Search Unity

Beautify! - Improve image quality producing incredibly crisp and vivid scenes

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, May 3, 2016.

1. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi and thank you for your interest in Beautify.
    Beautify has been designed and is maintained to provide a great experience. Starting with the user-friendly interface, superior performance and embedded shader optimization options which prevents injecting unused code in your final product, you will find optimal and production-tested compatibility with many platforms, including mobile, WebGL and VR (including Single Pass Stereo Rendering for all effects).
    Take a look at our recent showreel video on the asset page and read the reviews as well. Users love it!

2. Frpmta

Frpmta

Any images of the sobel effect?

3. sgower

sgower

not sure if anyone has reported this, but am getting the following errors when building in 5.50f3 when building. I updated to the latest version (I believe 4.2?) today.

Shader error in 'Beautify/BeautifyMobile': undeclared identifier 'rgbW' at Assets/Beautify/Resources/Shaders/BeautifyMobile.cginc(277) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with BEAUTIFY_FRAME BEAUTIFY_OUTLINE BEAUTIFY_NIGHT_VISION
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING SHADER_API_DESKTOP

Shader error in 'Beautify/Beautify': undeclared identifier 'rgbW' at Assets/Beautify/Resources/Shaders/Beautify.cginc(325) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA BEAUTIFY_OUTLINE BEAUTIFY_NIGHT_VISION
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING SHADER_API_DESKTOP

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks for reporting this. Apologize for the issue - introduced along the changes for the Sobel outline method and triggered when both outline + night or thermal vision are enabled.
    The fix has been submitted to the Asset Store and I'll send you it by pm as well.

5. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! The Sobel implementation for Outline is a balanced solution for 2D. Since there's no depth to compute the outline, a local chroma comparison is used instead:

Example captures of the Unity 2D platform sample project with Beautify applied (shown on the right side).

No Outline, just a subtle vignette applied:

Outline Sobel applied (outline color and threshold are customizable). Notice outline around clouds, ships and most contours:

Of course you can combine it with other effects, like Sepia:

Or go crazy with a grunge vignette and frame :)

rrahim and RonnyDance like this.
  6. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

yeah, i watched your videos :) looks amazing but prism too, thats the problem ;)
    your big point is that all your effects work in VR ;)

i have your World Political Map - 2D Edition and i like it :)
    if i use alloy, is there any problem with that?

7. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi, don't have any report regarding Alloy. If you find any issue, you can also reach us by email. Thanks!

Neo-Gamefactory likes this.
  8. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

9. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

Yeah, really good :)
    Screenshot 2017-02-07 21.49.56.png
    Original

Screenshot 2017-02-07 21.50.51.png
    Screenshot 2017-02-07 21.50.59.png
    HBAO Enabled

Screenshot 2017-02-07 21.51.20.png
    Amplify Color with HBAO

Screenshot 2017-02-07 21.54.46.png
    Beautify with Amplify Color and HBAO :)
    Amazing :)

DevMember and Kronnect like this.
  10. Kronnect

Kronnect

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Stay tuned for future updates and effects :)

Neo-Gamefactory likes this.
  11. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

Thanks for Beautify ;) i was choosing you because of the VR ;)

Kronnect likes this.
  12. JediNizar

JediNizar

Hi,
    a question. it's mentioned that it's VR compatible, but does it work also on GearVR (mobile android)

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hello, yes, it also works on GearVR. However note that this device (S6) is not very capable in terms of image effects so it can handle the core of Beautify well, but will stress with GearVR if you add more complex effects. We also have a new beta which improves even more the performance on mobile so I'd recommend signing up on our support forum on kronnect.com and get it to get a little more speed with the Best Performance option.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  14. SwiftIllusion

SwiftIllusion

@Thrawn75 I want to start by saying I absolutely love the results of Beauitfy,
    however regrettably using this renders my projects unable to be built.
    It shoots my CPU usage up to 100% quickly with multiple shader compilers.
    This happened before and after this last update, after making a completely new project, empty scene, and just importing beautify (not even attaching it to the camera in the scene).
    Here's a text file of the editor log after ending unity via task manager, using windows 10, Unity 5.5.0f3, building as a PC standalone.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vt64wl08uz6dzxx/Editor.log?dl=0

I hope you're able to find what may be causing this a.s.a.p. as I couldn't imagine having to move forward without it-the difference with beautify is truly awe inspiring.

15. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thank you! Did you check the Build Options in Beautify inspector and disabled all unused effects? That will speed the compilation a lot.

SwiftIllusion likes this.
  16. JediNizar

JediNizar

Thanks a lot thrawn,
    although I want the games works for all devices which support the gearVr, but I'm focusing on the S7 at the moment
    if you think the S7 will handle it i will buy it defiantly

17. Kronnect

Kronnect

S7 is about 30% more powerful than S6 so it should handle it well - however if you find any issue, you can also contact by email with your invoice number to get access to the beta board and and try the latest update in Best Performance mode.

