Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Beast Output Negative and Large Values?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by moontown, Jan 26, 2015.

1. moontown

moontown

Hi folks
    For some strange reasons, I am trying to manually convert Beast output to 8-bit RGBM.
    Using Python OpenEXR, I find:
    max(channels[0]) == 290.000061456
    min(channels[0]) == -0.00781250557338

290 seems oddly high, and outside of RGBM max range (8.0f). Does unity clamp these values at some point?
    With light intensities only in [0..8], and colors in a 0-1 range, How am I getting negative results in my lightmap?

Thanks!
    Alex Mouton

2. moontown

moontown

Just to follow up, I had a Half to float conversion error.
    The correct max was ~3.78,
    The minimum is -1.0, which I guess is a signal for pixels that are unset in the lightmap.