Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bawl Physics v2.0

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GibTreaty, Mar 4, 2011.

1. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I've re-added the swing ability. It lets you pull physical objects now! Currently working on a new level.

Bawl Physics 2 Webplayer (will change as I add more things)

2. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

A few more things have been added!
    New Webplayer - Bawl Physics 2

New Level 1.png
    • Working on a completely new level. I plan to have 3 themed mini-levels in it, the first one being sonic and the second is spiderman. I'll be working on the spiderman mini-level soon and the third one I'll reveal later.
    • Camera Alpha Clipping - The ball will become transparent as the camera comes closer to the ball. It also has the option to swap shaders when clipped/not-clipped.
    • Added reflection to the shader to make the ball look fancy-like.
    • The ball changes color. For now it changes color based on rolling speed and when the magnet ability is enabled.
    • The swing ability has a few more options, one of which can either shorten or lengthen the rope overtime (either additive or based on a multiplier of the rope length).
    • A few more things that I don't remember because I haven't been keeping a list... *smacks self*

Note: This is not yet available on the store but it WILL be once I am finished!

3. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

4. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Bawl Physics 2 Webplayer

Progress update: I'm working a metroid inspired mini-level. What's in it? A small area surrounded by a rock wall, a giant pillar with rotating magnetic sections, a sort of 2D mini-mini-level (the giant wall behind the pillar) and a tiny room inside of this mini-level (to the right) that I'm still deciding what to do with.

twitchfactor likes this.
  5. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I'm testing out implementing 4.6's UnityEvents into Bawl Physics 2.0 so abilities can be hooked up to other things from within the Inspector. I'll play around and see if the UI can control the abilities such as rolling. A button can be used to jump but using sliders to control the rolling currently isn't possible.

Also, I added a launcher pod in the Metroidlike minilevel. You have to make your way through the tunnels and platformer wall to get to it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  6. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

New Input.PNG
    New Input 2.PNG

With the new UnityEvents added into the Controls class and the Ability components you'll be able to hook up ability usage without code. Or you can create your own input script and Start/Stop abilities however you'd like. For the Roll ability I've added multiple StartAbility functions with different parameters so you can take advantage of UnityEvents. For instance you could hook up this Joystick script that I made and use it to control the ball. Or you could use a single slider to tell it to move forward/backward or just left/right if that's what you really want.

I'm still trying to work out the best way to do effects. It's hard to determine if I should just make a script that covers any type of effect or just hardcode it. Let's say you want to play a smoke effect when boosting, you may want to get the boost direction of the ball to orient the particle effects. Or maybe you want to make a trail whenever the ball is above a certain speed. Maybe you want to play a sound when certain abilities are activated. For now I may keep the effects hardcoded and if I think of something later I'll change it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  7. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

New Ability Inspector.PNG

I've swapped out C# events for UnityEvents in Bawl Physics 2.0 and it's awesome. Now effects and things don't have to be hardcoded 100%. There's still a bit of scripting one would need to do in order to get fancier effects beyond simply instantiating or playing a sound. For example, if you wanted to check if the ball is colliding before having an effect fire.

The average surface normal code has been improved. I learned that the OnCollisionStay(Collision) function is only called once per object. I was under the impression that each ContactPoint in the contacts array would hold different objects in the same Collision. But that isn't the case, so I fixed it up and the movement is a bit better.

Also the Swing ability has been renamed to Grapple.

I want to work on putting the mini-levels in a certain order so that you go through them one right after the other. When I'm working on the levels I randomly find something that I either have to fix in the Bawl Physics code or there's a feature I want to add. I'll try to focus more on the level making right now. I can finish adding in the sounds and effects later.

8. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

The final form of the level is being worked on now. I've designed the main area that sort of hooks everything together and am doing some modular level design to build the level. After that's done I'll redo a sonic-like level that leads into it the rest of the level. There will be a large area to do some spiderman-like swinging and the metroid-like mini level will be placed in an out-of-the-way area that is connected to the main part of the level.

9. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

The finish line is getting closer and closer. I'm calling the level finished apart from uv mapping and texturing the launch pod and doing a couple of other small things. I'm mainly working with the code right now to tidy things up, add documentation and add some custom inspectors for some of the components if necessary.

10. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

There is now an example for using Grapple Points for the Grapple ability. Four grapple points are placed on all of the metal trees. Also remember that the Grapple has a 1 second delay between uses! Next up I'm testing another ability, Field (name may be changed later), which is the update for the Explode ability. With it you can explode or implode depending on how the ability is set up. Right now it's only set up to explode but with a negative force value it'll implode.

