Search Unity

Bayat - Save System - An ultimate data management solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by hasanbayat, Jan 28, 2020.

1. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Thanks for testing again ❤️
    I haven't seen that "DXT1 compressed textures not supported ..," error before, isn't that what makes the build fail?

Not sure about the error though, I'm going to try to build the same scene and see if I get the error on 2018.1, otherwise I'll test on the latest version.

2. f1chris

f1chris

yes it's probably what's causing the rest to fall out. Can't find that DXT1 texture causing problem.

3. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Unfortunately, no there is no plan for that, but I think I'll add it on the roadmap, cause this feature looks interesting on some specific cases.
    By the way, for your case you can implement it by the system serialization API and storage API which are open and flexible, so you'd be able to easily implement it and add your own features to it.

For example, you can serialize the data to a string variable, then whenever the users want, you can save that serialized data to a file, or you can use MemoryStream instead of a variable.

Hope this helps ❤️

Zebbi likes this.
  4. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

The build with Unity 2018.1 for iOS succeeded, using the Saving & Loading Scene Objects scene, I'll try to build with 2019.3 tomorrow maybe to check if there are any errors with it.

5. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Implemented pagination on Create Object Converter window that improves the overall performance and fixed various bugs for creating converters as well, will be included in the upcoming version.

Annotation 2020-02-23 144902.png

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  6. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

The new version is now live on the Asset Store, 1.0.9:

Notes
    • We're moving out the AssetReferenceResolver out of the Save System folder so it lets you update the package in future easier, so make sure to move out your AssetReferenceResolver before updating to Assets/Resources/Bayat/Core folder (an alert dialog will be displayed once you install the latest version that asks you to move it out automatically)
    • Backup your project before updating and also remove the Save System before importing
    New features
    • Moving Asset Reference Resolver from Plugins/Bayat folder to Resources folder, which makes it easy to update the package in future
    Bug fixes
    • Fixed Unity object null check for ObjectJsonConverter issue
    • Fixed Create Object Converter generating with full type name information instead of its friendly name
    Known Bugs
    • It looks sometimes the Asset Reference Resolver resets its data as reported by a few users, if anyone has more information on it, please let us know, we didn't see this behavior on our side yet
    • We've received some reports that there are some issues around saving Unity objects with additive scenes (multi-scene) with reference
    • We're working on to improve performance for working with larger projects especially on reference resolvers which is currently an issue

Thanks for staying with us ❤️

7. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Added Auto Save Manager and GameObject Serialization Manager window to make it easy to exclude children or components from serialization:
    Annotation 2020-03-01 184846.png
    Annotation 2020-03-01 184822.png

f1chris likes this.
  8. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

The new version has been submitted, 1.0.24:

Notes
    • Backup your project before updating and also remove the Save System before importing (if you've modified Default settings inside the plugin folder, then make sure to move them out before deleting or importing too)
    New features
    • Added Remove On Disable option to the AutoSave component to allow you to choose whether to remove the auto save from auto save manager on OnDisable event or not
    • Added Update On Scene Saving to Scene Reference Resolver which lets the Scene Reference Resolver to update and collect dependencies when you're saving the scene (you can disable it anytime on the Scene Reference Resolver component)
    • Added Update On Entering Play Mode to Scene Reference Resolver which lets the Scene Reference Resolver to update and collect dependencies when you're entering the play mode (you can disable it anytime on the Scene Reference Resolver component)
    • Added CustomSettings property to JsonSerializerSettingsPreset
    • Added support for serialization of ScriptableObjects by both reference and value instead of just reference
    • Added Auto Save Manager window that lets you manage the Auto Save component settings through an intuitive interface
    Annotation 2020-03-01 184846.png
    • Added GameObject Serialization Manager window that lets you manage the GameObject Serialization Handler component settings through an intuitive interface
    Annotation 2020-03-01 184822.png

