Search Unity

Been stuck in same version for two years, do I need to use DOTS and URP for my next project?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mrCharli3, Sep 28, 2019.

1. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

after watching Unite it’s quite clear where Unity is going. But also that right now we are in some confusing midways point where it is super unclear what tech to use for your project.

Starting a new project that will take around 2 years, should I keep using my trusted gameobjects and built in pipeline, or should I switch over to DOTS and URP/HDRP?

Really surprised this issue was not better clarified, if I was new to Unity I would’ve just said screw it and gone to Unreal cus it’s really confusing. Realistically Assets won’t support this new tech for 1-2 years, and support will be extremely limited. But at the same time it feels strange to go ahead and start a new project with tech I know is about to be replaced.

Help...

2. No, we aren't.

It is perfectly clear to me what tech to use for my project. And what you should use for your project depends on you. And on the needs of your project. If you're unsure, I would say stick to the Monobehaviour and classic OOP stuff because later on, moving some parts of your project to ECS is usually easy (and will be more and more easy as we go ahead in time). See Mike Geig's Unite talk about this.

There is nothing to clarify, Unity cannot tell you what you need, you have to know what you need.

Then we're lucky you're not a newbie.

It won't be replaced for a long time. You will have more opportunities. More tools.

Since you're confused by the number of choices, I think the best course of action for you (my opinion, nothing more) is to stick to MB and classic OOP and learn how to do the other stuff over time. And you will give time to Unity and to the AS developers to develop stuff for you in the mean time.

mrCharli3 likes this.