Search Unity

Basic question about CCU

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Kurius, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Kurius

Kurius

Sorry folks I'm still learning about networked games. If I'm allotted 4 CCUs does that mean I can have unlimited instances of 4 player games running? Or does that mean that I can only have a single instance of a 4 player game running?
    Thanks

2. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

I guess it can be open to interpretation by the service provider. For PUN the CCU is calculated per game ID, so is the sum of all players playing instances of that game ID.

For Unity, as I recall, it is the sum of the max CCU of all instances of all games using the service on your account.

I don't know about other services, not having used them myself.

3. Kurius

Kurius

Sorry I should have mentioned I'm specifically referring to Unity Services. According to this, Unity Personal edition only allows 20 CCUs. I hope that doesn't mean that across all instances of my game, only 20 players can play. Instead I'm hoping it means I can create a 20 player game, and have multiple instances of that 20 player game running simultaneously.
    https://unity3d.com/unity/features/multiplayer

4. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

It's even worse than you feared, it's 20 players across all games on your account that use Unity networking.

5. Kurius

Kurius

That's just crazy! So a Unity Pro user with several games published (using networking service) can only have 200 simultaneous customers?!

I read in this other article that we can request to be charged per GB of traffic. I've PMd user @richard-lee as per that article but have not received a response. Is there any other way to establish being charged per GB instead of CCU?
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-multiplayer-launch-faq-march-2016.392474/

6. TwoTen

TwoTen

CCU is only for development. Production games have no CCU, they pay per GB. You do this by ”going live”. Unity is just being nice giving you stuff for free.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Joe-Censored and Kurius like this.
  7. Kurius

Kurius

@TwoTen does that hold true for Unity Personal edition as well? Or only Unity Pro?

8. TwoTen

TwoTen

Both of them. 20 CCU for development then you pay for the gig.

Kurius likes this.
  9. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Unless it's changed since I last checked, you can't 'go live' with a Unity Personal Edition account.

10. TwoTen

TwoTen

Source? It could be done last time I used the services.

11. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

The source was me trying to do it myself, at that time a pro subscription was required to go live.

I haven't checked in a while so it sounds like they've changed that restriction now then.