Search Unity

Batching Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ippokratis, Nov 28, 2011.

1. 3Duaun

3Duaun

the update comes packed with some great new functionality, thank you!!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hiya,

I am currently evaluating batching tools and it is becoming clear that Batching Tools is ideal for unity pro, and especially mobile users. I think Ippokratis (bless him) is useless at marketing! It is not made clear enough that this is useful regardless of project.

This is a fantastic tool for pro users as well as for artists streamlining their pipeline. Nobody really wants to mess about with custom atlases in the year 2012. Batching tools fixes this.

3. immFX

immFX

It was about time that someone would come up and say how useful this tool is for ANY project at hand.
    Personally, I think this is one among the 2-3 tools in the Asset Store that you can't live without.

Hehe, can't agree more!

4. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    Litobyte Softworks :
    Thanks for the feedback,
    The workflow you describe is ok with one little catch : In some cases you might select too much if you select the entire scene. If you do not mind, have a try at combining groups of objects instead. Depending on your vertex count and the platform, you can see a speed increase with 4-5 medium draw calls instead of 1 huge draw call. Try to combine objects that are near to each other, it takes one ( or two ) clicks anyway.
    I noticed that the license comparison you mention refers to the new features and it seems unlikely ( to me ) that lightmaps will be cut from the Basic - Free licenses but perhaps you could ask unity for more details.

zhx:
    Thanks for your kind words, I believe the next update will be even more interesting

hippocoder:
    Thanks for the feedback,
    It is great that you find Batching Tools useful for your work.

immFX:
    Thanks for your kind words
    Hehe, you was the first who told me that ! I try to keep away from the "grey" zones of marketing as possible but already three persons indicate that I should market this product better. I take seriously into consideration this suggestion, it will be the top priority after v1.5.

Thanks for your feedback,
    -Ippokratis

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  5. 3Duaun

3Duaun

the next release will be interesting huh, hmmm, might we be seeing some batching skinned mesh renderers soon ;-) ?

6. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi zhx,
    It was about time, right ;-) ?
    Yes, the main feature of the next release is to create a skinned mesh from some "plain" meshes. I plan to post some more details after Monday and some videos in the next two weeks.
    Thanks for the interest,
    -Ippokratis

7. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@Ippokratis
    great news, thanks for the sneak peak (of sorts) ;-)

Are there any plans to release any updates soon, that include the batching of meshes that are already skinned meshes, for example, meshes with animation rigs?

8. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

This is not possible as Skinned Mesh don't batch at all, reads: dynamic batching won't work on skinned mesh, even if their vertices count is <300 and they are scaled 1,1,1

The only way to have characters dynamically batching is to have no-bones tombraider1 hierarchy aimated characters under <300 vertices, or shape animation (each frame is a new mesh <300 ) and swap them at runtime.

another possible approach, could be use the Animation Api, to individually animate submeshes, where your skinned mesh contains all the characters (carefull to. graphic card bone number limit) to have just 1 draw call

9. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

ehmm..... have a look

if you think this is hijacking your thread Ippo, tell me and i will delete that link.

10. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

The point of Ippo's custom batching is to circumvent the limits of unity's built-in dynamic batching. You could absolutely stitch the skinned mesh renderers of an animated model, see the character customization project in the resources section of this site. If Ippo did something similar, but with his material combination/texture atlas stuff, we could bake the batching in the editor and reduce the draw calls of animated 3d models with multiple materials.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  11. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

this doesn't demonstrate I'm wrong. but about the multiple skinned in one possibility is true, and I did test this already myself. it works.
    I took that statement from official Unity Documents anyway. Skinned Mesh wont batch.

As I said, If you succeed to export a single fbx with 10 characters made of around 25-bones each and you use AnimationAPI, you can achieve NOT dynamic batching, but 10 animated skinned mesh characters with 1 draw call, which has nothing to do with Dynamic Batching.

