Search Unity

Basic Help please

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Yiago, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Yiago

Yiago

Hello,

I am struggling probably more with just not understanding the first concept in my project as a brand new Unity user. I have searched Google, these forums and watched a ton of videos. Here is my issue or item that I need help with and once I have this I know it will get me past my first hurdle and then I will be able to jump in and just start the old fashion methods of trial and error.

So I am asking for help please, pretty please...Can someone or the group here guide me with the following:

• Create a Hex map for a board game
      • I don't understand if I do this purely in Unity or create a tile set and import it, I am confused
    • Create two block figures
      • To represent the advisaries of the board game
    • Ensure that the block figures go onto the board and can't go below it

Once I have this understood the rest of my frustrations and lack of hope of ever getting past the first step will be gone and then I can dive in and explore all the rest of the challenges of developing a siple one-on-one board game for prototyping.

Again thank you all in advance, I really appreciate any and all advice and help!

p.s. I am not a real programer but have basic hobyist knowledge and a long time Computer guy so I know much of the language just not the really advanced stuff.

Sincerely,
    Yiago
    Yiggy
    Tiimmaayy
    Tim

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I think I'd create the hex map board using Unity scripting. You'll need to read up on the Mesh API to do this.

Block figures I'd probably have designed in a 3d modelling app, and have them imported into Unity.

Every frame, so inside Update() check the positioning of the blocks, and if they are below the map, raise them.

3. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator