Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Beast Light Mapping isn't working

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by gregmax17, Jan 22, 2013.

1. gregmax17

gregmax17

Hello, I am having troubles with Beast Light Mapping.

I have a scene with several Spotlight Lights in my scene, with several objects all sharing the same texture/shader to save on draw calls. Everything is static. But when I bake my scene, these are the .exr files it generates: pic1, pic2, pic3, and pic4.

This is the end result.

What is going on?

2. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

What shader are you using?

3. gregmax17

gregmax17

I have tried many.

The one in the example I gave is using Mobile/VertixLit.

4. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

What does it look like without the baking?

5. gregmax17

gregmax17

It looks good, very nice in fact. Nothing near the end results. No tetris like squares anywhere. All the objects are receiving the lighting properly.

I would like to use the beast light map because it makes the scene a bit more realistic, and it saves on the cpu/lighting during in game (am I correct on this part?).

6. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

It looks like your secondary UVs are not in the 0-1 space. Are you using Unity to generate your lightmap UVs?

7. gregmax17

gregmax17

@antenna tree, Sorry, but I do not know what you are talking about :{

What are the 'secondary' UVs you are referring to? I am 100% certain that my UV coordinates are within the 0-1 range (I can't access the files at the moment).

What do you mean by having Unity generate my lightmap UVs? Isn't that what Beast Lightmap does?

8. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Beast uses a second UV-Channel to unwrap all your geometry. You could create it on your own in a 3d app or let unity create it in the import dialoge.
    Your result looks like it uses a second channel, which isn't mapped properly

btw@Antenna: My automatic unwrapping hangs on split meshes. I waited 1hour for nothing. If I split it in 3dsMax and import&auto unwrap it one by one, I'm done in 10mins. Bug worthy ?

9. gregmax17

gregmax17

@FlorianSchmoldt, is that the "Generate Lightmap UVs" option (looking at the docs here)?

I don't know if I checked this when importing my models... I will have to look at this when I get off of work (sigh, only a few more hours, ha).

10. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes, we always like to get ahold of meshes that cause our unwrapper to hang. Thanks.

11. gregmax17

gregmax17

Finally got to it, but it still isn't working as expected. The plus side is I am not seeing those tetris block shapes anymore. But now, I am seeing everything very, VERY dark.

Here is what it looks like after I bake the scene.

But this is what I want to see

Edit - Never mind, everything seems to be working. Thank you everyone for your help!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013