Ippokratis, to be able to prevent when your static mesh will overpass the limit for being able to be REALLY batched into a single surface(max 65335 vertices) is just IMPOSSIBLE.

it would cut our workflow a part of many many hours, I prefer getting the risk of have some more draw calls in some situation, that make the bulding of a single level a question of days.
    but this is true I can confirm this.
    If your static ending mesh is. too comples and overpass the limit will give your one or more drawcalls more, even if the material, is still the same.

need to test more this approach as a possible solution fore more optimization

12. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Nobody said it would work with Unity's dynamic batching, why is why ippo repeatedly calls it "custom batching". I think your limiting the use of the word "batching" to only apply to Unity dynamic batching.

For instance, I have a .fbx character model with a single rig, but seperate meshes (skinned mesh renderers) and materials for the head, torso, legs, hands and feet. I would like to "batch" it in the editor to have a character with a single texture atlas and material, and a single skinned mesh render. I'm quite certain that's possible and what Ippo is working on for v1.4.

13. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    zhx:
    Sure, I just wish to perform more tests first. I try to publish a new update before February 26.
    I wish to implement the following : Allow the user to choose many meshes ( not skinned meshes ) with many materials and combine them into one skinned mesh with one material. In a painless way.

I am sorry, not yet. A very important factor is the number of bones that influence each vertex. My implementation is based on providing 1 bone per vertex. This has very good results for things that move and cannot be batched with unity dynamic batching due to their shader, vertex count, e.t.c. I see a performance increase after I batch them into a skinned mesh and I currently work on implementing an intuitive way of batching them.

Character animation for other things than mechanical objects ( e.g a tank ) or Lego - Playmobil characters, uses 2 or more bones per vertex. This narrows the potential benefit of batching a lot, since more than one bone per vertex results to a drastic decrease in performance for each added vertex. I.e if I try to batch 2 characters with bone weights > 2, depending on their vertex number, the benefit from batching is minimal at best ( on low poly characters ) and usually decreases the performance. Perhaps this is the reason that Unity does not support this kind of batching as a built-in mode. I still have to perform more tests though.

Litobyte Softworks :
    What you write is correct, except that zhx talks about a new, custom batching mode. The problem with one bone per vertex approach ( I think this is the unity terminology for what you describe as no bones Tomb Rider approach, but perhaps I am mistaken ) is that the mentioned approach gives rigid, non-good looking results. Other than that, for non-organic motion, is very good. So basically the idea is that I try to provide a new batching mode that will allow the user to create this ( more or less ) easily. I emphasize "easily", as this usually involves some good days ( one developer mentioned 2 weeks ) of 3d modelling, texturing and rigging. I try to implement a one ( or two ) clicks approach for the same results.

Schlumpfsack :
    Hi there ! Thanks ( again ) for the models you provided. Feel free to post any references to other products, it is not a problem. I am not aware of this product, I will have a look at it, thanks for mentioning it.

legend411:
    The results so far are not too promising ( see above ) but I still have to test more.

This is not planned for 1.4, sorry to disappoint you. But, after seeing the work of some animators, I concluded that :
    - It is possible ( trivial actually ) for the character creator - animator to create a character with one draw call. As long as its parts are not exchangeable as in your situation.
    - In your case, since draw calls matter, you could request the artist to "bake" each desired configuration into one skinned mesh ( e.g suppose you have a horse : one skinned mesh for the horse with armor, another skinned mesh for the horse without the armor that use the same rig ). Such functionality ( exchangeable parts ) is yet unexplored by me and I cannot promise that I will manage to implement it. You can be sure that I will try.

I had to travel again for some days, I am returning back to Athens by Friday. Due to this situation, perhaps you will notice a small delay to my answers. Thanks for your patience. If you need any clarifications, please ask, your feedback is welcome.
    -Ippokratis

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  14. TheCheese

TheCheese

Thanks for the great tool Ippo - this is going to save me a ton of time!

One feature that would save me even more time though is if the new mesh could simply replace the previous mesh instead of creating entirely new objects, leaving all my links in the editor intact :)

Besides that little request, it's a great tool!

15. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi chief1234,
    Thanks for your kind words,
    You are right, actually I am currently working on implementing this exact feature :)
    If you have any other feedback / suggestions, feel free to post them here,
    -Ippokratis

16. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Please make this optional !
    We find very good the way it behaves it now. With new prefabs in the BT folder.
    In this way we also have an History of the batched stuff, this way we can also RE-Bake a previously baked stuff, adding 1 new object !

Yes is not 1 bone per vertex I'm talking about, but about Hierarcic animation. No bones involved, but many pieces moving and translating accordingly a rigging done in Maya/Max/Whatever
    Is an old technique where bones where not there. (at that time you had Hierarcic animation or Shape animation) an example of Shape animation is the Quake2 Md2 format. No bones, and one shape per frame with interopolation.

But all this discussion is now out of topic as I have my first demo of 3 rigged characters making 1 single draw call and animating independently ! This was exactly what we were looking for.

Finally, 100-200 moving enemies on screen, making 10-20 draw call will be not a dream anymore. Yippie !
    We are also experimenting on single surface particles, perhaps we will release both the systems one day !

Expect a video or webplayer soon!

I posted a small demo scene, really quick&dirty bag me pardon,
    it shows how 3 characters (but also 10, the limit is the usual 65K vertices per mesh) can be jointed together (I didn't use BT, I did this with my graphic tool) to have a SINGLE drawcall for 3 skinned meshes.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/120009-Quick-amp-dirty-Unity3.5-crash-demo-(skinned-mesh)

Enjoy,

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  17. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@litobyte, I'm very interested in your Md2 style format, that would be soooo useful if it worked well.

18. crafTDev

crafTDev

Woah, Woah Woah! So Batching Tools won't be able to batch my rigged characters with bone weights of 2?

EDIT: Hmm...nevermind, my animations still work smoothly after I changed the bone quality to 1 bone....*shrug*

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  19. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    Litobyte Softworks :
    No need to worry, what you describe is what happens in the Project View while what I mentioned is what will happen in the Hierarchy view.
    The terminology kinda confuses me, I understand that one can have rigged characters via bones( also known as joints ) or use point clouds ( also known as morph targets ). The first approach ( bones ) is what is currently supported by Unity, the second was used in Quake.
    Also, thanks for sharing your findings, I answered you in the link you provided.

jjricky:
    If it degrades the performance of your application, I am sure that you do not wish it either :p

Batching is not done to lower draw calls but for lowering rendering times. If not used wisely, batching can make games slower. My first experiments on batching skinned meshes with more than one bone per vertex showed that it made the game slower. I have to perform more tests to be certain, but, if this is further confirmed, I will not provide a solution that makes games with fewer draw calls but slower just to sell some copies. When users ask for "fewer draw calls" they actually mean "faster rendering times". Sorry for over-explaining but I believe that "batching" is not clear to everyone, I took the chance to analyze it a little.

Thanks a lot for your feedback,
    -Ippokratis

20. Dreeka

Dreeka

I have to recommend this great tool to everyone! It has helped me a lot in optimization.

21. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    Thanks for your kind words, I am happy you found it useful in your project.
    If you have any suggestions - other feedback, feel free to report,
    -Ippokratis

22. crafTDev

crafTDev

Ippo, so just changing the bone weights quality to 1 in Unity is all I need to do for the v1.4 batching to work right?

23. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi jrricky,
    Would you like to describe what you wish to achieve ? Are you trying to combine some rigged characters into one draw call or something else ?
    Thanks,
    -Ippokratis

24. crafTDev

crafTDev

To achieve the toon shaded outline style I have going for my app I had to duplicate my model, flip it's normals, texture it black and bind its skin to the bones to animate with character. So after I bring it in Unity, instead of that being 1 draw call, it's 2 (which to me is not really worth it but I'm using that way for now). So I was hoping batching tools would help me in that department, and I just reduced the bone weights quality to 1 in preparation for this tool.

