Search Unity

Beautify! - Improve image quality producing incredibly crisp and vivid scenes

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, May 3, 2016.

1. punk

punk

Thanks bro ;)

2. PeterHann

PeterHann

Very nice snow and footsteps there!

3. punk

punk

Thanks ;)

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

V3 with bloom and eye adaptation effects has been submitted to the Asset Store but it's already available for registered customers. Please sign up on kronnect.com to download latest update today! Thanks.

5. Exeneva

Exeneva

Does Beautify Plus work with WebGL?

I've primarily been using PRISM alongside Beautify and in the PRISM guide they specify which PRISM effects will and will not work with WebGL.

6. Kronnect

Kronnect

@Exeneva yes, all effects are compatible with WebGL.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  7. Kronnect

Kronnect

Demo updated with new modes. Press T key to toggle Beautify on/off or left mouse click to toggle between different combinations.

8. Kronnect

Kronnect

Side by side shot comparison with the effects of Beautify (sharpen, color enhance, bloom, lens dirt) totally configurable. In this case it makes the scene warmer and full of light:

Assets used in the shot:

- Beautify
    - HBAO (Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion)
    - HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol. 1 with its GX Extension for Gaia
    - Gaia for Terrain
    - Tenkoku for Sky

9. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

For the bloom, right now you said that it was based on optical threshold, what about an option for using HDR range threshold for the bloom so that I can only take values above normal color ranges?

10. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! Beautify Plus' bloom does not use a brightness prepass but on the final composition it can use a threshold parameter to filter by a minimum HDR range, so yes, you can use the threshold parameter to only apply bloom where luminance exceeds certain values (in the HDR range).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Haagndaaz likes this.
  11. Kronnect

Kronnect

I'd like to bring your attention to the new Wetlands Pack from @Backwoods . Very nice stamps for quick terrain creation along with Gaia:

Here're a couple of shots of the wetlands stamp #1 plus Beautify:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  12. Exeneva

Exeneva

I noticed Beautify Plus combines many effects into a single pass, like Scion and PRISM.

Scion is no longer supported or being updated. How would you compare Beautify Plus to PRISM?

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi @Exeneva

We really don't have a benchmark or comparison with other assets like those. The purpose of Beautify Plus is to bring all Beautify users the option to blend some other nice effects in the same render pass than Beautify (a really unique effect) reducing overhead.

You'll find three characteristics in Beautify Plus:

- Easy of use: all effects work nicely together, on forward/deferred, gamma/linear and WebGL. No need to define a complex matrix of what works and not under what circumstances. And the inspector is limited to really useful sliders and settings.

- Performance: in addition to reuse the same render pass, all effects are designed for speed. There's a group of effects that are now included in Beautify Plus which contributes to create a nice atmosphere and are quite common, like vignetting, frame, bloom or lens dirt. We are not including some other effects like ambient occlusion or depth of field for which we recommend looking at other assets, like HBAO. We have tested Beautify Plus with HBAO and they both work very nice together. Beautify Plus includes a mobile preset which performs even better (this does not mean that the extra effects will just work well on any mobile device).

- Variety of cool effects: we want to create a tool that incorporates eye-candy effects that you will use and make your scenes genuine as well. In addition to our sharpen/beautifier algorithm and the effects above, there's a third group of features that you may find interesting like the skybox replacement with day/night cycle and clouds, the night/thermal vision which also works at 0 light and in forward rendering pass, or the outline effect.

We'll bring more effects and updates to Beautify Plus in the future as we have just started this new asset.

Cheers!

14. Arganth

Arganth

the plus version got pulled from the asset store?
    its now called deprecated (when i want to download it in the unity editor)
    and cannot be found on the asset store anymore

whats going on?

15. Kronnect

Kronnect

hi Arganth, Beautify Plus has now being unified with Beautify - I'll send you via pm the new package. Sorry for the inconveniences.

montyfi, BackwoodsGaming and Arganth like this.
  16. Arganth

Arganth

No problem ;) was just wondering :)

17. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone,

Since forums are back now, I'm just keeping up to date with latest updates here:

Latest version of Beautify is 2.1 which includes all new effects bloom, dirty lens, vignetting, outline, frame, sepia, thermal & night vision, in addition to its unique image filter which boost details everywhere.