Here is the level with Grapple Points instead of the previous example where you could grapple to literally anything.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17783172/Bawl%20Physics%202%20Grapple%20Points/Bawl%20Physics%202%20Grapple%20Points%20-%20Index.html

11. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Another new webplayer with a small testing area for the Field ability. Press F to explode! The explosion will effect the other similar looking balls. It accounts for obstructions using a linecast so it won't push objects behind walls. In the inspector you will be able to modify the FieldMask and RaycastObstructionMask to customize what objects can and can't be effected by the Field ability. FieldMask determines which rigidbodies (based on their layer) will have the explosion force applied to them. The RaycastObstructionMask determines which layers will stop the force from being applied to the rigidbodies.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17783172/Bawl Physics 2 Field/Bawl Physics 2 Field - Index.html

12. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Replaced the old cliff model with a more detailed one!

Check it out in the Webplayer!

13. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I've added menus at the top to change graphics options and ability properties. Also a menu to teleport to specific parts of the level that are intended to test certain abilities. Lastly, a menu to view the controls. If you notice any bugs let me know ;)

Webplayer

14. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Added multi-grappling capabilities. Fixed the ball turning purple when the camera gets close to it. Changed the jump behaviour to cap the speed in the direction that you're jumping so that you don't jump farther than expected. Added grass back in.

Lastly, the new automatic ball launcher will be right in front of you when you spawn in the scene. Roll on in and give it a shot!

Webplayer

15. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Quicky update and a question. I've added an example script for mobile tilt controls to be used for rolling the ball. I'm working on setting the level up to work in Unity 5. The scripts only needed a couple of minor changes (ex. using the Cursor class instead of Screen.lockCursor and some physics joint variable settings).

Which brings me to a problem, followed by the question. In Unity 4 I've been having a lot of lag issues in Unity's editor, either caused by Unity itself, drivers or something unknown. So I'm switching over to Unity 5 to try to finish things up. My question is if anyone would mind if I only update this asset for Unity 5 (and later)? If you use Unity 4 Pro and can't switch over to Unity 5 let me know and I'll continue also updating it for Unity 4.6.

16. cg_destro

cg_destro

Looking great!
    Quick question, if I buy bawl now will I get v2 when it will be released? :)

also have couple ideas based on great little game about rolling rock :)
    floating platforms

balancing board and what not :)

-and maybe breakable object that will only break when you have enough speed/ crushing power etc :)
    -when you stand close to wall and jump ball jump away from wall
    -when ball is in air it can easily start turning very fast, changing roll air speed doesn't do much to help with that :/
    -magnet could let go if ball is sticking to ceiling, maybe power will help with that but I cound find that blue structure second time when I wanted to test this :p
    -different types of surfaces would be nice , ice, sticky etc.
    -some particle effects when ball is in high speed and you change direction to oposite and it sliding :) btw if there is break button to loose all speed to zero?
    -when ball have big momentum and I press shift if very quickly loose speed and stick to a place. It work great when you are stacioanty or close to that but when ball raging with full speed it doesnt look that good :/

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    GibTreaty likes this.
  17. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Yes, definitely!

I like it, I like it. Just a heads up, Bawl Physics was intended to be a set of abilities for physics balls. The level is just a way to showcase them. Maybe sometime when I get enough time I could make a scene focused on the sidescrolling mechanics and add some of those things in.

I've added a variable to limit what surfaces angles you can jump from to stop that from happening. I don't think I've added it to the Abilities tab in the webplayer just yet. The limiter is completely optional.

In the editor you would be able to set the angular drag of the rigidbody higher and the max angular velocity to stop that from happening. In the webplayer build it was intentional. The air speed effects a force (not torque) that is applied to the ball when in mid-air and doesn't effect rolling.

You can go to the giant rotating tower by clicking on the Spawnpoints tab and then clicking Magnet.

Again that would have to be completely up to the developer who buys this asset. Ice could easily be done by using using a physic material with 0 friction. Having a sticky surface could be achieved by having a second Magnet ability on the ball that is only set to use a specific layer to stick to, then have the ability stay on.

Sliding can be changed by modifying the physic material that the ball uses. If you make a game with a smaller level, you'd want to use less rolling speed which would prevent you from sliding as much when changing direction.

The boost ability has a drag variable to keep you in place, that can be raised to stop you quicker.

Some of the customizable ability options aren't in the webplayer. Most of them are, some of the options can't be added (such as selecting a Transform object to use as for movement orientation), but I'll add them in.

Thanks for the comments and ideas. I'll see what I can do to improve on some of those things!

18. cg_destro

cg_destro

aaand bought :) thank you for quick answer
    any ETA for v2 at this point?

19. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Thanks!

ETA is ASAP. I'm trying to focus on finishing it. I have other projects I like to work on and they also help me gather ideas for things to add to my assets but I will resume them after I finish the update. There's still documentation I need to make to show how to use Bawl Physics. The scripts need to be cleaned up a bit. Particles and sounds need some work. I need to rework some of the textures to look right with Unity 5's standard shader. I'd like to have had it done months ago but making models, texturing and learning how to sculpt the cliff models ate up a lot of my time. I'm shooting for 1-2 months. Time flies by really fast and the weeks seem short since I have a job that takes up most of my time.

20. cg_destro

cg_destro

Hey,
    For me and probably not only for me most important is features and code work, all artwork I will change anyway so for me it's more than good enough :) I would like to see more features and examples even using basic primitives than more artwork, beautiful models and what not :)

GibTreaty likes this.
  21. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Features are the most important part to me too. But I've also learned that a good presentation helps. I wanted to make a better level than the current version of Bawl Physics, which was made mostly using primitive cubes and a texture that I tiled over everything. It was quick, dirty and showed off what could be done with the abilities but I wanted something more.

22. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I'm working on this as much as can to try and get it out before the end of this month! Right now I'm working on a small trailer. After that I want to make a few documents to explain how to setup certain abilities (ex. some abilities like Roll and Jump need to have surface normals inputted into them because they don't keep track of them on their own).

23. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

It's almost ready to be submitted to the asset store! Finished the trailer and have a few more things left to add.

24. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Made a shortened version of the trailer to show just the action bits.

25. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

To show how simple it is to fire off the abilities I've made this small example input script to control rolling and jumping that will be included with Bawl Physics.

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. namespace YounGenTech.BawlPhysics {
    5.         /// <summary>
    6.         /// Simple input for rolling and jumping.
    7.         /// </summary>
    8.         [AddComponentMenu("Bawl Physics/Input/Simple Input")]
    9.         public class BawlPhysicsSimpleInput : MonoBehaviour {
    11.                 Jump _jump;
    12.                 Roll _roll;
    14.                 public Jump JumpAbility {
    15.                         get {
    16.                                 if(!_jump) _jump = GetComponent<Jump>();
    18.                                 return _jump;
    19.                         }
    20.                 }
    22.                 public Roll RollAbility {
    23.                         get {
    24.                                 if(!_roll) _roll = GetComponent<Roll>();
    26.                                 return _roll;
    27.                         }
    28.                 }
    30.                 void Update() {
    31.                         if(RollAbility) {
    32.                                 RollAbility.StartAbilityHorizontalAxis(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"));
    33.                                 RollAbility.StartAbilityVerticalAxis(Input.GetAxis("Vertical"));
    34.                         }
    36.                         if(JumpAbility) {
    37.                                 if(Input.GetButtonDown("Jump"))
    38.                                         JumpAbility.StartAbility();
    39.                         }
    40.                 }
    41.         }
    42. }

26. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I'm working on a small help window right now to try and help people get familiar with Bawl Physics. After I finish this, I'll get some screenshots for the asset store and I should be good to go to submit it.

WIP

27. cg_destro

cg_destro

cool, looking good :)

GibTreaty likes this.
  28. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

It has been submitted! Now for the dreaded wait. In the meantime here is the final resting place for the webplayer.

Bawl Physics 2.0 Webplayer

29. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

30. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Just noticed that I forgot to include an image for the Bawl Physics Help window's Collision tab. It is an image of the Bawl Physics Surface Detection component. Don't worry though It should be fixed soon. I'm going to be submitting an update for it (uploading takes forever and my internet is being slow).

31. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Bawl Physics 2.01 is up!

Bawl Physics

Bawl Physics 2.01 -

• Unnecessary textures have been removed.

• Some texture sizes have been reduced to save space and download time.

• Missing image was added back in for the Bawl Physics Help window (Collision tab)

Bawl Physics 2.0 -

Added

• -New sandbox level with 3 areas that are inspired by Metroid Prime, Sonic, Spiderman.

• -Bawl Physics Help window (Window/Bawl Physics Help)

• -ActionDelay class – Used for actions that require a timed delay

• -SurfaceStickDelay – Stores a collision normal value for a set amount of time before reseting to a default value. Used, for example, when you want to give a player extra time to jump after leaving the ground.

• -Use UnityEvents that are on each ability to call functions, spawn effects or cause other interesting things to happen

• -UnityEvents have also been added to the Controls class so you can customize simple input controls without having to code (as much). The new BawlPhysicsInput component contains an array of preset Controls which isn't required, you can make your own input script if you want.

