Search Unity

Batching particlesystems

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by ElysianOne, Dec 18, 2018.

1. ElysianOne

ElysianOne

Hey all,

I'm working on a little program to generate stars. Each star is instantiated at runtime and is comprised of a single-particle particlesystem. Currently, I have just four different types of stars, each with their own material.

For some reason, my batch counts go sky high whenever I run the program, and it seems as though the particlesystems aren't batching at all. Every new star creates a new batch, quickly reaching the 1000s. Obviously this is a nightmare for performance, any idea why the particlesystems aren't batching dynamically?

upload_2018-12-18_16-54-52.png

Thanks for your time!

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Why don't you draw all stars of the same material with just one ParticleSystem? It should be more efficient, performance any memory wise, than having a gazillion unique particle system instances.

The ParticleSystem API allows you to emit a star at a specific position. Rather than instantiating a star, you would emit that one with ParticleSystem.Emit:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/ParticleSystem.Emit.html

karl_jones and richardkettlewell like this.
  3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

FWIW, if the systems use the same material, they should batch, but as Peter suggests, you would be far smarter to put all stars into one particle system.

Even if batching was working, this is a very inefficient setup. You will see far better memory usage and performance by using only 1 system.

Peter77 likes this.