Search Unity

Question Beginner question on relative sizes of text elements on a canvas

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Mpx83, Apr 11, 2023.

1. Mpx83

Mpx83

Hi,
    I'm sure that this is really simple but I cannot find a solution and I am a complete beginner.

In the scene editor I created a very simple 2d scene with a canvas and inside it some text boxes.
    The textboxes are TextMeshPro objects.
    I would like to set one textbox to be 20% of the width of the canvas and 50% of the height of it, and to keep these proportions if I change the dimensions of the canvas.

To do this, in the Anchors presets I select the "stretch" option and put the anchors to the corners of the parent canvas. Then I set the X scale to 0.2 and the Y scale to 0.5. This method seems to work but the problem is that also the text is scaled both in the X and Y directions and it looks weird.

Is anyway to avoid the scaling of the text or is any other method to achieve what I need?

Thanks for your help

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, your approach is incorrect.

Put the X and Y scale of your object back to 1. The correct way to do this is to explicitly set the anchors. For example, set your X min to 0 and X max to 0.2, which makes it 20% the width of the parent (and positioned on the left). For 50% the parent height, you'd set Y min/max to 0 and 0.5 (or 0.2 and 0.7, or whatever else you like). Set your Left, Top, Right, and Bottom all to 0, and Bob's your uncle.

3. Mpx83

Mpx83

Thanks, It works!