Of course, I have also multiple enemies causing too many drawcalls when on screen to so, yea...

25. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi jrricky,
    It seems that you could achieve the desired result in your modelling app, by baking both textures into one texture map and combining the meshes for the main character. This specific task that you wish to accomplish is not going to be solved with Batching Tools v1.4, instead this is going to be a version that will allow to create a skinned mesh with one combined material from many simple meshes with many materials. The difference between what you try to achieve and what I try to provide in v1.4 is that you try to combine multiple skinned meshes into one skinned mesh, not multiple "simple" meshes. I definitively wish to provide such functionality at some point, it could appear as a feature in v1.5 or v1.6. I will happily share more details on v1.4 by the end of this week, once I decide what stays and what not ( based in the achieved stability ). If you have other questions or suggestions, feel free to share them here,
    -Ippokratis

26. crafTDev

crafTDev

Omg, I feel completely stupid and embarrassed for not doing/thinking combine the outline mesh with the main one instead of having them separate and my proficiency is 3D modeling... Thanks for that, this will help considerably!! Though I will still look forward to what I'm asking for in reducing more drawcalls! :)

I will buy batching tools as soon as I get back to my computer!! :)

27. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi jjricky,
    I believe that through discussion, everybody wins. Even though I might not be able to provide every feature that people suggest, discussing about Batching Tools helps me a lot to shape this product. Therefore, regardless if someone purchases it or not, simply discussing about it helps me a lot. I am glad I could help you and I assure you that you have helped me too, considerably.
    Best luck with your project,
    -Ippokratis

28. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    Just a quick update : Batching Tools v1.4 is approaching ( 1 - 2 weeks ) so I guess it is a good moment to explain what it brings and why it might be useful.

The main feature is the creation of a skinned mesh with one material ( hence one draw call ) out of many simple meshes with one material each. This is described as BTDynamic, a custom baatching mode for dynamic models aka - objects that move. It is going to be useful in these situations where Unity dynamic batching cannot batch your models due to the shader they use or due to the >300 vertices count.

Some common scenarios where it might be useful :
    - Shooters : Projectiles ( bullets ), power-ups, shields in one draw call. Swarms of enemies in one draw call.
    - Platforms : A chest that opens and emits collectable items in one draw call.
    - Board / Strategy Games : Multiple moving pieces in one draw call.
    - Custom particle systems.
    - Custom GUIs.

I believe that this feature could make a difference, on every platform but especially on mobile platforms, where resources are limited, it can make a game playable. To achieve similar results, one should combine the meshes in a 3d modelling application, assign a bone to each mesh, create a texture atlas from their textures and export the fbx in Unity for further tweaking, depending on the materials used. It takes some time to perform these steps and v1.4 can reduce this time to seconds.

When v1.4 will be released, the pricing will change to 30$ from the current 25$.

No support for characters rigging / interchangeable character parts is planned for this version.
    If you have any questions - suggestions, please post them here or send me a pm.
    Thanks for your time,
    -Ippokratis

29. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

For 25$ i'm Sure to get myself a copy!

Ow, and ;while you're at it, why don't you make a Occlusion Culling system as well? :p Us free users could certainly use a good one, just like static batching :)

30. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi ThomasQ,
    The price is relevant, most important though is to understand how you can maximize your profit from this product. Have a look at the manual and the tutorials, also feel free to post feedback - more suggestions.
    Occlusion Culling is not in my plans, but M2H has a project that implements it, you can have a look at it. LOD is also another thing you might wish to consider. Also, Unity Pro users can use Occlusion Culling and static batching along with Batching Tools produced meshes, for further speed increase.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I also wish to post some thoughts here, regarding fellow Indie developers. Batching Tools can help every indie developer or studio to achieve faster development times regarding rendering optimization. For Indies though, a project's complexity is the major factor for not finishing a project. Hundreds of game items, character rigs, AAA - assets look appealing but their cost if done right is really high. Leaving Batching Tools discussion aside, I believe that many of the people who read this thread and are in a budget ( say, less than 100000$ for creating a game ) could perhaps share some thoughts on this matter. The above is just my personal view that I wish to share, you could perhaps post your thoughts on this matter here :
    -Ippokratis

