Search Unity

Question Basic 101 on Animating Navmesh NPCs

Discussion in 'Animation' started by DXWarlock, May 31, 2021.

1. DXWarlock

DXWarlock

I am new to Unity and am trying to teach myself the basics, but having trouble with what exactly I need for animating a non player entity. I have the model, prefab, animation clips, and all (I think) I need, but where to start on having animation when moving is a hurdle.

Perhaps its my newness to it, and lack of understanding the basics but it seems most I find for tutorials or videos cover animating a controlled character and setting up states for when pressing W or space for example, or one that takes commands (click move), or such, and all require a 3rd/1st person controller component that makes me think I am on the wrong path of what I need for what I am attempting. (I could be wrong).

I bought a rabbit on the asset store, can make it wander about randomly the navmesh successfully, but it is not animated it just slides, as expected, with no animations setup.

I have the model, all the clips for all the types of animation on the Inspector->'animation tab' for the rabbit (I have both IP and RM options).
    But for the life of me cannot find a straight forward 'here are the basics' of how to make an animator controller for autonomous NPCs: setup which animations are for which 'movement', set it up on the rabbit, and have it animate as it moves around.

Is there a link/video/tutorial on how to setup a non-controlled object animations and controller?

Last edited: May 31, 2021