Search Unity

Beautify! - Improve image quality producing incredibly crisp and vivid scenes

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, May 3, 2016.

1. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yep - note that any change done to the inspector settings on Beautify script will not be stored in the profile unless you explicitly hit "Apply". So if you create a new profile, assign it to the Beautify inspector, make some changes and forget to click "Apply", next time the object is activated (basically when OnEnable is executed), the profile will overwrite any change you did in the inspector.

If you still find any issue and have a repro, please post it. Thanks.

muleFuel likes this.
  2. Justin_Wingfall

Justin_Wingfall

when will this support hdrp......will this at least support post processing stack 2? would be great if this can be added into stack.

3. Kronnect

Kronnect

Eventually yes.. preliminary work is already in progress in that direction but it's still too early to announce any beta as SRP is also in preview.

Justin_Wingfall likes this.
  4. Lymdun

Lymdun

Hi,

Does it support Vulkan? Thanks you

5. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes.

Lymdun likes this.
  6. TheBullet

TheBullet

Hey @Thrawn75 !

I'm having problems with depth of field. When the focused object is far away like the sun (second picture), the edges of the near objets don't get blurred. Any idea to solve that?

Thanks!

Grab 3892x2188 Monday May 28 2018 09_45_08.jpg Grab 3892x2188 Monday May 28 2018 09_45_24.jpg

hopeful likes this.
  7. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi, I'll take a look into it - looks like something that can be improved. In the meanwhile you can try this change and see if it improves the effect: edit BeautifyDoF.cginc and replace this line:

Code (CSharp):
    1. float  samples = ceil(sum.a);
    with a minimum value:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float samples = max(8, ceil(sum.a));
    That will force bleeding across areas with different circle of confusion radii.

8. TheBullet

TheBullet

Thank you, it improves the result but it still looks a bit odd.

Grab 3892x2188 Monday May 28 2018 11_43_04.jpg

9. Kronnect

Kronnect

You can try a greater value but that will also introduce too much bleeding. I’ll send you an update that improves out of focus on the foreground with new options.

10. Kronnect

Kronnect

New beta available on kronnect.com forum improving depth of field foreground blur.

red2blue and hopeful like this.
  11. Amin-

Amin-

Hello Thrawn75
    We have a special problem with your asset ! ( 6.1 version )
    please see this screenshots :

without Beautify :
    without Beautify.JPG

with Beautify ( best Quality ) :
    with Beautify ( best Quality ).JPG

with Beautify ( best Performance ) :
    with Beautify ( best Performance ).JPG

I think you got the point most probably and no need for Additional explanation .( the increase of banding ! )
    what shall we do Thrawn75 ?!

12. Kronnect

Kronnect

@Amin- 1) Does the banding go away if you disable LUT?
    2) Check the following: click on Shader Options and make sure Dither is set to run at the end of stack. Increase the dither intensity.

13. Amin-

Amin-

thank you for quick reply Thrawn75 :)

1) Not at all, banding always is with us !
    2) Dither was active and nothing happened when we increase the intensity of that !
    Do you want screenshots of this cases ?

14. Kronnect

Kronnect

If banding persists without LUT try setting dither to occur at the begining of the stack instead (again, Shader Options). Are you using HDR?
    If problem persists, you can send me a copy of that scene (or repro) and I’ll take a look as soon as I get back to office this Monday.

Amin- likes this.
  15. Amin-

Amin-

No, we don't use any HDR Mr.Thrawn75

Ok , I will send you a little sample project like this project .
    We hope to hear good news :)

EDIT : sample file uploaded >> link

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Kronnect likes this.
  16. ahmed_decoy

ahmed_decoy

hey @Thrawn75 ,

Loving the tool, works like a charm.

We're about to start implementing Dynamic Resolution for our game releasing on PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Looking a bit into the implementation, I noticed Unity pointed out some steps you have to take if you're using Post Processing effects along with Dynamic Resolution.

upload_2018-6-11_6-44-9.png

Does Beautify currently support Dynamic Resolution? If it does, is it out of the box or are there changes I have to make on my end to support it. And If Beautify doesn't support Dynamic Resolution, any plan to support it in the near future?

Thanks!

17. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hey, thanks for the words!
    I think Beautify is resolution independent - so at first glance it should work out of the box. However since that feature was only available on XBox we've not been able to test it (yet) so I'm glad to give support for the required changes as you try it out. Just pm me or join the discord server here for a quick chat.

18. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I'm noticing that I'm getting 73 draw calls and GPU frame time of 2.8 ms when using Beautify in my VR game.
    I'm using it for two purposes.

1. Saturate the colors of textures
    2. Bloom

Notice I'm using the Best Quality and not Best Performance. This is ONLY because I need to use the ULTRA setting in bloom...otherwise I get a lot of flickering.

Are there any settings that I could tweak to get better performance while maintaining the look?
    Also, I'm testing this on a GTX 970. Is 2.8 ms per frame normal performance for this? (I could have sworn it was much lower a few months ago).

Attached Files:

19. Kronnect

Kronnect

Have you tried Single Pass Stereo? Which Unity version are you using?

20. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I'm using Single Pass Stereo and just recently updated to Unity 2017.4.3f1.

21. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thank you. I’ll check with that Unity version and get back to you.

22. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Sounds great

23. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

@Thrawn75

does a chance to adding SuperSampling AA [SSAA] feature to this awesome plugin?

24. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! Thanks for your suggestion! ;)

25. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,

Looking for kind beta-testers for upcoming v7... please send me a pm.

Thanks!

p.s. you're also invited to our Discord server: https://discord.gg/SBvAhZJ

26. novaVision

novaVision

I started to use new Unity Addressables in my project and met some conflicts with Beatify resources naming. After several testing I realised that the reason was similar naming some of the asset in Beatify/Resources folder, for example
    Beautify/Resources/Shaders/BeautifyBasic.shader and Beautify/Resources/Shaders/BeautifyBasic.cginc
    or
    Beautify/Resources/Particles/ParticleBlendZBuffer.shader and Beautify/Resources/Particles/ParticleBlendZBuffer.mat

To fix it I have renamed all duplicate named shader. The question is - can it affect somehow on Beautify functionality or not? If yes, how can I solve it? I assume there is nothing to expect from Unity dev team in reasonable terms

27. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi, yes you can safely rename *.shader files but not the .cginc as they are included in the .shader themselves.
    Cheers

novaVision and hopeful like this.
  28. RPowers

RPowers

Hi. Is there an option in Beautify that will remove white pixels / artifacts? With forward rendering and MSAA under certain lighting conditions you get white pixels on the edges of meshes. Very annoying and has been a bug for years, still not fixed. If Beautify can't help remove dead pixels does anyone have other suggestions? Thanks.

29. Kronnect

Kronnect

Does this relate to the issue? https://forum.unity.com/threads/fixing-screen-space-directional-shadows-and-anti-aliasing.379902/

30. lo-94

lo-94

Purchased this to try and improve the look of my game, however now I have severe movement stutter. Does importing this modify the project settings in some way? It may be incompatible with something I am using (Amplify Color, Amplify Occlusion, CTS, Vegetation Studio, Enviro)

Edit: Found issue, I believe it's because I need to be in deferred rendering? Does this asset support deferred?

31. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes, it supports deferred. What Beautify settings are you using? Try disabling other effects until determining the conflict, maybe you’re just enabling too many screen effects for your hardware specs? (I think Enviro also adds a few full screen passes)

32. lo-94

lo-94

Yeah maybe it's Enviro... I'll give it a shot again today and let you know if I can resolve the issue. Thanks for the response, appreciated :D

33. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Is there a video demo showing how eye adaption works? I’ve tried every settings nag and can’t seem to get it to work (I.e. look different).

34. Kronnect

Kronnect

Eye Adaptation occurs when brightness changes abruptly during a short frame time:

The effect makes you blind when switching from very dark areas to Sun day light for example and vice versa. If you look at the ground and suddenly aim to the Sun everything will burn for a short time. And if you make the opposite, from light to dark areas, everything will be pitch black until your retina starts noticing objects. Depending on the settings you may need to stay some seconds on a given bright/dark area for the change to trigger the effect.

Purkinje effect is related to eye adaptation effect - it will also shift colors to blue under very dark ambient.

35. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Thanks for providing a video...yea. I just couldn't get it to work...maybe the brightness difference in my scene wasn't enough.