31. markhula

markhula

Hi
    I am thinking about getting this but want to check its what I need
    Currently for an iOS game I have a high draw call rate of around 40
    Most of my objects are built from re useable blocks like Lego; so I can build a variety of buildings from some simple blocks
    This method reduces ram and textures and allows many scenes :)
    Does this batch tool allow me for example to select 10 prefabs and then combine mesh/textures into effectively 1 draw call ?
    So I can go through my objects and for example put all the forest level objects into 1 texture ? - can I limit the resulting texture outputted so it works on other platforms ?

Your help appreciated

32. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi markhula,
    Thanks for your interest in Batching Tools,
    It depends, I mention all the requirements in the manual in the first post but I 'll try to sum it up here :
    -what you batch should share the same shader ( 16 supported )
    -models uv should be within 0-1 range and non-overlapping
    -materials should use only tilling = 1 and offset = 0.

You can combine a level's geometry into one mesh but it is not always a good move since performance depends not only on the number of the draw calls. If something of the above is not clear, please ask me for clarifications.

In essence, this tool automates the work you would do to combine some meshes manually and every limitation you see listed above is the same with the limitations you would have if you tried to do it manually. Plus the shaders part ( custom shaders included eg for Diffuse ).
    I suggest to take your time and have a look at the manual, the video tutorials, the posts, the reviews, ask questions if you have any before you decide.
    -Ippokratis

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  33. markhula

markhula

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
    Well, I *think* it will be fine for my task.
    But I am confused over 1 thing.
    As I said I have many scenes all built from 'blocks' that are re-used.
    Rather than go through each scene combining meshes could I create 1 scene import all the meshes I want batched. Batch them. And they will be used as batched prefabs in all the other scenes? <if that makes sense>

Cheers

34. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi markhula,
    If you are not certain about something, please ask. Since this tool addresses a subject that touches both artists and programmers, it is common that everything is not clear to everybody ( actually, a lot of things are getting clear for me too as I develop this tool, thanks to user's feedback ).

Lets say that u use a floor, 4 walls and a roof. Now you have a house with 6 draw calls. You can combine those 6 gameObjects and you get one draw call. Also, you can reuse this asset ( since it is saved as a gameObject ) in other scenes. Now say you wish to create an urban environment. You can create 6 types of houses ( using different "modules" that otherwise would cost you 6x6 = 36 draw calls ) and reuse the houses to create a small neighborhood. Say you now have 20 houses. You can further combine them based on their proximity in 4 "house groups". Now you have 4 draw calls instead of 120 ( 20x6 ).

But again, it depends. Suppose you have respected the limitations for batching, i.e
    -what you batch shares the same shader ( 16 supported )
    -models uv are within 0-1 range and non-overlapping
    -materials use only tilling = 1 and offset = 0.

After that, there are other limitations as well ( they are Unity and common sense limitations but I will mention them anyway ).

- a mesh can contain less than 65000 vertices. So, the vertices of the items you wish to combine cannot exceed this number.
    - a texture has a maximum resolution of 4096x4096 pixels for desktop, 2048x2048 for mobile. If su of the dimensions of the textures you wish to combine are exceeding this number, the textures will be scaled down, with a loss of visual quality.
    - For each platform, there is a "good number" of vertices per object, especially for mobile. It is better to have say 4 groups of houses in 1 big mesh each instead of 1 entire level in a huge mesh. This requires profiling against your target platform.

Again, the thing to remember is that Batching Tools exist as a tool to save you time ( days, weeks ), it has the same limitations as the manual approach. There is nothing magical about them ( my marketing skills rock again ), they just help you to save development time, to optimize a game by lowering rendering times, to combine meshes, create texture maps, save textures and meshes with a click or two. If you have some experience in doing those tasks, Batching Tools can be really helpful. If you are starting out learning these concepts, you still have to read, ask and pay to learn - take advantage of them ( in any order your time and cash permits ).