18. SwiftIllusion

SwiftIllusion

@Thrawn75 No worries :).
    Thank you so much for your quick response, as it was happening without even adding beautify to the camera I didn't imagine at all it would be a part of the settings like that, but yeah that totally fixed it thank you :)!

Kronnect likes this.
  19. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone,

Beautify 4.3.2 update is now available on the Asset Store.
    This is an incremental update with technical improvements (no new effects). Also testing with Unity 5.6 has been started and so far seems there're no showstoppers here. Remember to remove previous version before importing this update.

Main changes:
    - Added bloom blur option for Best Performance mode so it looks a little better in this mode. Enabled by default.
    - Reduced shader keyword usage in compare mode pass. Faster compilation!
    - Texture fetch optimizations for the Best Performance mode. Should be faster on certain mobile devices.
    - Vignette Mask and Frame Mask come now disabled by default (to use them, re-enable in Build Options)

Enjoy!

20. ZoneOfTanks

ZoneOfTanks

CaptainMurphy likes this.
  21. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi there! Beautify currently does not currently provide that feature, although it has many Color grading options (and some genuine color effects like Daltonize and Purkinje shift). Thanks for your interest, stay tuned for future updates. Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  22. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

23. mercior

mercior

Been trying to animate beautify parameters with mixed success.

Bloom intensity works, for example, but animating vingette color or sepia intensity does not. Can you suggest why this might be?

24. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!

Just tried this code and works as expected:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.V)) {
    2.    Beautify.instance.vignetting = true;
    3.    Beautify.instance.vignettingColor = new Color (Random.value, Random.value, Random.value, 0.075f);
    4. }
    5. if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.S)) {
    6.    Beautify.instance.sepia = true;
    7.    Beautify.instance.sepiaIntensity = Random.value;
    8. }
    Note that the alpha value of vignettingColor specifies the vignette amplitude.

25. mercior

mercior

I was trying to animate it using an animator component playing animation clips which animate the public variables - which presumably should be the same as in code but it isn't working. I scanned the Beautify code and nothing stands out as you just seem to use the set accessor to update the material parameters so thats why I am stuck.

I could animate in code but I was hoping to allow the artist on our project to be able to create a bunch of different animations for the camera fx.

here you see the animation playing, failing to animate sepia or vingette

If I pause the animation and touch just one parameter in the inspector, then beautify updates to how it should look:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  26. Kronnect

Kronnect

I've added full support for Animator window in latest beta which I've sent to you by pm.

27. motion-art-game

motion-art-game

I am interested in buying.
    Does it work with Baked Lightmap scene?
    You can reply me back on mayur8607@gmail.com.
    Thank you in advance!

Kronnect likes this.
  28. chuckyluv869

chuckyluv869

Beautify is awesome. Excellent work. I saw that you added a Depth of Field Layer Mask and it doesn't quite do what my use case needs. Currently your layer mask determines what layers can trigger the autofocus. I need a layer mask that excludes specific layers from the focus effect entirely. I.e. enemies are always in focus when on an excluded layer. Weapons are excluded, etc... can you add an Autofocus Layer Exclusion mask in your next update. I currently use Scion and it does a great job with the auto focus and has that exclusion mask but I'm trying to simplify my camera setup and the only thing keeping Scion added is the autofocus.

I appreciate your consideration of this feature. Thanks.

Kronnect likes this.
  29. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks for your feedback and you can count on that feature in the next update. I'll contact you next week so you can try it.

rrahim and chuckyluv869 like this.
  30. indie_dev85

indie_dev85

hi,
    I am using beautify for my 2d game,it's adding brightness and sharpening the sprites wonderfully.:D
    But at the same time beautify is bumping the brightness for already bright spots in the background sprites,making them overbright.:confused:
    Is it possible to achieve something like brightness threshold(just like bloom threshold value) variable,so that brightness intensity is applied only to areas within the threshold?

31. Kronnect

Kronnect

Is it a Depth threshold/attenuation better fit or just a flat brightness threshold?

32. indie_dev85

indie_dev85

I think for 2d games most of the sprites are at same depth in different sort layer,hence flat brightness threshold will more than enough.
    But for 3d scenes depth also needs to be considered for threshold.

33. riccioverde11

riccioverde11

Hello , is it possible to outline things i want to be outlined , and not everything?

34. Kronnect

Kronnect

Like only applying outline to custom game objects? Currently that's not possible, sorry. It could restrict outline to a depth or color range, or if you use two cameras, you could enable outline only on one of the camera that culls everything except for the desired layers.