36. RPowers

RPowers

Yes thanks, I've seen this post before. There's a sample unlit shader that removes the white pixels cause by MSAA but it was just for a test and not really reusable. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed in Unity 2018. This bug has been present for years. I was hoping to find some post image effect that can remove white pixels artifacts, but I guess it's not that simple.

37. Kronnect

Kronnect

38. sheffrey

sheffrey

Hi there,

I'm having some issues relating to the overall brightness of my scene. Enabling Beautify does give me the look I want in my scene, but it makes the scene way too dark compared to the normal post-processing behaviours included with Unity. I can achieve similar looking results in Beautify if I crank the intensity values on my lights, but I'm wondering if this should even be the case. The scene still looks lit without any post processing, so maybe I just missed a setting somewhere in Beautify? I have tried increasing the exposure setting in the tonemapping options, but it still doesn't make my scene bright enough. I tried adjusting the thresholds for bloom and anamorphic flares, setting these to a lower value makes my scene bright enough but the blur from the bloom takes up the whole screen so it is not ideal. I have attached 3 images of my scene for comparison, one with no post processing at all, one with just Beautify applied, and one with just Unity's post processing behaviours applied. Thanks.

Attached Files:

39. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    Check the Contrast slider - try setting it to 1.
    Regards

40. sheffrey

sheffrey

Hello, it's set at 1.

41. Kronnect

Kronnect

Is it occurring on both SceneView and GameView? Could you please share a screenshot including your Beautify’s settings (Camera)? If there’re other image effects try disabling them and see if it affects.
    Alternatively you can send a sample scene by email - I’ll take a look into it.

42. sheffrey

sheffrey

I think I figured out a partial solution; disabling the "Use Alternate ACES Tonemapping Operator" helped. However, I do like the look of the alternate operator, if only it wasn't so dark. I suppose then if I want to achieve a similar looking result with the alternate operator, I should increase the intensity of my lights accordingly?

43. Kronnect

Kronnect

Or increase the exposure parameter. I’ll check if it needs some tweak. Are you in HDR right?

44. Kronnect

Kronnect

Definitely Exposure parameter could be increased beyond current limit of 2. Please edit Beautify.cs and locate _brightness declaration - you can remove the Range field attribute so you will be able to enter any amount in the inspector.

45. RPowers

RPowers

Hi. In my VR game I'm using Beautify in conjunction with CTAA (looks fabulous btw) and was just wondering about the performance impact of some settings, specifically the sharpen effect. It clearly reduces some blur caused by the temporal aa but is it wise to keep it at the max value (15 I believe). I have it set to 15 all the time but is that not recommended? Is there a notable performance difference from a high sharpen value to a low or zero value?

Also the bloom effect is eating up some fps. I noticed I have the ultra setting on. Is that more performance intensive with it on? Do you know what settings I should tweak related to bloom to improve performance?

Thanks!

46. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    Sharpen amount does not increase/reduce performance.
    The ultra option in bloom provides the best quality but is the most expensive bloom option.
    You can also disable dithering in Shader Options although the gain can be marginal.

47. RPowers

RPowers

Ok good to know thanks!

Kronnect likes this.
  48. Migueljb

Migueljb

I'm using beautify on the oculus GO and noticing I don't need the sharpen filter. Im in Basic for the Quality setting and only want to use the Tonemapping and Color Grading NOT the sharpen filter. It's just not needed in VR mobile you need stuff to be softer to help on the alpha buzzing for all alpha shaders. So my question is how do I disable the Image Enhancement sharpen feature? Even setting it to 0 seems to be a tiny bit there can it be delete completely from the stack if I don't need it as well.

49. Kronnect

Kronnect

Click on "Shader Options" on top of Beautify's inspector. There you will find more options where you can disable the core filters - that will disable sharpen and color tweaks. If you just want to disable the sharpen effect, then you need to comment out one line of the shader. Let me know if you need to modify the shader and I'll send you a pm with more details. Cheers.

50. Migueljb

Migueljb

The only thing is unchecking Use Core Filters takes away contrast, brightness and vibrance effects. Those are the only 3 I want to use for mobile VR. If you can send me the modified shader just to take away the sharpen be great. Im also using unity 2017.4.1f if that matters.

Kronnect likes this.