Search Unity

Beast Lightmapping - Mirror's Edge

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by karlozm, Nov 22, 2010.

1. karlozm

karlozm

This is my best bet for a Mirror's Edge look.

NOT perfect, there are many details missing, like i haven't been able to match the exact blue hue. However i'm posting my configuration file, maybe it could work as a starting point for someone.

I hope someone out there knows how to make it perfect! :p

$BeastME.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT:

Here are some screenshots notes with the settings i used for that scene:

$SunLight.png $BeastBake.png

For the Directional Light:
    - RGB (255, 255, 238)

For Bake's Sky Light color:
    - RGB (0, 94, 169)

NOTE: of course this is a so dense blue color all over the scene.

Try the following settings too, they should look fine for most scenes:

[Realistic Look]
    sun: color (253, 255, 198), intensity: 0.7
    lightmap: 2 bounces, sky color: (66, 118, 178), intensity: 0.7

[Stronger GI]
    sun: color (254, 255, 217), intensity: 0.7
    lightmap: 2 bounces, sky color: (4, 25, 67), intensity: 1.5

Have fun!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. easterislandnick

easterislandnick

Hi, I am trying to achieve a similar look to this, your xml file improves the look of my level a lot but after I load it I can't alter any values after I have loaded it. I don't fully understand the format of the file so I can't input them manually. What controls the colour of shadows? Is it the skylight colour?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nick

3. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

http://www.3drender.com/glossary/colortemp.jpg

Also check out Jeremy Birn's Book: Lighting and Rendering [digital]. Anyone working with 3D art should have read this, IMO.

I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure the blue hue you're looking for is somewhere in there... ;)

4. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

This was all mentioned in another thread. Increase the ambient color, make it slightly blue, including the skylight or a skydome or HDRI (check custom beast settings for using HDR images to create more realistic lighting) around the scene does exactly what you're wanting.

5. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

its created by an indie game studio.i know created in 10 hours
    modeling in maya(very low poly).light mapped in unity 4.use LUT in some screens hots

Attached Files:

6. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

This thread is more than five (!!) years old. o_O
    Beast isn't even integrated into Unity any more. Enlighten should be able to create this look with default settings much more easily than Beast did. And it works dynamically, even.

7. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

I know that unity 5 light mapping completely buggy and unusable for this time. in the future maybe usable for static light mapping.
    for more information see unity 5 light mapping bug reports and errors

8. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

What kind of bugs did you encounter with Enlighten?
    Have you submitted the bug reports?
    How were you not able to recreate the Mirror's Edge look with Enlighten but with Beast - are you sure that you aren't just more acustomed to Beast than to the new workflow?

9. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/stuck-at-clustering-jobs-when-baking-lightmaps

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues?category=global-illumination

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/lighting-bake-direct-job-failed-with-error-code-5

for example problem:

FAILED EXECUTING EXTERNAL PROCESS FOR 'FINAL GATHER' JOB ERROR REPEATING DURING LIGHT BAKE OF SOME LEVELS

lastest comments:
    -----------------------------------------
    YETTA1
    Same issue with 5.3.1f
    PENDALI
    I got the same issue in : Unity 5.3.4f1 , It's not consistent either. Sometimes I get the error , and sometimes I don't. specially when rendering higher resolutions it gets more frequent.

DOBRI
    Still appears in 5.3.4f1
    PANDAZOIC
    Getting the same issue with 5.3.4f1. When will 5.3.5 be released? We have a pressing deadline coming up and need to know when baking will work again. Thanks so much!

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  10. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

You are quoting s few people who are encountering bugs.
    Did you personally encounter these problems so that you come to the conclusion that is is "completely unusable" at this time?
    What do you think all the people who DO have shipped games with Unity5 used?

11. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

after one years i cant bake my 500*500 terrain with my models on t.
    its simple test(5.4 - 5.3.3)

12. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

@aliyeredon2: I hope you know that 140 as the baked resolution is WAAAAAAY over the top.
    Try to clear your gi cache and set the resolution to something sensible(like 10 - 20).

the_motionblur likes this.
  13. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

I m working on lightmap setting over 5 month. also working with Turtle in Maya,mental ray,LightMapping Extended(Beast-unity 4)....
    but unity 5 setting Confused. 140 resolution is for quality comparison. originally bake with 14 and take 10 minutes. with 140 take same time!!! i clear GI cache and bake successful. turn on Final Gather and stop Baking.clear GI Cache again and finally work without Final Gather. i don't know what is Enlighten Logic. with Atlas size 32 bake in 3 minutes. and with 1024 bake in 2 minutes!!!(maybe for GI Cache)
    i doesent have more time to spend unity 5 lightmapping problems. export my Entire Scene to Maya (with asset Store Plugin)and Bake with turtle without any problem!!!

Last edited: May 25, 2016