Search Unity

Basic to Advanced Car or Vehicle Tutorial

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by bigmisterb, Apr 22, 2011.

1. lukewilliams

lukewilliams

For those struggling with the first tutorial, namely wheels going through the floor, you need to set the wheels differently to how he does it in the tutorial. the problem is that the wheels are set to rotation 0,0,90, and as soon as you rotate the wheel collider it stops working. So you need to figure out how to set the wheels to the right size without having them rotated 90 degrees. Then the wheel collider will be facing the right way and the wheels will stop at the ground :)

2. MattBee

MattBee

You haven't used an array so just assign the wheel colliders from the hierarchy to the script when it's attached to your car then "GetCollider" would just be the name of the variable you have chosen which is "FrontLeft" "FrontRight "RearLeft" "RearRight"

3. sluice

sluice

Stucked at part1.

The car is also flying (and flipping in the air) for me as soon as I press up/down.

What could cause that?

4. BestUnity

BestUnity

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  5. ViFFeX360

ViFFeX360

The codes that were said to be up to date on the site, aren't there anymore :/

Is there anyone that still has the codes -with- explanation? I don't want a finished package, I just want to learn how it works to have a good car physics model, and no one can or wants to help on that aspect :/

6. Unity Ninja

Unity Ninja

I can see this is a very old post but can I get the updated codes now? All the links here seem to be dead.

Ali_V_Quest likes this.
  7. deadshot

deadshot

how can i change the textures of the different surfaces i.e.doors,hoods,bumpers etc on the click of a gui button.
    i can do this by keypress event or i can change the color of single surface but not the whole car .
    CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO O IT OR WRITE THE SCRIPT.

8. fxnut

fxnut

To get the wheels to work, get rid of the 90 degree rotation on the spheres and change their scale to <0.0333, 1, 0.2>.

Here's an updated script that seems to work for me. Once it compiles okay, you just need to drag and drop the correct wheels into the appropriate CarController script's wheel slots.

Cheers,
    Andy

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. //CarController1.js
    7. public class CarController : MonoBehaviour {
    9.     public float enginePower = 150.0f;
    10.     public float power = 0.0f;
    11.     public float brake = 0.0f;
    12.     public float steer = 0.0f;
    13.     public float maxSteer = 25.0f;
    14.     public WheelCollider FrontLeft;
    15.     public WheelCollider FrontRight;
    16.     public WheelCollider RearLeft;
    17.     public WheelCollider RearRight;
    19.     void Start()
    20.     {
    21.         rigidbody.centerOfMass=new Vector3(0f,-0.5f,0.3f);
    22.     }
    24.     void Update ()
    25.     {
    26.         power=Input.GetAxis("Vertical") * enginePower * Time.deltaTime * 250.0f;
    27.         steer=Input.GetAxis("Horizontal") * maxSteer;
    28.         brake=Input.GetKey("space") ? rigidbody.mass * 0.1f: 0.0f;
    30.         FrontLeft.steerAngle=steer;
    31.         FrontRight.steerAngle=steer;
    33.         if(brake > 0.0)
    34.         {
    35.             FrontLeft.brakeTorque=brake;
    36.             FrontRight.brakeTorque=brake;
    37.             RearLeft.brakeTorque=brake;
    38.             RearRight.brakeTorque=brake;
    39.             RearLeft.motorTorque=0.0f;
    40.             RearRight.motorTorque=0.0f;
    41.         }
    42.         else
    43.         {
    44.             FrontLeft.brakeTorque=0;
    45.             FrontRight.brakeTorque=0;
    46.             RearLeft.brakeTorque=0;
    47.             RearRight.brakeTorque=0;
    48.             RearLeft.motorTorque=power;
    49.             RearRight.motorTorque=power;
    50.         }
    51.     }
    53. }

9. AshTheTash

AshTheTash

Hey, I followed the tutorial excitedly to the end, when I got to the "Add the code to make it all work
    " section, unity unexpectedly crashed. It hadn't even saved. Would you be able to give me the project file for just the starting tutorial so I can actually see it?

Cheers,
    Ash

10. andrespsm

andrespsm

Hallo Guys,I have a problem from creating an script..I neaded a script for vehicle and a weels but an a litle time for these..I neaded a simple script for these. thanks,

11. Figster

Figster

Will this work on two wheeled vehicles?

12. tbm007

tbm007

Thanks for the great tutorial - and lots of attention to detail! I've followed the initial steps, built a basic box with four wheels, but no matter how I tweak the parameters (e.g. engine power etc) the car moves like molasses.. very slow. What might I be doing wrong?

Also, after implementing the fixes for the wheel colliders sinking into the ground, the car is no longer stable. As soon as it hits the ground it leans either to the left (always to the left, never the right) or forward. The wheels are set up with identical values except for positioning so I don't think it's anything to do with how their colliders are configured. Again, any ideas would be helpful.

I'm a unity noob, if that wasn't obvious - so it's highly likely I'm doing something daft even though I've tried to follow the tutorial pretty much precisely.

13. Metalhawk93

Metalhawk93

say, I'm working on making a racing game right, but the graphics I want to use for my character are basically 2D sprites. Now I was wondering how I should set up my player. would it possibly work the same way if set up like a 3d model, or would I have to make some modifications?
    how I have my character set right now is that it's a parent attached with a box collider and a rigidbody with kinematic turned on, with a camera facing the character in a 3rd person perspective, the graphics, plus an empty name mark as children. I've yet to create a proper script for it as of yet, so I was wonder what ideas you guys might have.

14. Tango91

Tango91

I've finished the first part of this excellent tutorial, but the required assets for the rest of the tutorials aren't available at the specified links. Any mirrors?

15. baileyjohnston213

baileyjohnston213

it doesn't seem to work ive tried everything

16. lulutube14

lulutube14

I tried all of the links, but they are scam links that makes it look like you have like a million virusus.

17. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Please don't post useless followups to 10-year-old threads. It's actually against forum rules and regulations.

If you have a question yourself, make a new post... it's FREE!

When you post, keep this in mind: How to report your problem productively in the Unity3D forums:

http://plbm.com/?p=220

How to understand compiler and other errors and even fix them yourself:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/ass...3-syntax-error-expected.1039702/#post-6730855

If you post a code snippet, ALWAYS USE CODE TAGS:

How to use code tags: https://forum.unity.com/threads/using-code-tags-properly.143875/