Search Unity

Ball doesn't Bounce much even though Bounciness at 1

Discussion in 'Physics' started by greatUnityGamer, Mar 30, 2015.

1. greatUnityGamer

greatUnityGamer

I don't know what's going on. I have basketball with rigidbody and sphere collider.
    Mass 1, Drag 1.5, Angular Drag 0.5// Use Gravity ON. Is Kinematic OFF.

And the Physics Material is Dynamic Friction 0.4 Static Friction 0.4 Bounciness 1
    Friction Combine Average Bounce Combine Maximum and the rest at 0.
    --->The Physics Material settings i got from the Official Unity video about making a bouncing ball.

Anyway, to make story short my ball only falls down from a high distance or whatever disatance and it just bounces to a very low height and quickly and gradually to No bounce.

What's going on?

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

In order to help can you also post the physics material of the object its trying to bounce off of?

3. modegames

modegames

Reduce the drag the bounce velocity is dampened too much by this.

Also make sure the colliding floor has a bouncey physics material too.

Gsuscryst likes this.
  4. greatUnityGamer

greatUnityGamer

ohhhhh. The Colliding FLoor Also has to have bouncy physics. Material. I didn't know that.
    Thanks alot. So should i apply the same physics Material that i apply to the ball?

Gsuscryst and lgarczyn like this.
  5. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Could be the same, could be different. Generally best to model after real world items. Even a bouncy rubber ball if you threw it into water wouldn't bounce. A bouncy ball off concrete obviously would. You setting average does as the name implies averages the two values for bounciness.

6. modegames

modegames

I would have different physics materials for each object type so you can play with these values and try out what feels right.

7. greatUnityGamer

greatUnityGamer

8. modegames

modegames

Yeah not sure they might have default physics settings in Unity for the project which have a higher than normal amount of bouncy

9. yaboie

yaboie

The problem i had was that both objects had the same Mass in the rigidBody component. I change the mass to my ball to 0.01 and it started bouncing; infinitely too since i had my bounciness set to 1.

Fisherama likes this.