Search Unity

Barebones version of the dedicated server netcode used in FPS Sample

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by megabrobro, Mar 17, 2019.

1. megabrobro

megabrobro

Hi there. This post is aimed mainly at Unity staff in this forum, but also experienced coders who have an excellent understanding of multiplayer network games, dedicated servers etc.

I am very new to network coding and only intermediate in terms of C# game coding (ie. I can make a simple game quite easily but large game projects still overwelm me to the point I cannot understand most of the code)

I've checked out the video presentation for FPS Sample where the creator explains in 45mins how the general handling of UDP and TCP packets is done. I've also checked the Github for FPS Sample.

My problem is that at this stage I don't want to be bogged down with 14GB of project including the fancy animations, particles and other such wonders that make that sample look almost like a AAA title. I'd like something straight-forward also, similar to the old Unity Network Game tutorial with just capsules that shoot little spheres out in a multiplayer environment.

Is this something that will be made soon for people like myself to learn from, or should I just try myself to do it and see what problems I run into, and then post each specific problem here (or Answers/another website)?

Like I say, the FPS Sample looks great, but 14GB is a lot to store on my PC right now, and also I am not sure which parts of the code/scripts in the sample are the essential networking components