35. hopeful

hopeful

I believe there is a free plugin in the store that can give you an outline by layer, if that helps.

36. Multithreaded_Games

Multithreaded_Games

@mercior,

This is somewhat humorous that I just ran into this same issue, and after digging into the source code, realized that the reason that I couldn't animate the sepia intensity was because the material update only occurs when the property is altered and not the underlying public variable (which is what the Animator's Animation animates.)

@Thrawn75 ,

If this is fixed in a current beta update, would it be possible to receive this as well? Thanks!

37. Kronnect

Kronnect

Sure. The latest beta is available on our support forum on kronnect.com. Just sign up over there and send me your invoice number.

Cheers!

38. Meltdown

Meltdown

@Thrawn75 I upgraded to the latest 4.3.2, and I unchecked all the build options in my scene, except for the ones I need. I click save. But when I go to another scene, then come back, all the build options are checked again!

I tried building and yep, its taking ages now. How do I fix this?

39. Meltdown

Meltdown

This has nothing to do with Beautify.

You can bump up the setting to a max of 768mb.
    But what you should be doing is looking at the editor build log, it will tell you which assets in the build are taking up the most size in your build and adjust accordingly. It doesn't matter if you have 4G or 16GB, the browser tab will only have so much resources allocated to it. Hence you need to squash your assets down as much as possible.

With optimisation I squashed SuperTrucks Offroad down from 310Mb build size down to 90mb.

40. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi @Meltdown !

When you upgrade to a newer version, all shaders of Beautify get reset to the default build options, so you need to clear again those effects that you don't need. Clicking on 'Save' is indeed modifying the shader source files deactivating the unused shader keywords thus producing less shader variants, reducing build time and so on.

Make sure Beautify is no duplicated in your project and when you disable the effects and click 'Save' in the build options section, ensure everything is saved to file clicking on the button 'Refresh'. If settings are getting back again, that means that for some reason the shader files are not being modified. Look for any console warning or error or eventually send me a screenshot of your disabled settings in the build options section as well as a copy of your Beautify folder by email so I can check.

Cheers

41. Kronnect

Kronnect

One more thing @Meltdown: before importing the latest update of Beautify into your project make sure you remove existing Beautify's folder. That ensures no residual shader files or obsolete shader cached or file references are kept and everything is clean.

42. Meltdown

Meltdown

Thank you, this fixed the problem for me :)

Kronnect likes this.
  43. Meltdown

Meltdown

I'm using the latest version now, 4.3.2, my compare mode is upside down though? Does this sound normal? This in the editor.

44. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!

Happy to announce Beautify 4.4 has been submitted to the Asset Store! In celebration for this new update, which includes a new great feature (Sun flares) and cool improvements and options to existing effects, every new purchase until end of month will get a free asset of our portfolio of up to $20 price (check our publisher page or kronnect.com for the full list).

Cheers!

45. chuckyluv869

chuckyluv869

BeautifyDoF_example_smaller.PNG Beautify is awesome! The Depth of Field with autofocus was a great addition but I needed to have a layer exclusion for game characters in my game and I contacted the developer and within like a week it was added in as a feature. Here's a screenshot from a Unity Sample Project with Beautify's Depth of Field effect and exclusion layer in action. The wooden barrels in the distance are on the exclusion layer while the camera is focused on the wooden baskets up close.

46. Hormic

Hormic

Hello Thrawn75, How does it work? will i get a voucher, when i buy it now on the asset store, or is it only available via your webpage?

47. Kronnect

Kronnect

Buy it on the Asset Store and send me your invoice number by pm with your desired gifted asset and you will receive a free voucher - if there were no vouchers left for that asset at that moment (not the case right now) you will be able to choose another one or get a direct download link from our website (in that case also with access to the private boards on our forum where you can get updates for the gifted asset in the future).
    Thanks.

Hormic likes this.
  48. Kusras

Kusras

Hi, just stupid question - What does "Reduce flickering" option, could not find it in documentation. Which flickering it reduces? I tried turn it on and off on different situations and saw no difference... So try to find out for which cases it is usefull. Thanks.

49. Kronnect

Kronnect

Reduce Flickering option samples more pixels and averages them based on luminance to prevent flash lights due to single pixels being affected by bloom.
    There situations where this option is needed like when having distant bright pixels or depending on the scene also in VR.
    If you don't see any flickering occuring just leave this option unchecked as it's slower.

Kusras likes this.
  50. Kusras

Kusras

Good I am a blind I thought it is a separated feature,,, sorry, it makes sense... I am solving flickering of grass while moving camera (or any cutoff material) So as I seen this I expected some kind of magic, which will save me :D Also googled any solution to moire effect of repeating texture (like roofs), but found nothing. So probably it has no solution...
    Anyway thanks for clearance.