Bug fixes
    • Fixed Auto Save Manager referencing same Auto Save component multiple times
    • Fixed Vector2Int and Vector3Int properties being saved as floats instead of int
    • Fixed GetFriendlyName issue
    • Fixed PlayFab integration issues
    • Fixed Firebase Realtime Database integration issues
    • Fixed Firebase Cloud Storage integration issues
    • Fixed Default settings preset configuration not reflecting on SaveSystemSettings.DefaultSettings
    • Fixed Asset Reference Resolver referencing assets with invalid Hide Flags and causing build errors
    • Fixed Asset Reference Resolver error on import or reset
    • Fixed PlayerPrefs Storage not storing data without Base64 encoding
    Known Bugs
    • It looks sometimes the Asset Reference Resolver resets its data as reported by a few users, if anyone has more information on it, please let us know, we didn't see this behavior on our side yet
    • There are some issues around saving Unity objects with additive scenes (multi-scene) with reference
    • We're working on to improve performance for working with larger projects especially on reference resolvers which is currently an issue
    • The Rigidbody2D type requires the 'bodyType' property to be set at last so after generating a converter for it, make sure to re-arrange its WriteProperties method to match the `bodyType` order
    • Serializing Dictionary with object key type requires the object to implement TypeConverter in order to deserialize it
    • There are no built-in converters included for Unity types, cause Unity is constantly updating and changing their API, so it also allows you to generate them whenever you want too and modify them to your desire, so if you run into any issues with serializing them, just generate a custom converter and modify it to fit your requirements
    • It looks there is an issue with loading a runtime instantiated object which was previously referenced by Scene Reference Resolver after exiting and entering play mode again, if you have found any more information or you had the same issue, please let us know

Thanks for staying with us ❤️

9. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

Hello - Can this save an entire scene to a single file? Or do we need to save each object to a separate file?
    Also does it support asynchronous save and load?

10. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Hello.
    Thanks for the question ❤️
    You can use the Auto Save feature to save the whole into a single file or using your own scripts or any other way, it is possible.

It uses Async/Await now, but it is not fully multi-threaded yet, mostly for Unity objects which we're currently working on some ways to maybe apply multi-threading on all, no ETA or promises though,

Hope this helps.

antsonthetree likes this.
  11. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

I purchased it yesterday. So far it seems to do everything I need. Thanks!

Question: I have a prefab that loads a mesh and texture from an external file during the Start(). There are multiple instances of this prefab in my scene. When I use your save system it saves everything includeing the vertices, normals, uvs etc for each instance of the prefab. This makes for a giant save file. How can I tell the save system to ignore vertex and texture data when saving?

Update: Basically I just need to save and load prefabs at their positions. I think I can do this with the AssetReferenceResolver to minimize file size, but the documentation just shows how to convert guid to object and back. How do I tell the save system to save the prefab as a guid instead of dumping all of the gameobjects and mesh info to the file?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  12. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

Anyone knows how to create one save file for all scenes in game so i can have several savegame slots to load. Autosavemanager just let you change the identifier at editor, but i need to have one identifier for each savegame slot for all scenes

13. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Thanks for the questions ❤️
    1. Maybe try to use GameObjectSerializationHandler component to exclude the MeshFilter from being serialized, and then when you load back the prefab, load the mesh back from the external file.
    2. Or you can also use this component to only save transform instead of excluding the Mesh components, this would work too.
    You can also only Save the transform component of your GameObjects if they're being referenced by SceneReferenceResolver, if you're instantiating the GameObjects by yourself, you might add them manually to the SceneReferenceResolver using the SceneReferenceResolver.Add(Object) method and then make sure to use the GUID for the next time, this will be handled by the save system too, you can first try all these stuff in the editor and see how it goes.

14. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

I wouldn't recommend doing that, but it is possible.
    I'd suggest you use a directory for this or store them as individual files instead of doing that, because it improves the performance, it is a better practice if you want to manage your data.

For example, if you store like 2 or 3 scenes data to a single file and want to load it back, the whole file should be loaded to the memory for deserialization and finding out each specific piece of data for the scene, this, as you know, decreases performance and is just a loss at anyway, but by using individual files it gives extra performance and flexibility to you for managing your data, such deleting, backing up and many other.

