Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Beautify! - Improve image quality producing incredibly crisp and vivid scenes

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, May 3, 2016.

1. NatureSimsVR

NatureSimsVR

Great--thanks for the quick fix!

2. Kronnect

Kronnect

The update is now available (7.0.2) which includes 3 fixes:

- [Fix] Fixed issue with changing bloom culling mask not refreshing immediately
    - [Fix] Fixed issee when enabling Sun depth-based occlusion option
    - [Fix] Fixed Sun flares issue with Single Pass Stereo (Unity 2018+)

Unity 2019.1 warning: if you're upgrading to latest Unity version and are using the PPS v2 as well, note that PPS v2.16 comes with an option that literally disables any other image effect on the same camera:

Just make sure you have "Directly to Camera Target" unchecked.

hopeful likes this.
  3. Kamil-Sobierajski

Kamil-Sobierajski

Are Beautify work witch Lightweight RP ?

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    Yes! Customers of Beautify can download a PPSv2 compatible version from our support forum on kronnect.com which works for LWRP.
    Regards

5. Kamil-Sobierajski

Kamil-Sobierajski

That is great!
    Can you tell me some kind of instruction about how to set this?
    I was searching on the beautyfy forum and try figured this by myself.
    But it is still unclear for me.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  6. Kronnect

Kronnect

After purchasing, go to our support forum and sign up there. Then send me a pm with your invoice number and you’ll get access to the beta board where you can download the latest development updates plus the PPSv2 version of Beautify.

7. Fabraz

Fabraz

Hi there, love the versatility of beautify, but have run into a few small snags in my current project. Some tips on how best to address these would be greatly appreciated! The issues I'm trying to figure out are:

- Outline renders above DoF, ruining the effect (img 1). This can be somewhat bypassed by adding a second beautify (img 2) component to apply just the DoF, but this seems excessive as a solution.

- Transparency breaks the above two effects, causing DoF to be ignored and render clearly when it should be blurred. Similarly, the outline will bypass all transparencies, which would ideally also be obscured via the DoF. This can be seen with the transparent cubes in both images, as well as a water effect that can be seen cutting across the screen halfway.

Any help on these would be fantastic, thanks!

With single beautify comp
    Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.47.26 PM.png
    with a second beautify comp just for DoF
    Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.53.13 PM.png

Here's the settings currently being applied for the single component approach

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.49.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.49.55 PM.png

8. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi @Fabraz,
    The outline effect renders in the same pass DoF is combined. Since the blur occurs in a previous pass, it's not possible to blur the outline. To achieve that the outline must be rendered before the blur occurs, either using a second Beautify instance (as you have shown) or a dedicated outline tool like Highlight Plus.
    Regarding the DoF with transparency issue could you please send me a pm with a simple repro? Thanks.

9. Fabraz

Fabraz

Gotcha, in that case I'll go with the original approach of using a second beautify instance for the time being. I've just finished setting up a simple example project, and will send it over!

Kronnect likes this.
  10. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

is it possible to make everything black and white except one color? I want to have all colors converted to black and white except one color (like red).

I was thinking that can be done with a LUT, but I'm not sure how to make a LUT....and how to make it compatible with Beautify.

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hello,
    You can duplicate the neutral LUT texture which can be found in Beautify textures folder and edit it with Gimp or Photoshop. Desaturate it except the Color you want, save it back and assign it to Beautify.
    Regards

12. FreeReignPublishing

FreeReignPublishing

Hi, is there a way to have an object with bloom
    appear behind opaque objects?

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes, assign your object to a specific layer and set Beautify's Bloom Layer mask accordingly:

Adjust the Z Bias slider until you get the expected results.

14. FreeReignPublishing

FreeReignPublishing

is this for non 2d only because it wont do anything when I adjust the slider

15. Kronnect

Kronnect

Correct. The layer-based bloom effect uses depth to perform the selective bloom. 2D or transparent shaders don't use depth therefore this option can't be applied to them.

You can try this tool which can be added to an object to force it write to depth buffer: https://github.com/RamiroOliva/TranspDepth

Or use Highlight Plus 2D.

16. FreeReignPublishing

FreeReignPublishing

would the tool work with particles that have bloom too?
    to get them to appear behind opaque objects. And also does
    the camera have to not be orthographic as well.

