Search Unity

BakingSheet - Open source Datasheet management tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Cathei, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Cathei

Cathei

When you creating game you'll need to deal with many, many dataset and Unity's inspector and scriptable objects are not powerful enough to cover mass edit and fill.

Let's say you're making RPG game. You have hundreds of characters and each about tenth of stats. Designers have lots of things to change, one day they think they should double all the ATK stat. How would you do it with scriptable objects or Unity inspector? You'll either have to go through hundred characters and calculate number, or create Editor script every time to fit designer needs. Wouldn't it be easier for everyone if you can just use Spreadsheet tools as data source? That is what BakingSheet for.

It helps you convert between Spreadsheet, C# object and data formats like JSON. I've been developing and improving this library about 2 years, and it has been always useful for all the game projects I participate so I want to introduce it to everyone.

Typically, it supports the workflow like this.
    1. Programmers make C# schema that represents Datasheet. (They can provide sample .xlsx or Google Sheet with headers.)
    2. Designers fill up the Datasheet, using any powerful functions and features of spreadsheet.
    3. Editor script converts Datasheet to JSON with your C# schema and validates data.
    4. Runtime script reads from JSON with your C# schema.
    5. Your business logic directly uses C# instance of your schema.
    6. Profit!
    Your data also be used on server-side. Your JSON can be updated through CDN. You can easily create validation logic for your data. So much benefits.

If you're convinced, check it out: https://github.com/cathei/BakingSheet
    If you have any problem applying it, ask me anytime!

anhnhwork1721 likes this.