Search Unity

Beginner query: Advice would be welcome.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by hiab-x, Dec 9, 2018.

1. hiab-x

hiab-x

Hi, I'm figuratively stumbling around in the dark at the moment. I would like to make a room in 3D, as photorealistic as possible. I would like to model the contents of the room on their real counterparts.
    I would like to make the room so convincing that if a person was wearing a VR headset, the differences between real and simulated room would be subtle.

I know this may sound like wanting a lot, but it seems like a good project to cut my teeth on in terms of learning an industry standard 3D program and utilising the various extra effects that help to offer realism.
    The end goal being through trial and error, making what I've described...oh, and being able to view it all in decent VR gear.

So, now I have to adjust my expectations to the present skill set. This is day zero, I have artistic abilities, some previous (but too long ago now) 3D modelling experience. Can anyone advise what I need to download, start studying, to build this room? Thanks

(PS: I've looked on the unity pages which cater to the architectural side of 3D, this does look like a promising area to explore, but I know that a room filled with many personal items will also need an approach towards the more artistic side of 3D creation)

2. tcmeric

tcmeric

Start learning to 3d model in blender, at it is free and powerful enough to do top shelf modelling. If you have lots of money, go ahead and buy a copy of 3d max. Its more commonly used in bigger studios. However, in the end, the results will be the same. There are lots of courses for blender on youtube or courses on udemy. Tons of videos comparing the two and any other popular 3d modelling software. Build, texture (3d coat or substance paint), import into unity, light, program, play. Plan for at least a few years of practice minimum. Its possible but it takes time.

3. hiab-x

hiab-x

Tcmeric, thanks for your advice and bare bones estimation of likely time scale. Yes, I expected that this would take time. Blender it is then.