So, if you're willing to save slots to a single file you can have a folder for them like "slots/my-slot.dat" and whenever you want to have a list of them, you can use ListAsync method to get a list of them, and you can simply remove them by calling DeleteAsync("slots/my-slot.dat") or DeleteAsync("slots").

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help.

15. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

Do you mean store each scene in an individual file, check in what scene i am and load the file just for that scene?

16. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Yes, you can have a specific identifier for each scene or use the scene name.
    By the way, you can just use the Auto Save Manager identifier to adjust it per scene, like "scenes/my-scene.dat".

17. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

Ah ok, now i see the sense of using directories with Auto save manager

18. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

Anyways i need to save all scenes and not just one. If i start the game, progress from dungeon levels 1 to 10, i need to have all the changes made in those 10 scenes saved in one file as i could have started a new game making different levels than in other save. Creating folders its ok if dont let user have completely different saves, like you mention scenes folder as there will be no slots, just one folder with all the scenes in different files. if i create several folders for several slots i would need each folder had the same files of a loaded slot, when i save the loaded savegame in a new slot.

19. iihx232

iihx232

Hi, i have game with many many object which hide on button. Can i make undo button (unhide this) with help save-system???

20. kristoof

kristoof

Hey!
    I just bought this for my game, but when I try to run the example scenes my disk goes 100% and my unity freezes.
    Unity 2019.3.2f1, win10, 512gb m.2 pci-e ssd.

Edit: this only happens when the scene is not added to the build settings.
    Edit2: nop, still happening.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  21. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

I just wanted to address this, that this has been continued on Discord, as well as this one.

kristoof likes this.
  22. ZayLong

ZayLong

I have an inventory component.

I save it in scene one using

await SaveSystemAPI.SaveAsync(targetInventory.name + ".json", targetInventory);

I then try to load it in scene two using

targetInventory = await SaveSystemAPI.LoadAsync<Inventory>(targetInventory.name + ".json");

it works in a weird way.

It does not load the inventory data onto the object I specify.

It loads it as a new object called

"JSON Loaded Inventory Component"

I have a feeling this is because of the Reference Manager GUIDs being different between scenes for the same gameobject.

How do I work around this problem?

Thank you

23. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Hello.
    That's not a problem in the first place, it happens because they're actually 2 different GameObjects, they just share the same components, except you use DontDenstroyOnLoad on it.
    So, you can use LoadIntoAsync instead of LoadAsync, to Load it directly to the GameObject you want, this way it would work.

But if you're using DontDestroyOnLoad and want to save it without LoadInto, then you need to add the same reference of the object using the same GUID to the next scene too, using the Inventory script itself maybe, the API is public by Scene Reference Manager.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks.

24. ZayLong

ZayLong

That worked perfectly, thank you.

hasanbayat likes this.
  25. wwaero

wwaero

Hello I'm wondering if your plugin is capable of saving this structure into a json save file and reading it back into unity.

Code (csharp):
    2.     public abstract class Unit : NetworkBehaviour
    3.     {
    4.         public List<Ability> abilities; //could have AnotherAbility or BasicAbility classes
    5. }
    7. public abstract class Ability : NetworkBehaviour
    8.     {
    9.         public string title;
    10.         public Sprite symbol;
    11.         public bool isAbilityActive;
    13.         public abstract void RunAbility(Unit callingUnit);      
    14.     }
    16. public abstract InheritedAbility : Ability
    17. {
    19. }
    21. public class AnotherAbility : InheritedAbility
    22. {
    23.     public float fuel = 10f;
    25.     public override void RunAbility(Unit unit)
    26.     {
    27.            //ability function
    28.     }
    29. }
    31. public class BasicAbility : Ability
    32. {
    33.       public float energy = 3f;
    35.      public override void RunAbility(Unit unit)
    36.      {
    37.              //ability function
    38.       }
    39. }

26. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Hi.
    Yes, that is totally possible with the system, you can learn more about the serialization features here: http://docs.bayat.io/save-system/manual/serialization.html

27. jimmying

jimmying

Hey, I have a question about your asset before I purchase.

