Search Unity

Beautify! - Improve image quality producing incredibly crisp and vivid scenes

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, May 3, 2016.

1. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Iv noticed Thermal appears to use colors to detect a heat signature...is there a way to make it so characters appear lit up as well? I was hoping to use this affect that I can use to see thru smoke, but if it is pulling color data from brighter shades of color, then the smoke glows...and my characters b\c they wear camouflage are still basically not visible.

2. Kronnect

Kronnect

This effect changes colour palette and add some cinematic effects like distortion and scan lines.
    To make your characters shine when you activate this effect you could also change the material/shader on your characters so they are rendered in a warm color and on top of any geometry (ZTest Always).
    If you need it, I can send you a script you can put on your characters that helps achieve what you want - I’ll also include this script in next update.
    Regards

3. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Yes please id really appreciate it. Just let me know what you need from me and I'll supply it.

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

Just for testing purposes you could send me a sample model or the material/shader you're using for one of the characters.

5. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

You should be able to just use Robot Kyle. As none of my models are doing anything special. All the shaders/materials are just the standard opaque. I don't even use emissive on anythign except environment lights.

6. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Oh that's amazing! Fantastic. I'll send you my invoice once I get home

7. voltaer

voltaer

Looking to acquire this asset as the results look stunning.
    Regarding post:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/bea...p-and-vivid-scenes.401999/page-8#post-3197097

I've had similar issues in the past with getting plugins to work on Unity v5.6.2 and it would appear that Beautify uses features that are not available in this version of Unity. The asset store page has this marked as compatible with >=v5.5.4, can I get a confirmation that this is indeed the case?

Cheers.

8. Kronnect

Kronnect

I assume you refer to the VR issue with Single Pass Stereo? Unity finally ported back the VRTextureUsage option to Unity 5.6.4 but I have not tested it yet nor have released a version for that specific version of Unity sorry. Currently I recommend using Unity 2017.1 or later to use Beautify with Single Pass Stereo.

9. voltaer

voltaer

To clarify, I refer to the usage of RenderTextureDescriptor as this is not available in earlier versions:

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/RenderTextureDescriptor.html

It starts from 2017.1. If Beautify depends on this heavily then I assume that this will cause significant problems with backwards compatibility.

10. Kronnect

Kronnect

RenderTextureDescriptor basically packs fields that were available separately before and while VRTextureUsage has been ported to 5.6, RenderTextureDescriptor hasn't. So it's not possible to use Beautify for Unity 2017.1 package out-of-the-box in Unity 5.6. The only solution is to take Beautify for Unity 5.5 and create a new version for Unity 5.6.4+ that uses the VRTextureUsage field to allow SPSR in that version. I'll do some tests whenever possible and release a new version specifically for Unity 5.6.4-5.6.6.

11. shredingskin

shredingskin

Any tips on using the asset with the unity's stack v2 ?

12. Kronnect

Kronnect

There’s a beta on our support forum for Unity 2018.1 that includes effects for PPS2. To try it, please sign up on the forum and send me a pm with your invoice number. Thanks.

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    Related with the thermal / night FX effects, I'm happy to announce Highlight Plus on the Asset Store.

All new asset for highlighting scene objects! And it's free :)

Highlight Plus is here!
    New asset released. Highlight Plus adds outline, glow and see-through effect to any object in your scene.

Highlight Plus has been designed with platform compatibility and performance in mind. It's compatible with Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, WebGL and VR (Single and Multi-Pass).
    It's also compatible with Standard and Lightweight Rendering Pipeline (LWRP).

Web demo

Visual Features:
    ✓ Glow color, width, alpha, animation speed, dithering.
    ✓ Outline color, alpha and width.
    ✓ Overlay color, alpha and animation speed.
    ✓ See-Through effect intensity, tint color and alpha.

Other Features:
    ✓ Preview effect in Editor (no need to go into play mode).
    ✓ Can affect selective objects or run in automatic mode with layer option.
    ✓ Event system to fine-control automatic mode.
    ✓ Works with normal and skinned meshes.

