Search Unity

Question Baking with the new navigation

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by zedz, May 26, 2023.

1. zedz

zedz

Whilst I do see the new one as a major improvement

I have a question,
    Do I have to add NavMeshSurface to everything the person can walk on?

My game is nearly finished, I only upgraded Unity because of a bug with the new Input system that required 2022.2 to be installed

My open world map, whilst mainly just a terrain, has literally 1000s of things the person can walk on, eg think rocks, stairs etc, Do I have to go through and manually add NavMeshSurface component to each of these? Or is there another way?

Is it possible to somehow bake with the old system?

Like I said this new NavMeshSystem seems way better but as it stands now I would prefer using the old system for this current project.

2. Claytonious

Claytonious

No. You just give the NavMeshSurface the layers of either the physics colliders or renderers you want it to consider while building the nav mesh. It includes everything on those that it can find in the scene while it bakes.

zedz likes this.
  3. zedz

zedz

OK thanks mate heaps, understood
    One other thing I'm trying to do which was easy with the old system.
    I want to have gameobjects/meshes that will be walked around but will not be allowable to be walked on, i.e. make them non-walkable.
    It seems the docs are still stuck in the old system
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.ai.navigation@1.1/manual/AreasAndCosts.html

I could create a navmesh obstacle and give that to the object, but the mesh I want to make non walkable is a convex shape

4. alicja121

alicja121

One other thing I'm trying to do which was easy with the old system.
    I want to have gameobjects/meshes that will be walked around but will not be allowable to be walked on, i.e. make them non-walkab