Search Unity

Beautify! - Improve image quality producing incredibly crisp and vivid scenes

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, May 3, 2016.

1. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!

Glad to announce our screen space raytraced reflections asset is now live on the Asset Store: Shiny SSRR.
    This asset is designed for URP only.

2. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Are there any effects in Beautify that don't require the camera to use a depth texture? I'm asking because I'm noticing that when the camera uses a depth texture the triangles, vertices and set pass calls basically double and I'm trying to optimize the rendering in my game.

3. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes, many of them indeed! The core effects, bloom, anamorphic flares, vignetting, and others don't need depth. You can disable activating the depth texture generation in Shader Options section. Options that require depth buffer will be disabled in the inspector automatically.

blueivy likes this.
  4. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Great! I'm using the core, bloom and vignetting...so this helps me. However, I don't see the option for the depth texture, I see a check box for depth sharpen.

Which one(s) would need to be unchecked?

Attached Files:

5. Kronnect

Kronnect

You seem to be using an old version of Beautify. Latest version should show this option:

If you think you're up to date, try clearing the Asset Store download cache folder and downloading again the asset.

6. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I've tried removing the Asset Store Cache and re-downloading it from the Asset Store...for some reason I still dont see it.

Is this option only available in "Beautify 2", I'm currently using 1.

7. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes, it's a new feature included in Beautify 2.
    Beautify 2 is the active package which includes support for builtin and URP. The old package is kept for running projects and only receives fixes.

8. clagrens

clagrens

Beautify 2 Transparent dof is not working in urp.
    upload_2021-2-24_23-19-57.png

upload_2021-2-24_23-20-40.png

upload_2021-2-24_23-21-9.png

9. clagrens

clagrens

My dof setting
    upload_2021-2-24_23-34-6.png

10. Kronnect

Kronnect

Could you please specify the URP version and which platform are you using? Win/Mac/Android/iOS/WebGL?

11. clagrens

clagrens

unity2019.4.18
    EditorView
    urp version 7.5.3

12. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks, check your inbox.

13. clagrens

clagrens

I think it is a very very strange bug in URP.
    I import beautify 2 in a new project and the transparent dof is work.
    So maybe I need time to figure out what happens there.
    Thank you!

14. clagrens

clagrens

:(I know what happened.
    upload_2021-2-26_23-58-21.png

upload_2021-2-26_23-58-49.png

If I don`t Auto Strip the unused Features, Transparent DOF will not work.

15. Kronnect

Kronnect

The issue is fixed in the update I sent you by pm before. Check the conversation please and confirm if you have updated.

clagrens likes this.
  16. Zilk

Zilk

I love the asset. Works great for my game. If possible I would like to request a width and AA setting for the outline. As of now it causes a lot of Aliasing issues.

Kronnect likes this.
  17. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

Hi @Kronnect. Thanks for the great plugin, Im really enjoying using it!!
    I just ran into an issue, I've upgraded to the latest Beautify (version 1) and I'm having a problem when changing the depth of field distance at run time. I'm doing this in a pause menu where time scale is 0 during this time. What can I do to update the depth of field while the time scale is at 0.
    Thanks for any ideas!

18. Kronnect

Kronnect

Workaround update sent by pm.

19. newguy123

newguy123

Hi Guys. Pre-sales question @Kronnect

Can Beautify for HDRP (or any of your other assets), help in clearing up anti-alaising issues I'm having with geometry?

I'm exporting frame sequence with timeline and Unity Recorder for an HDRP Raytraced scene, however none of the 3 built in anti-aliasing options in Unity gives me crisp clean lines. This is with standard TAA:

The ridges on the roof looks terrible and the siding details on the walls is getting lost due to bad AA.

In this one the geometry against the sky is making ugly edges, and the verticals in the shadow wall siding is totally lost.

Of course, if I run all this through the pathtracer then everything looks lovely and crisp, but takes 50 times longer per frame. Therefore would be great to get some other solution other than pathtracing.

PutridEx likes this.
  20. Kronnect

Kronnect

Sorry, the attachments seem broken. You could try it, Beautify has some options to deal with fine geometry like depth threshold. Contact me back if you decide to give it a try.

21. newguy123

newguy123

Sorry try these, are these attachments working?

upload_2021-3-12_21-53-28.png

upload_2021-3-12_21-53-44.png

I'll send you a PM

22. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone,

Latest beta includes new outline options which allows you to control width, spread, intensity and now also the order, so it can be affected by bloom or not. Get it from our support forum.

EDIT: released!

Regards

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  23. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,

We have a publisher sale running on the Asset Store.
    Get any of our asset at 50% plus download Color Studio for free til end of March.
    Check it out! ;)

24. SKNKanimation

SKNKanimation

Looks like Beautify (1) and the latest version of the Oculus SDK aren't working with one another if one enables "Adaptive Resolution" on the Oculus script. Editor window just freezes or splits into bands, but it gives a pretty trippy effect with the headset on. Everything is fine if I disable adaptive resolution or Beautify, and Beautify wins that battle every time but it's be pretty cool to have both.

If this is fixed up in Beautify 2 I'll grab the latest version before I need it, but if you have any suggestions on how to make it work with the older version I'm all ears. The way the Oculus SDK does it is to draw to a texture so I'm thinking it might be impossible to make them friends, but any wizardry you have available on this one, Kronnect team? <3

25. Kronnect

Kronnect

Beautify 2 has received some improvements regarding Oculus Quest support, however I can't confirm if this specific issue remains. Contact us for getting access to a limited beta so you can try.

26. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi guys,

We're about to release a cool update for Beautify 2 (both built-in and URP versions) which comes with chromatic aberration. If you're interested in giving it a try please head to the support forum and request access.