Changed

• -Renamed the Swing ability to Grapple

• -Abilities can now be started/stopped using StartAbility, FinishAbility,CancelAbility and their other variations (different abilities may have overloaded parameters)

• -Input, effects and audio have been seperated from the AbilityBase component and placed into their own components for easier customization (Bawl Physics Input, Bawl Physics Sound Controller and Bawl Physics Effects)

• -Common surface detection for the ball has been consolidated into a single component (Bawl Physics Surface Detection) that abilities can take advantage of. Simply put, it stores the average surface normal. The component will also fire an event when the value has been set so you can hook functions into it thanks to UnityEvents.

32. rafeu

rafeu

I have recently brought your asset for making a swinging game

but after looking your asset content I saw about 20 scripts so I don't know which scripts to place on my player and which on my environment to make it possible to grapple everywhere.

Sorry my english isn't that great.

GibTreaty likes this.
  33. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Thanks for the feedback!

After you put the Grapple ability on the player you will first need to set the Max Grapple Targets. Bawl Physics comes with two different grappling methods out-of-the-box (but you can make your own if you want). I call them Grapple Modules.

• FindGrapplePoint - This will search for nearby GameObjects that have a GrapplePoint component on them and store the nearest one. When it changes, the On Change Grapple Point UnityEvent will fire. In the Bawl Physics Level I call the FindGrapplePoint.SelectGrappleWithGrapplePoint(int) function via the Bawl Physics Input component (in the "Grapple - Grapple Point" and "Grapple - Grapple Point 2" inputs). The int parameter of that function determines which grapple will be used by the Grapple ability.
    • RaycastGrapplePoint - This will send out a raycast every frame. You can call RaycastGrapplePoint.StartGrapple() to start grappling where it hit. Note: I had made this component before adding in the multi-grappling functionality so I forgot to add in a parameter for a grapple point index. It should be simple enough to add though. Just put int grapplePointIndex = 0 as the parameter and use grapplePointIndex as the last parameter in the Grapple.StartAbility function that gets called.
    Both of those grapple modules will start the Grapple ability automatically when you set the grapple target using the module. To stop grappling you can use Grapple.StopGrapple(), ClearTarget(int), ClearTargets(), FinishAbility(), or CancelAbility().

Bawl Physics Input component -

When it comes to visualization though, you'll most likely want to create your own script for handling that. It's really simple, just hook into the On Start Ability, On Finish Ability, and On Cancel Ability UnityEvents and create/destroy the effects that way. You can take a look in the Bawl Physics Effects script to find out what I did to create and destroy them.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

34. lukamas233

lukamas233

Hi i was wondering, Is there a way i can change the sphere to a third person character, and disable rolling.

35. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Why would you want to do such a thing? Sure you can do it but I don't completely understand why. Were you just wanting to, for example, take advantage of the grappling scripts for something other than the ball because that should be completely doable.

36. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

My Grapple and Magnet ability do not work in my demo sceen.
    Purchased this asset two days ago and cannot figure out why.
    Imported dozen times in new projects with the same results.
    The latest version of unity and the 5.1.0 versions yield the same problem.
    What version of UNITY do I need? What INPUT settings should I fix?
    Do I need and update?

Thanks
    T

37. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

The ball turns BLUE when the V key is pressed to activate the magnet, but I do not stick to anything.

No grapple ability with mouse buttons. I will try changing the input to Q and E later on today...

...just too frustrated to continue..
    Time for turkey anyway....

38. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

The package works fine for me in 5.1.3f1.

In the scene that comes with Bawl Physics there's a tower with rotating segments. The glowing parts are what you can stick to. What it magnetizes to depends on layer of the colliders that you are trying to collide with. You can set the layers that you magnetize with in the Magnet ability's inspector.
    24fff20983.png

There are many different ways to set up grappling and for the Bawl Physics scene I decided to limit the grappling to only allow you to grapple to specific grapple points indicated by the icons/sprites on the metal trees. They will show
    d4b59483e5.png

Another indicator will show up over the icons letting you know that you can grapple to it and the crosshair will turn green.
    56d75f2819.png

Of course the grappling mechanics can be customized too. I tried to keep it as simple as I could while still having some flexibility to customize it how you want. I attempted to explain in a previous post above...
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/bawl-physics-v2-0.80548/page-2#post-2259688

39. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

I must have been food deprived, I noticed that layers and grapple points were my issue.
    Actually loved the way that the grapple will just cling to ANYTHING in the 1.0 version.
    Can you double layer a mesh? or maybe I should script two layers onto one?

Thanks for the help. It works now !!