17. Kronnect

Kronnect

The tool adds a second pass to the renderer, which writes to z-buffer. I've not tested it with particle systems perhaps it's not compatible.
    Another option you can try is to skip the layer-bloom option altogether and bloom the entire screen but using a brightness threshold high enough so only the specific objects get bloom. For example, passing a very high color value to the sprite material (color = 2 or double white) and push bloom threshold to 1 or even more.

18. FreeReignPublishing

FreeReignPublishing

How do I have the particle material color be double white?

thanks for the reply's.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  19. Kronnect

Kronnect

Try this script:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jln0zo9xpltl7mt/BrightSprite.unitypackage?dl=0

Import the package and check the "Test" scene. Add "Bright" script to any sprite and set the brightness in the inspector. For the bloom to work, you need to set Beautify bloom threshold to 1 and depth atten to 0.
    Note that this are just "fixies" that can work or not depending on your color scheme setup. You may need to tweak the brightness or threshold values.

20. FreeReignPublishing

FreeReignPublishing

is there any way to do it with a particle system instead of a sprite.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  21. Kronnect

Kronnect

22. Kusras

Kusras

Hi, I played a little bit with beautify's sharpen. There is a Min/Max depth, which is cool that too distant objects might be more blurry without the need of using an extra shader to blur it again. But it has a sharp edge between effect and where effect ends. So Might I somehow add falloff into this feature?

Thank you In advance.

23. Migueljb

Migueljb

If I only wanted to use the sharpen filter is that possible. Wanted to use unitys PPv2 stack with beautify's sharpen filter just wondering if thats possible.

24. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi, edit Beautify.cginc file and locate this line:

float depthClamp = abs(depthW - _Dither.z) < _Dither.w;

Add this line and tweak the 0.003 value to create a smooth falloff in the distance:

depthClamp *= saturate((0.003 - depthW) / 0.003);

Yes, you can download a PPSv2 version of Beautify from our support forum. Just sign up and send me your invoice number to get access.

Kusras likes this.
  25. wyatts

wyatts

Hi @Thrawn75 I just purchased this asset and am noticing that in VR the rendering is so different between each eye that it is not usable for bloom / anamorphic flares / sun flares / etc. I've attached an image showing the issue. Is this expected behavior or am I doing something wrong?
    highlightthing.PNG

All the best,
    Wyatt

26. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi Wyatt, it’s strange - have you tried Best Quality with Ultra checkbox enabled? - which Unity version/pipeline and VR device are you using?

27. wyatts

wyatts

I'm using 2018.3.7f1 standard 3D pipeline and SteamVR with a Valve Index. Yes it is Best Quality with Ultra enabled. I also tested it with unity 2019.1.11f1 and Unity's native VR settings with the same results.

The fascinating thing is that with bloom specifically - when Ultra mode is disabled there is less variability between eyes.

I really think this has to do with the nature of effects in VR here though. Whenever you use a screenspace shader there's going to be some variability between the eyes because of their slightly different perspective.

Now something that is definitely a bug is that when I assign a layermask to the anamorphic flares (I put the green capsule on a separate layer) it offsets itself greatly:
    layerMask.JPG
    This occurs in both versions of unity I previously mentioned I've tested. Any idea what's happening here?

28. Kronnect

Kronnect

Seems like a legit bug. Not sure if it's related to the Unity version you're using because it's been used in VR and using Ultra removed any flickering that was the only issue I was aware of in VR. Will review it and get back to you soon.

29. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Is there any way we can see a depth of field implementation such as how they do it in UE4 or sketchfab like stochastic sampling?

Attached Files:

30. Kronnect

Kronnect

It could be an option. Stochastic sampling would be slower though. To improve bluriness of near objects you can enable the HQ Foreground Blur option.

31. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Yeah but the UE4 blur is closer to the physical camera bokeh, beautify DOF bokeh is closer to overexposed colors over simple blur. Those neat clear circles is what makes the DOF look sweet.

32. Kusras

Kusras

Thank you very much :)

this works for me:
    float depthClamp =clamp(1.5 - (abs(depthW - _Dither.z) / _Dither.w),0,1);

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Kronnect likes this.
  33. Kronnect

Kronnect

Beautify's Sun Flares + Globe Edition 2:

34. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

That's actually what I do, script on each object that has a signature. It didn't need more refinement than that for me, so I never refined it further. I use it in combination with the highlighter asset they made.