The good thing is all of these effects are blended in the same pass providing superior performance.

Version 2.1 includes a flicker reduction filter for the bloom effect, very useful if you pump up the HDR threshold slider.

Here're a few shots using latest Beautify + Village Interiors Kit from 3DForge. Click to enlarge:

There're lot of nice improvements which can be observed on full sized shots:

- All textures show crisp details. The filter was exaggerated in this case to make the effect more obvious. This makes reading books or glyphs easier as well.
    - Colors are improved in some areas which were less saturated.
    - Glow/bloom around candles and bright light sources.
    - Dirty lens: this effect was enabled but it's not very noticeable here because these are very dark images but you can see some spot of dust and distortion around the lights of candles in the first image.
    - Vignetting. There's a subtle obscurance around image borders.

Get Beautify now and share your improved screenshots!

18. Kronnect

Kronnect

19. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Hello,
    The latest Unity 5.4 offer single pass rendering for VR, will this be updated to support it? Right now if a screen effect inst written for it, it creates a double camera rendering. It is a known issue, part of the release notes. I hope it can be updated! I LOVE beautfiy!
    Thanks! :)

Kronnect likes this.
  20. Kronnect

Kronnect

@HeadTrip Sure, we're working on the update. Please contact me by email (contact at kronnect.me) with your order number and I'll send you the beta package.

21. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I will! thanks :)

22. Kronnect

Kronnect

23. Kronnect

Kronnect

turboscalpeur and jimmikaelkael like this.
  24. Cascho01

Cascho01

In most of the split-screenshots here I can see that besides sharpness there´s also been added highlights, bloom, lensdirt and lensflares making the images look better.
    But what does Beautify exactly do or include besides sharpening?

25. Kronnect

Kronnect

All of that. The core of Beautify is its unique sharpen filter plus color enhancement. Plus it includes optional extra effects, which are also applied in these shots (bloom and dirty lens).

26. Cascho01

Cascho01

Ok cool, but extra effects can be disabled so that I only use sharpen filter and keep using my own bloom and dirt effects?

27. Kronnect

Kronnect

Of course, they're optional and won't consume GPU cycles if you don't use them.

28. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Just wow! I bought Beautify right now and I am really impressed. The Blur, the sharpen effect are really incredible.
    Awesome work Thrawn!

I have one suggestion:
    I really like the Night and Thermal Vision. Could it be possible to disable the black lines in both visions? I am using Beautify in a Fantasy Game and those black "camera" lines give you a Scien-Fi feeling, if you know what I mean. So it would be really awesome if it could be possible to disable the "black lines camera effect".

Thanks again.
    Cheers
    Ronny

Kronnect and hopeful like this.
  29. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi @RonnyDance,
    Thanks for your comments :)
    To disable the black lines, just edit Beauty.cginc and/or BeautifyMobile.cginc and comment out the two lines that have the comment "scan lines" at the end.
    Cheers!

RonnyDance and hopeful like this.
  30. Meltdown

Meltdown

This has got nothing to do with Beautify. It is a WebGL and browser limitation. Increase the WebGL Memory Size to 768 in the Player Settings. If that still doesn't work, you need to reduce the size of your game's memory footprint. This is discussed in many other places on this forum.

31. Meltdown

Meltdown

I just purchased Beautify, it looks like a great asset. However I'm running the Demo1 scene, and I turned on the compare mode, and the scene view just changes to a white square... I'm using Unity 5.4.0f2

I tried the Demo2 scene, and it doesn't have this issue.

But my game scene also has this issue, so makes the compare feature useless for me :(

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  32. Meltdown

Meltdown

In 10 minutes I got my racing game looking sweet in Beautify :)

Original image, then beautified image...

33. virtueone

virtueone

I got Beautify mostly for its Sharpening effect, but I'm enjoying the other features too!

Here's a comparison:

I have a suggestion... it would nice if the Vignette shape matched the proportions of the screen, like Unity's Vignette effect, it's more oval shaped when the screen is wide:

Also, I like how it works with other screen effects. For example, in those images, I'm using a Tilt Shift effect combined with Beautify for a nice depth-of-field effect.

