Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Beautify! - Improve image quality producing incredibly crisp and vivid scenes

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, May 3, 2016.

1. RPowers

RPowers

Hi, I'm having an issue getting Beautify 2 to work with multiple cameras. I'm in VR, URP, single pass instanced, Unity 2020.3.6f1. I have my camera for VR HMD and another camera with Target Display = Display 1, and Target Eye = None to show on monitor only. My VR camera displays Beautify effects just fine, however, my second camera to show just on monitor (Display 1) doesn't show the Beautify effects correctly and just shows a white film over everything. Any idea why this second camera won't show the effects in the same way? I've tried making 2 separate post processing volumes and assigned each camera to each volume by using different layers, no luck. I get the same white film effect on non-VR camera only. Very strange. I also tried removing Beautify completely, create my own post-processing volumes, with same 2 camera setup and what I'm after works just fine. My VR camera shows the post-processing correctly and so does my monitor camera, so I'd expect Beautify to behave the same way.

Attached Files:

2. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!
    Are you using the latest version? Make sure you don't have a new upgrade available in the Package Manager.

3. starfoxy

starfoxy

Hi all, I am really loving Beautify 2! However, I have some textmesh pro 3d objects and they look blurry, not crisp. Any ideas why?

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    Canvas in screen space overlay mode renders after image effects. Switch it to screen space camera mode instead and it will be affected by Beautify.
    Regards

5. starfoxy

starfoxy

Thank you but I am not using the canvas. I am using a textmesh pro 3D object. Any ideas how I can keep it crisp?

6. AlexHell

AlexHell

Hello! Sorry if my text looks provocative, but I only need to understand. What is the main use case of this shader? I see the A vs B differences on screenshots and videos, but not recognize what specificly is better with shader \ vs without, subjectively. By which property any end-users (gamers) whould detect if it's make better with \ vs without shader ? Does it based on any psychological theory? Or it's simple opinion "if it's sharper then it's better"?
    If the main use case is for post-anti-aliasing (FXAA) or post any bloor - then may be better to not use bloor and to use SMAA \ SSAA instead?

p.s. example screenshots from this thread
    added glowing (candles, window) - is it better? it's unnatural imho
    http://i.imgur.com/fWJnJqY.png

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  7. Kronnect

Kronnect

An image that looks higher resolution is usually a better image. Beautify core image enhancement filter makes your image crisper at the same screen resolution and also more vibrant which usually looks better (check the asset reviews). That's why screens grow and users want higher resolutions, because more fidelity or details contribute to make the experience more immersive (although this is all subjetive and dependant on your game visual style). The filters of Beautify make texture features pop where most of the time they would be blurred by bilinear filtering or lack of resolution.

Some sample pictures may be exaggerated to show the effect but Beautify let you modulate each effect as you wish with less or more intensity.

Please note that Beautify includes +20 effects which are combined in a final pass, including also color grading and fx (like daltonize and hard light), lens effects and others. All effects come with many options so you can customize them in many ways to match your game visual style and/or provide options to the end users so they can customize the look of your game as well.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  8. chaobaji

chaobaji

Hello,I'm using Beautify 2 in my project, It's runs well in Mac Build.But when I build a iOS ipa, It's makes the memory usage from 700M to 1.8G,it reaches the iPhone limit and crashed, I use 2~5 effect controlled by scripts,How can I optimize this. Thanks.

Attached Files:

9. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    Did you remove the demo scenes included with Beautify?
    Regards

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  10. chaobaji

chaobaji

Not the demo scene,It's my own Scene, I use unity 2019.4.17 with URP. I found if I delete some #pragma multi_compile_local, It's decrease the memory usage, It may be too many shader variants include,but I not sure which #pragma should I delete.

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Check pages 12-13 in this updated document: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pflus913xz81al6/QuickStartGuide.pdf?dl=0
    You will find hints to reduce shader variants and optimize the build size.

12. chaobaji

chaobaji

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone,

We have recently released a pack of LUTs with a 50% discount for Beautify users. This package contains +200 LUTs which are easily tested with the LUT browser included in latest versions of Beautify :)

unityunity