Search Unity

Basic 3D animation in Unity

Discussion in 'Animation' started by NightRider992, Feb 22, 2019.

1. NightRider992

NightRider992

Greetings.

This is my first post and I know there are similar posts but none of them satisfies my needs (or I'm not sure if advices can be applied in latest Unity)

Im begginer in Unity and I want to ask few questions (for Unity 2019).

I also want to apologize in advance for maybe asking stupid questions.

1. What is the best way to animate a custom humanoid character?
    By asking that I meant a free 3D human character model downloaded from Internet.

Is is the best way to rig it and animate it manually in external tool (like Maya) or is it possible to do all the stuff needed inside Unity (which way is the "easiest and fastest" way)?

What is the most used way other developers / animators do it?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Is it possible to make an animation in external tool (just bones or whatever is it called) and apply it to any other humanoid object (like made once - used everywhere)?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. If I'm about to make an animation in e.g. Maya, do i need to record keys (every frame) of motion or are there some shortcuts?

Thank you and have a good day.

2. NightRider992

NightRider992

Thanks for not replying back. I hope I will make millions one day and not help any of you :)

3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

This is the forums, not a chat. Not everyone is going to see your post, and not everyone is going to have the time to reply. If its super important, also post on unity answers and other avenues such as reddit etc.

The normal thing to do if you dont get a reply is to bump the post, not to get peeved with the lack of replies from people who mostly all have dayjobs and other concerns.

Now back to your questions:

First off, the reason I suspect people did not reply is that every single one of your questions have been asked tons of times on these forums. You could do a quick search using the search tool and you would get all your answers, so I am only going to give you a quick rundown:

1. Yes, its always better to make animations in a tool built for animating, Unity is not an animation tool.

2. Yes, if you had gone through the animation tutorials this would have been explained to you. I am pretty sure even the survival shooter project which is aimed at complete beginners does this. It is called retargeting animations.

3. This is not a maya forum, so best to ask there. But yes you will need to make some keyframes (not sure what you mean by "record keys"). The values will then be interpolated between each keyframe, same as any animation tool.

If you are not doing bone based animations, then animating in unity is fine for some stuff. But mostly each tool has its own use.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  4. NightRider992

NightRider992

Sorry, like I said, Im new here, and I didn't know how it works. Sorry for being rude :)
    Thank you for answers :)