I simply want to create an encrypted asset bundle in the editor (it doesn't need to be during runtime).

Then I'll store it on a server.

From there my game will download the item from the server, store it locally on device (Android, iOS) and then load and decrypt the asset bundle so then it can be used in the game.

If that's possible, is this a reasonable way to go about securing my asset bundles so users can't simply copy my asset bundles and open them in Unity?

Thank you!

28. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Hi, thanks for the question ❤️
    I wouldn't recommend using the Save System for this purpose personally, but it is possible to do it by using its Encryption feature to encrypt your binary data individually, not through serialization process.which might be a time-consuming process for building asset bundles and unpacking them.

By the way, I would recommend you to directly use C# AES encryption for encrypting asset bundles instead which would be much easier for asset bundles, but if you want to have a data to be serialized and encrypted by the save system and be included inside the asset bundle, then this system would be a good choice for you.

I hope this addresses your question, thanks.

29. jimmying

jimmying

Thanks for the response! Yes, I did start looking into the C# AES encryption after posting my question so I'll probably go with that. I'll probably need your asset for the other features in the future though so I'll be sure to pick it up then. Thanks again.

hasanbayat likes this.
  30. MrIconic

MrIconic

A few questions-

1) How do you get the callback for when saving and/or loading is completed?

2) Can the Serializer be used standalone. To essential achieve the results right before it's saved to disk?

3) Is there a save-to-memory option?

31. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Thanks for the questions ❤️

1. You can either use async/await to wait for the completion of the task or subscribe to SaveSystemAPI events
      Annotation 2020-04-13 102255.png
      Code (CSharp):
      1. // Async/Await example
      3. public Action saved;
      5. // You can also use async on Unity messages
      6. async void Start() {
      7.     await SaveSystemAPI.SaveAsync("test.dat", myData);
      9.     // The save is completed now you can invoke an event like below or do whatever else
      10.     this.saved.Invoke();
      11. }
      13. async void Save() {
      14.     await SaveSystemAPI.SaveAsync("test.dat", myData);
      16.     // The save is completed now you can invoke an event like below or do whatever else
      17.     this.saved.Invoke();
      18. }
    2. Yes, you can either use the Serializer instance available in SaveSystemSettings or SaveSystemSettings.DefaultSettings or SaveSystemSettings.DefaultSerializer to achieve the result prior to saving to disk, or you can manually instantiate a new instance of the serializer class.
    3. Unfortunately, no there isn't, because we didn't see any point to include that without side effects on user control on the process, so now you can directly use the serializer to serialize the data and store into a variable which will be on the Memory, or you can provide a MemoryStream to the serializer API, by the way, let me know if it is a necessary feature to be included, then I'll re-think my approach.
    I hope these address your questions.

MrIconic likes this.
  32. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hello, I just bought bayat save system and made some tests. The serialization abilites are amazing! I can simply pass my custom class into it and all stuff serialized properly!
    But I got a question about game save backwards compatibility.
    My game is still under development, so some save class's members can be changed in future, but players already saved the old class inside the save file, when I updated my game to the players, now their receiving class(has the same type with the old save, but may contain more new member variables or fewer variables) is changed, can the loaded data be deserialized into this new class.
    Is there any official suggestions on this topic?

33. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Hi, thanks for the question and I'm glad you like it ❤️
    You can have some sort of versioning built into the process like you can add a version property to the file metadata and then at the loading phase make sure to load the data based on the correct version and then do the conversion based on the changed class or stuff like that.

By the way, if you change fields and properties inside a class, like removing or adding new ones won't have any effect on the deserialization, but if you rename a field, the previous name of the field is inside the file, so it won't be deserialized to the new one, a workaround for this is to create a new field whenever you want to rename it and then use Obsolete property on the previous one and then when you're loading the data, get the value from the old variable and set the value for the new one and empty the old one so the new file wouldn't include that.

