Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Baking question

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tbarbe, Sep 4, 2010.

1. tbarbe

tbarbe

Hi

Im tinkering with the new beast feature for baking stuff..

Im trying to get the textures to be smooth and look natural.. but I keep getting this squared off area...and Im not sure what parameter I need to tweak to improve the smoothness of the light drop offs.

Can someone take a peek a my render and tell me which parameter I want to tweak? ( notice how the light in the base of the rectangular area squares off instead of dropping off more smoothly? )

Do I want to up my texels?

Attached Files:

2. Peter G

Peter G

I believe it is the interpolation.

3. Sycle

Sycle

From the screenshot you seem to have a massive plane? It looks like the lightmap is 99.9% black with a teeny tiny lit bit in the middle, which is why the results you're seeing is so blocky.

Technically the solution would be to increase the resolution of the lightmap, but you'd be far better off reducing the size of the plane so the density of the lightmap increases.

4. tbarbe

tbarbe

aha yes...

I was wondering if scaling the plane was going to increase the distance between... ( texels? ) and reduce the resolution...

but I figured just bumping texels would improve that factor...I guess the geometry has a big effect tho.

Ill try again this time keeping all geometry relative in size and non scaled...

thanks.