Search Unity

Beaten path or something new?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Zarconis, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Zarconis

Zarconis

I've been working on RPG's, FPS games etc. for a long time and TBH they've gotten a little bit dull in all regards and I've never been a fan of the whole humanoid characters thing, I know how to do every part it's just so monotonous. Anyway I was thinking about some different options:

- Back in the day I sunk a lot of time into Trek birth of the federation, really enjoyed it although it's an alien concept from design to implementation. I've never done anything like it before, although that could be a good thing. Also don't have any clue about the market, how popular are these sort of games? What's the competition like?

- Next is something like EarthSiege, that was quite an interesting game, not sure about the market for it but I guess it isn't too different from what I already do.

- Third option is just to continue down my original path or I'm open to suggestions. No game in terms of complexity is off the cards so feel free to suggest whatever.

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

It sounds like you should probably just take a little break from whatever your current project is, and have some fun prototyping something else. If it goes well, you could keep going on that project. Or the time away from your main project might help you recharge and enjoy working on it again if you come back to it later.

I do wonder, though, about your questions about "competition" and "market" for these game ideas you're considering pursuing. I understand not wanting to put time into making something that no one will want to play. But, it kind of sounds like you haven't decided whether you want to make games because you enjoy making games, or because you think you're going to make money from it. To me, those two motivations dramatically affect my enjoyment of working in game dev.

Lime_x and angrypenguin like this.
  3. Zarconis

Zarconis

Over the last few years I've become disjointed with the genre as a whole, I don't find them all that fun to play never mind make.. Although I don't inherently dislike RPG's at this point I'm just sort of neutral. It'd be nice to focus on mechanics and gameplay instead of just artwork and dialogue.. I think my taste in games has shifted over the years that's all. If we're talking about breaks how does seven years sound :D..?

That being said I did put a lot of work and money into it, I have frameworks for those types of games which makes them easier in some regards than trying anything new. If I am going to go down the third person path I'd be more inclined to follow something like MGS. On a much smaller scale of course..

In terms of marketability vs. enjoyment, I could earn a lot more money working in many other industries thus far so the simple answer to that is I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't enjoy it. There has to be potential ROI though, I do understand that a game may flop for an infinite amounts of reasons but the RPG genre as a whole was still going strong last time I checked (which wasn't long ago).

I shall start prototyping..

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  4. Zarconis

Zarconis

I think I've had an idea that solves many issues and would be rather fun to make.. A side scroller shmup that extends into an FPS game.. It's sort of like R-Type and Doom mashed together. Not sure if these ideas will work together but it's worth a go.

Pro's:

- The core of the game is extremely simple, it shouldn't take longer than 2 - 3 weeks? I did a two level prototype in 17 hours for a game jam.
    - It's infinitely expandable so I won't get bored too quickly, on the other hand it won't ever become too much because everything past the side scroller is just additional content.
    - If I get the need for terrain I can just do some small bio dome's on ships.
    - No time of day system causing performance headache's so I can easily hit a min target.
    - It cuts down heavily on the need for extensive character creation systems, dialogue and all that jazz.
    - The gameplay is the main focus which is good for progression and feedback.
    - This project will be infinitely quicker than anything I've ever done before.
    - I can spend a lot more time tweaking and polishing which I like to do apparently.
    - Doesn't matter what I use to make it.
    - It's something different.

Con's

- Essentially besides the basic premise of being a lone wolf space pirate there won't be much in the way of story line.
    - The game will heavily rely on mechanics to keep it interesting, need to think of a few past upgrade, loot and survive. A bit lost there..
    - Not sure if there's a market for it.
    - Might be a bit hollow?
    - Would still take some time to do properly, the RPG would essentially be buried. Although that's potentially not a bad thing TBH.

Thoughts?

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

RPGs seem like they take your time and make you more alone.

Zarconis likes this.
  6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

so you land on a planet, kick-ass in old school 3d, then take off to make your escape in old school 2d?

sounds cool. Maybe it's all about getting in and capturing something, then getting out before impossible reinforcements arrive. So you can build towards a high risk speed build, or a firepower/tank build.

angrypenguin and Zarconis like this.
  7. Zarconis

Zarconis

I wouldn't mind keeping it all 3D just because I personally find it easier, the ships interiors can be the super high graphics bits that I enjoy. I can hard surface kitbash quite easily so it shouldn't drown out too much time.

So I was thinking you can use the 3D shmup bit to get through enemies, lower the defences of the boss ship and then board it in a 3D FPS mode. You can loot equip or just steal the entire ship (if you can) :D and I'll add some nasty surprises along the way. Some ships could be brutal aliens or bots and others might be easy but I could keep that as a guessing game to add some re-playability. Once you've done a mission return to base, upgrade your stuff, converse with other members and then head out again.

If it's going to replace my main project I don't mind spending extra time on it, although I'm going to set a deadline as you suggested. I figure a year + six months for polish / must have add-ons? Which for me is VERY fast and not actually that long.. Anyway It'll be like a mixed mode 3D, very lite RPG (as in almost none existent, some interaction / player upgrades), side scrolling and FPS shmup mixup, take all the project breaking / excessively lengthy stuff out and keep the good bits. I like the build options idea :).. > Added to gameplay. Cheers BTM..

I'll start prototyping now I've got a faint idea. Keep the suggestions coming, appreciate it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  8. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

that sounds cool too.

I thought shmup always meant a 2d side scroller but i guess not necessarily, that's why i came up with that idea.

BrandyStarbrite and Zarconis like this.
  9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I still play this game regularly. For a modern game somewhat in the same spirit, take a look at Stellaris from Paradox Interactive. This is a company that specializes in huge scope 4X grand strategy games, though most others are historically based.

These types are games, even a more simple game like BoTF, are pretty complex games requiring a large investment in time and resources, especially if want want to go the multiplayer route.

10. HisDominionGames

HisDominionGames

Action RPG? That could utilize some of the frameworks you already have in place while also being different enough to spice things up a little.