Another possible solution would be to create a new class for each different version of your serialization or use JsonProperty and similar attributes to shape a schema for your data.

These are the ideas I had at the moment, maybe you can find more and better ideas around.
    I hope this helps ❤️

34. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hello, I have some issues using bayat saving system:
    I constructed a game save class with a class called player save and several structs to save the player data:

Code (CSharp):
    2. public struct Calender
    3. {
    4.         public int year;
    5.         public int month;
    6.         public int day;
    7. }
    9. public struct SaveInfo
    10. {
    11.         public string SaveName;
    12.         public Calender SavedTime;
    13. }
    15. public class PlayerSave
    16. {
    17.         public ulong playerID;
    18.         public string characterName;
    20.         public Vector3 worldPosition;
    21.         public Quaternion worldRotation;
    22. }
    And the GameSave class hold the player save like this:

Code (CSharp):
    2. public class GameSave
    3. {
    4.         public SaveInfo info;
    5.         public Calender inGameTime;
    6.         public PlayerSave player;
    7. }
    Then I found the save file will have a ".temp" followed its file name:
    upload_2020-4-24_14-42-44.png
    And when I load these files, the player save is always null.
    Do I have to specify how to serialize the player save class?
    I see that structs can be easily serialized. Really confused here.

Edit: after some tests, I find it's a custom struct inside a custom struct that got jammed when serializing:
    I've got a custom struct called Calender and another struct called GameSaveInfo.
    The GameSaveInfo struct has a field of Calender to store the time when the game is saved.
    And the GameSaveInfo struct is inside the GameSave class.
    I'm using SaveSystemAPI.SaveAsync(path, gameSave); to save the whole GameSave class
    and us SaveSystemAPI.LoadIntoAsync<GameSave>(file, save); to load.

Edit2: Found the issue: the serializer cannot serialize custom structs or classes two layers deep inside the saving class. And a dictionary using an int as key and a custom class as value can be saved but cannot be loaded. Is it the limitation of the saving system or I'm doing things wrong?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  35. cranecam

cranecam

hi there,

what are the commands to delete all current
    storage (similar to EasySave's Clear Persistent Data Path.)

36. Zebbi

Zebbi

It would be really nice to be able to add the autosave component to objects that need to be persistent between scenes, but instead of saving permanently, it could always go to a temporary file. Then, when the user is able to save, all of the temporary saves could be committed to a permanent file. This would be a really convenient way of handling multiscene objects without needed to use DoNotDestroyOnLoad or manually handling them in a list of vars.

37. OscarLeif

OscarLeif

Not sure if this is the correct place to report issues.
    I'm using this save system but I have some issues when compile for Android platform.
    When I compile using mono everything works fine, when I change to "Il2cpp" and set stripping engine to "low" the project still works fine, but when set stripping engine to medium or high this will fail.
    Not sure where I can send an example.

38. Zebbi

Zebbi

39. Nyrio

Nyrio

I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the Save System asset properly with a WebGL build. Can anybody give me a pointer? The guides mainly deal with the topic of standalone builds. Thanks!

40. Zebbi

Zebbi

No support for 6 weeks is a bit disappointing

41. TheFlyHawk

TheFlyHawk

Can you serialize texture and meshes?
    Like this

[System.Serializable]
    public class SceneData
    {
    public string name;
    public Texture tex;
    public Mesh mesh;
    public AudioClip audio;
    public VideoClip video;
    }

42. kevdome3000

kevdome3000

Hey there,

I recently purchased the Bayat Save System and I have a number of questions but I can't find an email for customer support. Is there one? If so, what is it?

43. Harekelas

Harekelas

As I've tested, textures can be serialized but very inefficient. Better just save them as png files through unity's API
    I haven't tried meshes, videos or audios. But extract the core information then save the raw info could be more efficient in my opinion. (for example, you can simply save three arrays: the vertices, triangles and uvs of a mesh to save file and reconstruct the mesh when loading)

And I've never seen developers of this asset come here to answer anything since last time I posted a question.