GibTreaty likes this.
  40. TymNetwork

TymNetwork

Forgot to say,
    You are a genius, no one has the grapple physics down like you for such a perfect cost for indie developers.

You get credit in anything I use it for. From just demo videos, webplayer demos, to any game I make with it.
    Cheers, Thanks,giving.!

T

GibTreaty likes this.
  41. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

If you want, you can always create your own script to find and set grapple points that doesn't require layers at all. In script you can call the grapple script's SetTarget(..) function and include the grapple point's transform and optionally specify which part of that transform you want to attach to.

TymNetwork likes this.
  42. lukamas233

lukamas233

I was also wondering how, do you disable the grapple points so you can grapple to any object that has a box collider.

43. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

It depends on if you're wanting to only be able to raycast grapple to Box Collider objects or use them as grapple points but ignore their collider.

44. lukamas233

lukamas233

I'm wanting to use them as grapple points.

45. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

If the grapple ability has the FindGrapplePoint component/module on the object setup like the one in the scene then you should just be able to put a GrapplePoint component onto the objects that you want to be a grapple point.

46. simplicitydown

simplicitydown

Hi there! I just purchased your asset off the store and had a few questions. Hopefully I just installed it wrong or something because I am getting a few weird glitches.
    For one, when clicking 'spawn point,' and selecting '2d,' the screen goes mostly black and glitchy, although in the trailer for the app it appears to work.
    Secondly I really don't like how the camera works (I noticed that in your game you changed it to be a fixed angle from the side yourself) so I attached just a new basic top-down camera childed to the player, but this disables the grappling hook mechanism (the grappling hook must somehow be tied to the original camera rig?). Any suggestions on how to make the game use a more basic top-down camera (it doesn't need the script for staying away from walls for example if it is in the sky looking down at the player away from all walls) while still being able to use the grappling hook?
    Lastly, I saw there is some documentation for setting up the grappling hook in this forum, but I thought I might ask again, they are a little dated, and the weird thing is that for me by default the grappling hook does work out of the box, just not at all like it does in the trailer for the app. It will grab cast a ray at the point while the button is held and hold on to the player at a certain distance, but as soon as the player jumps the ray disappears. Hopefully my trackpad is just crappy or something but I cannot send a grapple out when the player is in the air. In the trailer we see the ball swinging off of the grapple points through the air one after the other all tarzan style and it looks amazing. Should I just dissect the resources above and try to figure it out or is there a deeper issue here? People would probably be much happier with the product and hassle you with much less questions if the asset worked out of the box the way it does in the trailer, at least with the key aspects you are highlighting like the grappling hook....
    I guess one last thing I noticed was when loading the magnet level, it is very dark, and again looks nothing like it does in the trailer....
    Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the work that has gone on here, if it worked like it did in the trailer it would be genius, and I am looking forward to rating it well on the asset store, but I thought it would be better to ask you here first.
    Hope that isn't too much information but maybe it will help. I can send you screenshots is necessary?

GibTreaty likes this.
  47. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I've opened up the project in 5.3 just now and wow, I see what you mean! It wasn't like this before. Clearing the lightmaps seems to help. You may have to restart Unity or go into play mode after you clear them to make the left over glitchiness go away.

The camera doesn't do anything Bawl Physics-specific. It's mainly just a camera rig that comes with Unity's standard assets with a second camera parented to it to render the grapple icons.

As intended. This is the Jump ability on the Bawl object. A lot of stuff has been done in the UnityEvents (like the one above) in the inspector and not through code so that you can customize it how you want.

Also the movement and ability user input is all done through the Bawl Physics Input component for the sake of trying to keep the example cleaner and hopefully easier to understand. It wasn't necessarily intended to use the Bawl Physics Input in a larger game, it was just for example although you still can if you want to.

Lastly you might be able to find out some useful things by going to Window>Bawl Physics Help. I opted to make a help window rather than a PDF so I could add info to it easier.

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

When I was about to build my game, I got this:
    "Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors"

And the only problem was this:

1. Assets/YounGen Tech/Scripts/UI/Joystick.cs(129,41): error CS0115: `UnityEngine.UI.Joystick.OnValidate()' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override

What should I do? :( If anyone knows, Thanks!

49. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I've fixed that error here.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/joystick.266727/#post-2659407
    Sorry I forgot to include the fix in the Joystick script in Bawl Physics too!

Edit: Submitted an update with the fixed script (and a few minor changes in the project). If you need the error fixed now then check out the thread in that link. It's a tiny change.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  50. maxaud

maxaud

Hello! Looks good. Do you have an updated webplayer since Dropbox doesn't allow playing anymore?