Get Highlight Plus on the Asset Store!

C_p_H, Korindian and chiapet1021 like this.
  14. Kronnect

Kronnect

ftejada and C_p_H like this.
  15. Keaneo

Keaneo

Hi - there was an update today (6/1/19) but I can't see this BeautifyThermalFX.cs script in there - did it not get released from the beta yet? Just wondering - would be really useful! :)

16. Kronnect

Kronnect

@Keano No yet - next update will support both standard/builtin and LWRP and we want to ensure it's stable enough. However any customer can already get it from the beta board.
    Also Highlight Plus does a better job than that script so...

17. Keaneo

Keaneo

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm a customer but can't find the "beta board" though :-(. I see one for "Fog/Mist" at http://kronnect.me/taptapgo/index.php but not for Beautify. All this VR must be ruining my eyesight! :)

Kronnect likes this.
  18. Kronnect

Kronnect

The usual procedure is to send me a pm with your invoice number then I give you access to the private beta board which I usually do in a few minutes afterwards.. (unless sleeping :))

19. Keaneo

Keaneo

FYI the BEautify/Geometry/ThermalFX shader isn't in the 2018 package. This caused the script to disable itself. I downloaded the 2017 one and will look at that (shader is in there).

Thanks!

20. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks for the heads up, adding it now...

21. mehrankan

mehrankan

hi,
    what is the recommended workflow to have zonal settings for amplify, like I want to change the CC based on my location in the level.

22. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi, you can use Beautify.instance.xxxx to control its properties from code. What's CC?

23. mehrankan

mehrankan

CC=color correction, apologies that's from my time doing color grading in AE/nuke :D
    I would like to have different beatify settings (CC) for different "areas" in my level, I see you can do that by using Beauitfy insatance, will that affect performance? also how can I transition between 2 different LUTS smoothly.
    and is there any chance of getting proper grading controls inside of beautify? like the ones in the post processing stack? https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PostProcessing-ColorGrading.html

thanks.

24. Kronnect

Kronnect

You can assign a different profile using Beautify.instance.profile = xxx (where xxx is the profile asset). However blending between different profiles is not yet supported. It can be implemented through the BeautifyProfile.cs adding a Lerp method that does the transition between two profiles (which must also do a texture lerp to blend the two LUTs - this requires more work).

25. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Hi,

I am very interested in buying beautify, but after reading the last lines in the description about the compatibility with other plugins, I stumbled on the question if beautify will work with cscape shaders and Volumetric Ambient Occlusion ?

26. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Iv got Cscape and Beautify, I'v got no issues using them together. I don't have VAO 2.0 though so I can't talk about that one.

27. tcmeric

tcmeric

Works with VAO for me, no problem.

28. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Wow, I didn't expected to get an answer that fast - for both plugins! xD Thank you! Going to buy right now! =)

update: happy owner of beautify! =D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Paul-Swanson and Kronnect like this.
  29. FreeReignPublishing

FreeReignPublishing

Hi, I cant get layer mask for any of the effects to work
    when I use it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  30. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    Do you refer to the bloom or DoF layer masks? Can you send me more details or sample scene by email?
    Thanks.

31. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

I have an issue with beautify: on my Oculus Rift all my CSCAPE buildings start showing up in white colors. In editor mode everything seems to be O.K.

What can cause this?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  32. Kronnect

Kronnect

Is one eye fully white or just some parts of the buildings which show up in white?

33. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

everything is white on both cameras

34. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Can you give a screenshot?

35. Kronnect

Kronnect

Does it occur in Single Pass and Multi-Pass Stereo as well? I have talked to Oliver, author of CScape who uses Beautify as well without issues. Maybe it’s a conflict or issue with other plugging/effect? Try disabling temporarily other effects and enable Beautify only and then the others one by one.
    If problem persists, please send me an email with screenshot of your Beautify settings and your Unity version. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  36. mehrankan

mehrankan

Hi, can you please tell me how to make custom luts? from what I know you can simply take a lut into photoshop and edit on top of it and bring it back, but that is producing some really whacky results. Can you point me to the right direction?

