -David

2. Whippets

Whippets

Sounds like peer-to-peer with matchmaking is what you're after. Try looking for the community built Mirror Networking. Don't know it myself, but someone will be able to help you.

mischa2k likes this.
  3. tobiass

tobiass

It sounds like your game is more about the scenery and exploration than about (networked) interaction with lots of entities. And being coop, you don't have to worry too much about fairness either, so it's a good starter project for multiplayer.
    If exploration means you generate the levels, then keep in mind that you can sync the seeds of generated locations, if the generation is deterministic. Otherwise, syncing generated levels is a pain (due to the amount of data you may generate).

Most networking solutions will do for this. Out of our products, I would recommend Photon Bolt. There are samples on our page and an advanced sample package can be bought in the store, too. While some other solutions will be absolutely free of charge, those don't come with hosted matchmaking and relay.

Edit: Here's a commented list of networking solutions.