35. jnbbender

jnbbender

Yeah, I just turned to page 11 and noticed your conversation. As far as the other asset, $25 seemed a little much for those 3? shaders and since Beautify already has this one I wasn't going to spend the money. Although, I do have a followup question. If one of my "enemies" dies, is there are way to turn emission down on that 1 killed enemy? Since, you know, he's not so hot anymore.

36. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Haven't looked into the code since, but I imagine if you just create a smooth clamp for a color\alpha transition on the instance, it can probably do that. I say problably...b\c I havn't tried, Like I said I didn't need further refinement.

Additionally:
    If one of my "enemies" dies, is there are way to turn emission down on that 1 killed enemy? Since, you know, he's not so hot anymore.

The thermal effect is more present on Whiter Colors so if your Dead color is a Darkblue, then in theory it will achieve what your looking for. Once i have a chance I'll send you a sample of what I did...maybe it will helpful? maybe it won't

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    jnbbender likes this.
  37. Rich_A

Rich_A

hopeful likes this.
  38. Kronnect

Kronnect

Amazing job. Thanks for sharing your game using Beautify and Volumetric Fog & Mist. Eager to play it!

Here's the video from the Steam page:

39. chaseholton

chaseholton

I just recently purchased Beautify. Legitimately took my game to the next level! One question though: I’ve seen quite a bit about performance on mobile and my question is more about the heating issues of phones. This handles 60fps on mobile no problem, but the thermal throttling kicks in shortly after starting a game and the frame rate / screen brightness starts to become compromised.

in your testing or previous developers using this, ANy ideas on how to mitigate this?

Kronnect likes this.
  40. Kronnect

Kronnect

To avoid the thermal degradation don’t max the CPU/GPU, for example, optimize your game for 60fps but limit it at 30fps with Application.targetFramerate. Fortnite does this.

On Samsung S10 you can also leverage Adaptative Performance (only on that device): https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.mobile.adaptiveperformance@0.1/manual/index.html

41. Kronnect

Kronnect

Also, in order to reduce GPU payload you can enable "Downscale" option in latest beta version of Beautify which shows up when choosing the "Best Performance" mode. This option forces the camera rendering to a temporary render texture which can be of lower resolution (in a high density mobile screen the difference might not be much noticeable depending on the amount of downscale).

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  42. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

How optimized is the blur in beautify? Is it too performance costly for mobile games?

43. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! Beautify comes with a Best Performance mode designed for mobile which includes a downsampling option to boost performance. It should work quite fast on most mobile devices and definitely is fast on modern devices.

44. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Nice, thanks for the fast reply. I'll try it on mobile then.

Kronnect likes this.
  45. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi

Just installed the latest version into a 2018 project and I see the following errors:

Assets/Beautify/Scripts/Beautify.cs(2613,26): error CS1069: The type name 'XRSettings' could not be found in the namespace 'UnityEngine.XR'. This type has been forwarded to assembly 'UnityEngine.VRModule, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' Enable the built in package 'XR', which is required by package 'VR', in the Package Manager window to fix this error.

...so there seems to be a dependency on XR settings somehow?

Is there any way to remove this?

thanks

Nalin

46. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    I recomm
    Beautify adjusts certain settings depending on the current XR usage so it needs to check XRSettings. It seems that you have VR module disabled in Package Manager. Either enable it again or edit the source code of Beautify and try to comment out the offending lines.

47. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Yeah thanks - I tried editing the source, however it would be nice if we could have a setting to turn VR off.

BTW Love the new Blur - wanted to test it out and its much better and I think faster than the old Unity Blur Optimized.

When did you add this? Might be worth shouting about it :)

Kronnect likes this.
  48. Kronnect

Kronnect

Oh thanks. You're right indeed, probably lacking a bit of marketing about latest Beautify features. It even has a subtle AA filter which can be enabled in Shader Options and is practically free as it's integrated.

49. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

hmmm - thought the Blur existed outside the Shader options as I think I turned them all off as below?

So where is this AA filter?

Screenshot 2019-11-17 at 16.11.31.png

50. Kronnect

Kronnect

Click the Shader Options button and the Antialias option should be listed there.