37. ina

ina

Been trying to debug this for a while now, render texture on non main camera works in editor but once it's on iOS, it shows just the skybox..... This seems to be something up with Beautify - on a secondary camera without beautify on it...

Are there specific settings to be applied here for rendertextures?

38. Kronnect

Kronnect

Try using this code to select the render texture format:

Code (CSharp):
    1. RenderTextureFormat rtFormat = SystemInfo.SupportsRenderTextureFormat(RenderTextureFormat.ARGBHalf) ? RenderTextureFormat.ARGBHalf : RenderTextureFormat.ARGB32;
    If problem persist, please send a repro scene and I'll take a look.

39. ina

ina

Issue seems to be with raw image UI using render texture
    the format is default render texture, still occurs

40. ina

ina

Switching from iOS to Android and back for build takes... forever - hours and hours.
    Lots of shader conversion.... Is there a way to make this faster?

41. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks, will check that setup.

To reduce shader compilation time you can disable any unused effects using the "Shader Options" button on top of Beautify's inspector:

ina likes this.
  42. gecko

gecko

Hey, I've discovered that when using Beautify with Enviro, if I enable Eye Adaptation, then on Mac builds that somehow kills the Enviro lighting (which becomes very plain, like an ordinary Directional Light). Only on Mac, works fine on Windows. Not critical for me, but FYI. Maybe you and Vondox want to chat about it.

43. ina

ina

Is there a way for the shader options to automatically not include the unused shaders?

44. Kronnect

Kronnect

@ina No, just review the list and disable those features which you know you won't use at runtime. When you disable a feature, the options will show grayed in Beautify's inspector.
    Note that you may use different effects in different scenes or moments so there's a difference between having the shader feature completely disabled or just not using it at certain moment. For example, if you disable "Flares" in Shader Options, it won't be available at all in your game. But if you leave it enabled, you can use it or not in your game, depending on the scene, etc.

45. melonhead

melonhead

hi, is there a way to set the level of bloom and anamorphic flare level for a certain layer as i would like some objects less bloomy than other layers, is there any code i can add to the main script to allow the selected layers to have thier own slider for the bloom and anamorpic flare amounts

thanks

46. Kronnect

Kronnect

Sorry - I didn't get a notification for your message and didn't read it until now.
    One way to create custom LUTs is to grab a screenshot of your game and open it with Photoshop or other tool, apply some color filters until you get the result you want and repeat the same operations to a neutral LUT which you export back to Unity in PNG format and assign to Beautify.

47. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    Add two Beautify components to your camera and use different Layer Masks for the Boom and Anamorphic Flares:

You may need to adjust the "Mask Z Bias" slider as well.
    Increase Mask Downsampling to improve performance if needed.

hopeful likes this.
  48. melonhead

melonhead

thank you, i feel stupid now, seems so obvious!!!

49. NatureSimsVR

NatureSimsVR

Hello.
    Didn't see this reported elsewhere, but I am getting the following errors when building in 2018.3.8f1 when building, using Beautify v. 7.0.1:

Shader error in 'Beautify/Beautify': undeclared identifier 'BEAUTIFY_DEPTH_LOD' at Assets/Beautify/Resources/Shaders/BeautifySF.cginc(70) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

-----

Error building Player: Shader error in 'Beautify/Beautify': undeclared identifier 'BEAUTIFY_DEPTH_LOD' at Assets/Beautify/Resources/Shaders/BeautifySF.cginc(70) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

50. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi, thanks for the heads up.
    That error occurs when enabling the option "Use Sun Depth-Based Occlusion" in Shader Options.
    The fix will be published today. You can fix it now editing BeautifySF.cginc file and ensuring the top following lines are present at top of file:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    2.     #include "BeautifyAdvancedParams.cginc"
    3.     #include "BeautifyOrtho.cginc"

NatureSimsVR likes this.