Thanks!

27. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Is there a changelog to see what's new?

28. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes, in the README file.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  29. sacb0y

sacb0y

I love this! Just bought it.

But feature quest, at the moment smoothness only seems to determine the intensity of the reflection. But it does not have the option to affect the blurriness. i think that would help in some scenarios.

upload_2021-5-23_18-53-45.png

Like here this brick texture has a stronger reflection due to the HDR value of the lamp material.

But if I could have it increase fuzzyness with smoothness (preferably with a max value option), it would look nicer for what should be brick.

upload_2021-5-23_18-55-35.png

And it might help in a lot of material instances.

hopeful and Kronnect like this.
  30. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!
    There's the "Fuzyness" parameter in the Reflections script that you attach to the surface (in forward rendering path) that can be used to increase the blur of the reflection. This works with the global blur setting. Did you try increasing this option (fuzyness)?

31. sacb0y

sacb0y

Yes but what i mean is i would like to be able to attach it to the materials properties.

upload_2021-5-24_4-36-58.png

At the moment it only affect intensity not fuzziness.

The object in this case is one single object for performance reasons, so applying it separately isn't desired or possible.

32. skinwalker

skinwalker

Hello,

I'm using Beautify HDRP and I wonder if it will be possible to add an option for LUT, because hdrp doesnt support it as far as I know.

33. Kronnect

Kronnect

I'll look into that.

skinwalker likes this.
  34. sacb0y

sacb0y

How can I update the position of the sun for the sun flare post effect?

I tried attaching the script but that doesn't seem to work. For my game I have multiple sun lights i toggle between for various times of day. but the position of the sun in the shader won't update even if each light has the script attached. .

35. Kronnect

Kronnect

Under your global volume gameobject, you should find a BeautifySettings component. There should be a single component of this type in the scene and it's automatically attached to the volume:

You can assign the Sun gameobject there or use:

Code (CSharp):
    1. BeautifySettings.instance.sun = <my Sun gameobject>.transform;
    Only one Sun flare is allowed at the same time.

36. sacb0y

sacb0y

Hm, i see, i guess some scripting is in order.

Also is there a way to turn off effects?
    Bloom doesn't have an "enabled" setting, and intensity isn't really a good solution cause i may adjust that per VCAM.

If i wanted a setting so a user could turn off bloom, how would i do that for URP?

37. Kronnect

Kronnect

The usual way is to set it to 0. Note that this property can be lerped when blending volumes. Internally the asset ignores bloom passes when intensity is 0.

38. Zilk

Zilk

This is awesome! Thanks!

One thing I noticed with the outlines that the downsampling feature helps stabilize the outlines to avoid aliasing, however that (of course) makes the rest of the image downsampled. A down sample feature just for the outline pass would be amazing as a cheap AA trick for outlines. Doable?

Jumping in to try the beta now :)

Kronnect likes this.
  39. sacb0y

sacb0y

I see, i feel like a more global toggle would be ideal.

Because i may increase the bloom intensity for a particular cinemachine camera, a toggle in a main post process profile would be ideal if I want people to be able to turn off bloom.

Unity DoF has a similar issue where it's hard to just turn off DoF for lower end devices because I usually need to adjust dof per cinemachine camera, and there's no global toggle each camera turns it "on". So i have to iterate through every single volume asset and turn it off there.

If there was a global toggle i could just make sure no consecutive volume profile has "Enable" as a setting, and only mess with other settings. So only a root profile has the toggle.

40. Kronnect

Kronnect

LUT support has been added to latest beta. It will be released with other updates next Monday :)

skinwalker likes this.
  41. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hey, did you try to customize the outline border with extra width?

NOTE: these options are currently available in the built-in pipeline version.

42. Zilk

Zilk

Wow this looks great. I haven't tried it yet since I'm using the Universal render pipeline. Will be waiting for that release but I think this could be perfect!

43. skinwalker

skinwalker

Thanks for the quick update, it's really a life changer feature for HDRP. I was using FM Color asset to achieve this and for some reason had to flip my exiting LUT's vertically for them to work, not sure if that will be required with your asset, but I will test. The reason why I didn't want FM Color is because the FPS drop was huge when using LUT and also too many assets to maintain will cause more problems during unity version updates.

Another suggestion is to add LUT strength 0 - 1 (if you haven't), because usually you don't want to have the LUT at 100% strength, I mostly use 0.2 or 0.3.

44. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes, the update includes a LUT intensity slider.

hopeful and skinwalker like this.
  45. skinwalker

skinwalker

I tried the LUT feature and works great, what's the performance difference in your test with and without the LUT?

46. Kronnect

Kronnect

I have not general perf stats for this change but it should be pretty fast and probably unnoticeable in HDRP as it just involves sampling twice the same LUT texture (which is also small). LUT transforms are usually very fast.

skinwalker likes this.
  47. skinwalker

skinwalker

Hi,

I want to use the eye blinking effect in HDRP, but if I change the values at runtime they are saved in beautify since it's a part of the post processing, is there a way to only make runtime changes that won't save when the game is stopped and simulate a blinking effect?

48. Kronnect

Kronnect

In Beautify.cs file, look for the DoVignette(..) method. In that method, the value for vignettingBlink profile property is read and passed to the material shader. You could expose a public static field in that class that you could set easily at runtime so it's used instead of the blink profile property.

skinwalker likes this.
  49. Kronnect

Kronnect

This option has been added to latest beta. In addition the the blink static field, you can use
    Code (CSharp):
    1. StartCoroutine(Beautify.Blink(duration));
    to perform the full blink animated effect.

skinwalker likes this.
  50. skinwalker

skinwalker

Thanks, will try it out!

Kronnect likes this.