Thanks ;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  34. asimov99

asimov99

avant_apres.jpg

Before / After :)

35. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!

A new update for Beautify is available on our support forum with some fixes and minor improvements:

- Added vignetting circular shape option (per @virtueone suggestion)
    - Fixed compare mode with DX11 w/Antialias enabled (thanks @Meltdown)
    - Improved bloom effect in gamma color space and mobile
    - Throttled sharpen presets in linear color space

If you don't want to wait for the public release on the Asset Store, sign up and send me a msg with your username and order number.

Cheers!

virtueone likes this.
  36. Kronnect

Kronnect

V2.3 update is ready for download on the Asset Store!

37. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

I really enjoy this tool, it has amazing effects. However, mobile performance ( specially android ) is really not good, maybe you guys work on much lighter approach for mobiles.

38. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Little question:
    The lens flare in the first picture is a Beautify feature? I only saw the lens dirt option I think.

39. Kronnect

Kronnect

@RonnyDance the lens flare in the first picture is Unity's stock lens flare from Standard Assets. The second picture shows the dirty lens effect from Beautify.

40. RogueCode

RogueCode

Hi @Thrawn75, I'm getting the following error on Xbox One: "Invalid pass number (1) for graphics.blit(Material "Beautiy(clone)" with 1 passes)".
    Any ideas?

41. Kronnect

Kronnect

@RogueCode Could you select /Beautify/Resources/Shaders/Beautify.shader in the project panel (or BeautyMobile.shader if you have Best Performance option selected) and look for shader compilation errors in the Inspector? If you do, send me a screenshot or text dump of those. Thanks.

42. Frpmta

Frpmta

How do I prevent objects a few meters away from not losing their luminance when I approach them?

43. Kronnect

Kronnect

@Frpmta Hi! You can find some depth controls in the Beautify inspector that allow you to exclude certain depth ranges from some effects. If that does not help, can you send me a short video and a screenshot of your settings?

44. tomraegan

tomraegan

Hi there. This asset is fantastic. So pleased I bought it.

I'd like to experiment with sepia. Can sepia be made modifiable with a slider? Or can its default effect be modified/diluted in code? I had a look but couldn't find specific settings in the beautify script.

What I'm after is have sepia enabled, but to diminish its impact.

Edit: Oh, one more thing. I'm trying to make the Tint beneath Daltonize have an impact, but cannot seem to. It doesn't seem to matter what color I set it to, it doesn't seem to modify anything. Can you think of what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks.

RonnyDance likes this.
  45. Kronnect

Kronnect

@tomraegan thanks! Yes, we can add a slider to sepia effect. Please contact us with your order details to get a beta.

Tint & Daltonize can't be combined as Daltonize purpose is to spread the spectrum color and boost primary colors (red, green, blue) and tint will distort that. You can use Tint with Vibrance though.

RonnyDance likes this.
  46. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Some more sliders like for sepia and night thermal vision would be really awesome. For example I would love to use the Night and Thermal vision but just as thermal vision. So disabling the "green nighteffect" or change the color from green to black and enable themal vision only, all by sliders if possible. And if you could also configure the strength of the thermal color by a slider this would be pure awesomeness.
    Well I am already thinking in only showing thermal colors for moving objects like characters and creatures, but this would be another story ;)

But just as an idea to give everyone more options like you did with blur, specially for the feautures which are just enable or disable.

Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  47. Kronnect

Kronnect

@RonnyDance you can change the night vision color actually using the color picker. The alpha component controls the intensity of the effect as well.

RonnyDance likes this.
  48. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Oh I think I was blind than ;) Gonna test it today in the evening.

49. R1PFake

R1PFake

Does this camera effect work for the htc vive camera? (Using the Valve camera rig prefab).

(Off Topic, can i ask which environment asset packs you used for the 'outside' (grass/trees/rocks etc) screenshots?)

50. Kronnect

Kronnect

@R1PFake it works on VR without Single Pass Stereo Rendering. Latest version supposedly also works using Single Pass Stereo Rendering option enabled but have not been able to confirm on all cases.

For the environment of those screenshots I think you refer to the Nature Starter Packs.