I will be happy to answer any other questions you have. Also, if you wish some help with optimizing the rendering times of a level of your game, feel free to pm me about the project details and pricing.
    Thanks for the feedback,
    -Ippokratis

35. markhula

markhula

Hi,
    Again appreciate your detailed reply.
    Oh yes, I realise an artist could combine meshes and texture's to save on draw calls etc.
    But that's a lot of work!! - I believe this tool will save time and reduce draw calls ; which is my aim - I am a programmer not an artist :)) (though I wish I was sometimes! lol).
    I understand the requirements and appreciate it's quite specialist and has to respect the 'other' (i.e. out of your control - unity restrictions).
    Can I purchase via paypal or must I go via the asset store - as I would like to be kept upto date with enhancements.
    Thanks again - it sounds like a great app; and I shall report back my findings :)

Cheers

36. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    I prefer to use the Asset store, it is more convinient for me ( legal cover, refunds, updates etc ). If you decide to purchase and wish to have access to beta versions, just pm me, I wish to have as many beta testers as possible.

I only have a small suggestion, since you mention that you are a programmer mainly : Please use a 3d modeling app to make sure that the models you have respect the limitations, or ask a fellow modeler to do so. You can get away with uv overlapping if you are not using light maps and normal maps, but if your uv are out the 0-1 range, ugly artifacts occur ( there is a paper from Nvidia about this, if you are curious on the mechanism ).

Thanks for the interest,
    -Ippokratis

37. markhula

markhula

Thanks,
    To be honest I struggle to say the least with Blender!!.
    So I create basic cubes and sphere's with no uv map - once I have something more 'show able' I intend to have an artist do all the hard work :)))
    Again appreciate your replies and help, will purchase later today! :)

Cheers

38. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

39. markhula

markhula

Hi,

I have purchased and am just testing.
    It seems to work as I thought; but my new combined objects are always black even though I can see the combined texture and that is assigned to them; I have obviously done something wrong!!! ;-)

Cheers

40. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    Congrats for choosing Batching Tools ! What you report is very odd.
    Perhaps you could send me a minimal project with two scenes, one before and another after you combined the gameObjects, that reproduces the issue you are having. I did not have similar issues reported so far and I could not reproduce the mentioned errors locally. My e-mail is ippobour at gmail com, I am curious to see what causes this issue.
    [Edit]
    Due to the nature of Batching Tools, describing a problem is not enough to provide a solution. If anybody is having problems, the only way I can really help is the method described above.
    Could this be due to a lighting issue perhaps ? I would really appreciate since you have reported a problem if you could also report if you solved it, or to provide me with the necessary assets to try to solve it locally.

Thanks for the feedback,
    -Ippokratis

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  41. markhula

markhula

Sometimes I hate Unity.
    Now when I run your package errors in batch tools.js line 39
    The name 'originalObjects' does not denote a valid type ('not found') (BCE0018)
    I tried deleting and reimporting :-(((

Any ideas?

Cheers

42. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi markhula,
    Yes, I believe that you have accidentally deleted or modified some files. If you wish to reimport Batching Tools, please delete first the folder called Batching Tools in your project. This ensures that any modified scripts will be erased. Afterwards reimport the unity package. If you perform these steps and you get errors, the only thing that I can think of is that something is broken with your unity project. Sometimes it happens when you leave your computer open for days. To see if this is the case, please try to save your work, quit unity and restart it. If this fails too, try to restart your computer. Another possible explanation is that you are using a beta or RC version of unity, both known as not so stable. The reason I believe the problem you describe lies in a corrupted Batching Tools install or in unity editor is that in your machine, you did not had this problem when you first tried Batching Tools. If you have no results, please report the steps you took in detail do I can help you more.

I would appreciate it a lot if you could report back what happened with the issue you previously reported too, the " black gameObjects " issue. If this problem persists, please send a project as I asked you before. If it is solved, please let me know what you have done to solve it. It is something no other customer reported so far.

