Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Basic build issue ("Platform assembly not found")

Discussion in 'VR' started by Rdubb, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Rdubb

Rdubb

I am fairly confident that I have successfully installed everything necessary, as outlined on Microsoft's Install the Tools Page. However, after creating a simple test project (camera looking at a cube), all attempts to build a VS solution result in the console message:

UnityException: Platform assembly not found.
    Make sure Visual Studio 2015 is installed.
    PostProcessWinRT.CheckSDK () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/WinRT/SharedSources/CSharp/PostProcessWinRT.cs:180)
    PostProcessWinRT.Process () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/WinRT/SharedSources/CSharp/PostProcessWinRT.cs:108)
    UnityEditor.Metro.BuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/ExtensionModule.cs:130)
    UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, Int32 width, Int32 height, System.String downloadWebplayerUrl, System.String manualDownloadWebplayerUrl, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.BuildReporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:176)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

A solution file is created but, when opened in VS, there does not seem to be much going on. I have none of the expected emulation options in the command bar:
    upload_2016-7-28_14-52-37.png
    So I am unable to actually launch the emulator.

I have tried reinstalling both the Hololens emulator, and Unity (5.4.0f1-HTP), as well as running a full Repair on VS 2015. Nothing seems to help the situation.

Can anyone suggest what I might have missed here?

2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Do you have the windows holographic SDK selected in the player settings, and which file are you opening after you build? Can you send a screen shot of how you are building?

Thank you,
    Wesley

3. Rdubb

Rdubb

Hi there,

I do have the Windows Holographic SDK selected:
    upload_2016-7-28_15-35-53.png

My Build settings look like this:
    upload_2016-7-28_15-36-41.png

Once it's built, I am opening the VS solution file that is created 1 level above the folder I specified.
    upload_2016-7-28_15-39-52.png
    Let me know if you need any further info.

Attached Files:

4. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  5. Rdubb

Rdubb

I already tried repairing before my original post and, unfortunately, reinstalling both VS and the SDK did not seem to help.

As an aside, when I build the solution in unity, what should I expect the contents of the specified folder to look like? I have the VS solution file in the expected spot, but I am not sure what (if anything) should show up in the folder along with it?

6. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Please read the posts on this forum

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/new-build-htp-build-version-5-4-0f1-htp-is-now-live.418134/

Another heads up, I decided to reinstall everything from scratch and it looks like Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 SDK (10.0.10586) which isn't compatible with Unity HoloLens 5.4.0f1-HTP(64-bit). When I go to build a project, I get the following, and an empty directory as a result.

When running the Visual Studio Installer again, I see that there is an option to install 10.0.10240, which people were having to install when encountering this issue in the 5.2.3p3 and 5.3.1f1 until the fix was released. More on that here.

Upon Installing the Windows 10 SDK (10.0.10240), the build completed, but now get the following warning.

Thank you,
    Wesley

7. ScottF

ScottF

Vice President, Platforms

Can you verify you UWP SDK folders here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include

You should have a subfolder like:

If you do not, re-run the VS2015 installer and make sure to check 'Universal Windows App Development Tools' and everything under it.

If you do have this folder could you post back whats stored in your registry at this location:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10\ProductVersion

It is this regkey Unity is looking for to locate the UWP SDK.

8. dwmsco

dwmsco

Hi Rdubb, I had quite a hard time getting everything installed properly to be able to simply deploy a test project. For some reason, the Visual Studio Installer wasn't installing the Windows 10 SDK (10.0.10586.212), so I had to go and get the SDK installer itself.

My advice would be to uninstall the SDK that Visual Studio installed, and reinstall the SDK using the following link from Microsoft: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=698771

Also, I ended up scraping the Community version of Visual Studio 2015 because we had Professional available through our BizSpark account. So i'm currently running the following:

Unity HoloLens 5.4.0f1-HTP (64-bit)
    Visual Studio 2015 Update 3
    Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.10586.212
    Microsoft HoloLens Emulator 10.0.14342.1018

schinta likes this.
  9. schinta

schinta

uninstalling the windows sdk and reinstalling the 10.0.10586 helped.