44. yomanx

yomanx

Hey friend, what about php server integration?

45. apageeltd

apageeltd

Hi,
    I have just started using the Save Game Pro and its a beautiful and easy asset to use.

Mainly the problem i am facing is , Playmaker firebase Database.

When i save game , i am getting the data in the firebase realtime database in console. but the score which i see in the Firebase Console , is kind of Encrypted and i cannot find the value of it.

So , please suggest me that what i can do to read the data in Firebase Console.
    Your suggestion will help me a lot sir, i will eagerly await for your reply.
    Also, i am attaching some screenshot for your reference.
    Kind Regards,
    Shihan
    Realtime Database 1.png Save FSM.png Load Button FSM.png

46. OscarLeif

OscarLeif

Save System and Save game pro are not the same.

47. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

The new version has been submitted, 1.12.27:

✏️ Notes ✏️
    • Backup your project before updating and also remove the Save System before importing (if you've modified Default settings inside the plugin folder, then make sure to move them out before deleting or importing too)
    New Features
    • ⭐ Updated the reference resolving database by using Dictionaries instead of Lists that improved the performance by 30x faster reference resolving (Asset Reference Resolver and Scene Reference Resolver) that means both of the reference resolvers now use an optimized fast database
    • ⭐ Added Database Migration Window which allows you to migrate old scene and asset reference databases to the new fast and optimized database available at Window > Bayat > Core > Database Migration
    • ⭐ Added Add Asset Reference(s) menu item for adding a reference to assets using the project window and scene hierarchy context menu
    • ⭐ Added Add Scene Reference(s) menu item for adding a reference to scene objects using the scene hierarchy context menu
    • ⭐ Added Steamworks .NET integration
    • ⭐ Added Facepunch Steamworks integration
    ⚙️ Fixed Bugs ⚙️
    • ✔️ Fixed Asset Reference Resolver, Material Properties Resolver, and Scene Reference Resolver not being serialized cause of not being marked as dirty after modification by collecting dependencies with using EditorUtility.SetDirty inside all API methods
    • ✔️ Fixed Scene Reference Manager window and Asset Reference Manager window zero item issue
    • ✔️ Fixed the Save System Manager and Auto Save Manager menu items creating again while the instance is available in the scene
    ⚡ Improvements & Changes ⚡
    • ⚡ Added Remove Unused References to Asset Reference Resolver, Material Properties Resolver, and Scene Reference Resolver to remove unused references to assets and objects
    • ⚡ Added ReferenceResolverMode which allows you to control how the reference management behave, automatically or manually (the default mode is Auto)
    • ⚡ Added GuidToReferenceDictionary class for handling GUID to reference queries in the database dictionary
    • ⚡ Added ReferenceToGuidDictionary class for handling reference to GUID queries in the database dictionary
    • ⚡ The Reference Checker Window now displays the corresponding *Asset Path* without being referenced by Asset Reference Resolver
    • ⚡ The Asset Reference Resolver now uses the build scenes to fetch new dependencies and check for unused assets, so if you're referencing something outside of your scenes, make sure to not use RemoveUnusedReferences
    • ⚡ Added Remove GameObject Serialization Handler button to the GameObject Serialization Handler Manager Window
    • ⚡ Added Remove Auto Save button to the Auto Save Manager Window
    ✍️ Documentation ✍️
    Thanks, stay awesome ❤️

MrIconic and Zebbi like this.
  48. Zebbi

Zebbi

Wow, thanks for this! Were you okay over the last year @hasanbayat ?

hasanbayat likes this.
  49. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

Yes, thank you for asking, I've been quite focused on some stuff so I didn't catch up on the asset store, but will try to keep things flowing more regularly.

Stay awesome ♥

Gooren and Zebbi like this.
  50. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

The Firebase Firestore integration is now available, Check it out.