It seems that you have the less pleasant experience with Batching Tools so far from the 28 people who bought it. I will try my best to help you as possible but it is really important to have your feedback, as detailed as possible. I am looking forward for your feedback,
    -Ippokratis

43. wightwhale

wightwhale

Any chance for toon shader support? Since that is what most of my game is using.

44. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi wightwhale,
    Thanks for the interest,
    I am afraid that the only Toon shaders that could be supported are the Toon/Lighted, Toon/Lighted Outline. By "could" I mean that it is possible to add them in a future version, since technically their material properties could be combined. Toon Basic and Toon Basic outline cannot be supported because they use cubemaps ( I do not figure out how to combine those ). Stay tuned, I will investigate this further next week, right now I try to finish the beta of Batching Tools v1.4
    BTW, if someone who already purchased Batching Tools wishes to participate in the beta, please send me a pm. I try to finish it before next Monday.
    Thanks for your support,
    -Ippokratis

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  45. markhula

markhula

Hi,

Rebooted, and re-installed still no joy :-(
    I am running Unity 3.5.0f2 developer preview; so for now will have to assume that's the issue and wait for the public release of 3.5 and then I will re-try. I had to use 3.5 because I had other issues not batch tools related - good isn't it; fix one thing, break another :)

Cheers

46. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    I am a little confused, since I cannot find the 3.5.0f2 in http://unity3d.com/unity/preview/download ( The link says http://netstorage.unity3d.com/unity/unity-3.5.0f1.dmg ). I am downloading 3.5.0f1 now to test it. I am curious, since me and others have tested against 3.5 beta without problems.
    I would appreciate if you can provide more information about the exact erratic behavior you receive after you rebooted, and re-installed.
    I would also appreciate if you could report back what happened with the issue you previously reported too, the " black gameObjects " issue.
    If you would like to discuss live about the issues you are having, feel free to contact me over Skype as ippobour or search for Ippokratis Bournellis ( my name actually ). I will post again in some hours to let you know my findings regarding 3.5.0f1
    Thanks,
    -Ippokratis

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  47. markhula

markhula

Oops sorry I meant 3.5.0f1 !!! typo!.
    Can't report on the 'black' object issues because as soon as I import the package the errors occurs - there's nothing I can do to continue except remove the package for now.

Cheers

48. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi markhula,
    I am afraid that something is broken at your unity install and I do not think it is Batching Tools - related. The reason for this is that I have performed many tests with 3.5.0f1 and I have encountered no problems at all. I really do not think that the problems you are having are related to Batching Tools. This opinion is further augmented by :
    Perhaps you could consider re-installing unity 3.4.2 or 3.5.0f1 ( not in order to have Batching Tools work, but in order to have a working unity install ).
    I do not wish you to deduce that I do not wish to help you or that I try to blame unity - the contrary. I just share with you my honest point of view. If you wish to share any additional information regarding the problems you are having ( the exact error messages you get when you are trying to do a new import of Batching Tools ) it would be great. I would like to let me know if the problem is solved or if it persists, in case you decide to re-install unity.
    Thanks for your feedback and I hope your issues will be addressed soon ( next version of Unity comes soon btw ),
    -Ippokratis

49. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello Ippo,

I finally bought this! :)

I tried to use a couple of my custom shaders but they wouldn't work. Could you help?

Also, I am creating a building block system (just like the user above), so after batching tools creates the batched materials and put them in groups, I take my individual tiles out of the group (which breaks the prefab) so I can begin 'tiling' and duplicating each. What I am trying to get at is, after I finish building my level from the parts, will I be able to static batch?

50. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi jjricky,
    I am glad you decided !
    Sure, as long as you are ok with the terms . If you decide it, I will be glad to implement this.
    Yes, you can use both unity static batching and BTStatic in this case, or either solution.
    If you have any troubles - questions, I will be happy to help,
    -Ippokratis