Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Base building in-game How?

Discussion in 'Unity Reflect' started by sahara79, Sep 30, 2020.

1. sahara79

sahara79

Hi,

I'm really new to Unity and self taught so I'm learning and of course lacking lots of terminology.

My question is, what should I research or what is necessary in order to allow a player to create
    in game bases e.g. walls, floors, furniture etc?

Things that would further define my intent are construction like base building in Fallout 4, Conan
    Exiles and/or 7 Days to Die. I realize each of these are different approaches but after a couple
    hours of trying different words or terminology, searching forums and Unity Assets, I can't seem
    to nail this thing down. If I've overlooked the obvious then sorry about that but could someone
    point me in the right direction.

The only thing I seem to find in assets are pre-made modular packs for the game dev to build
    themselves but not something that I allow the player to use. I want them to be able to build,
    clip into terrain etc. Again, any help would be great! Thank you

2. FredMoreau

FredMoreau

Unity Technologies

Hi,

this is a forum dedicated to AEC (Architecture, Engineering and Construction), you'll certainly get a better answer to your question in our Games related forums.

That said, I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

If what you want is to let your players build their own levels with built-in content, you'll need to package that content with the game, or deliver it later (using either Asset Bundles or Addressables and possibly our Cloud Content Delivery services). Then you'll need to figure out how to store the levels descriptions, which is very specific to the type of games and world people can create, but looking at ScriptableObject and/or Json serialization may help.

If what you want is to let people import their very own custom models from 3D applications such as Blender, you could provide a "game level creation kit" based on Unity Editor (read the full licensing info) for players to import models and publish Asset Bundles to your game.
    You could also use our USD (Universal Scene Description) file import, that is available at runtime and is supported by most DCC applications.

Lastly, if you want to offer your players a built-in modeler, you may want to look into ProBuilder, which features modelling capabilities at runtime.

Hope this helps.
    Happy Unity coding!

saharaborn79 and syscrusher like this.