Search Unity

Barebones simple example using new networking?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by GregAlt, Feb 18, 2020.

1. GregAlt

GregAlt

I'm looking to add multiplayer to some simple prototypes I'm working on. From the FAQ, it sounds like UNet won't be a workable solution if I find I eventually need to upgrade Unity beyond 2019.4. At the moment, the FPS sample is the only example of the new networking solution that I can find. Is there something much simpler so that I don't need to understand such a large codebase and project in order to pull out the few pieces I need?

For comparison, I found a very simple UNet HLAPI example -- from this thread, I downloaded move.zip:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unet-sample-projects.331978/

The Assets folder is nearly empty, with two simple .cs scripts, three simple prefabs, and a simple scene. Looks like nearly all the code needed is in the scripts that come with the MultiPlayer-HLAPI package. The scene then just lets you control balls with arrow keys.

Is there something this simple for the new networking solution?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I wouldn't be surprised if the UNet HLAPI example you found works just fine with Mirror, with only the minor tweak of the correct "using" lines. This is because Mirror is a fork of Unet, and is currently supported unlike Unet. Most tutorials on Unet probably work with Mirror, and I've seen a lot of them.

MrsPiggy and mischa2k like this.