Search Unity

baking navmesh on non static surface or anything which can move

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Jenifer_Jane, May 6, 2017.

1. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

like question title say m trying to bake navmesh on a ship deck so characters can walk their and i have no idea how to do that since ships will move in water so i can't make them static.. any tutorial or idea how to do that quite appreciated. thnx in advance

2. christougher

christougher

Are you using Unity 5.6? Definitely not doable in previous versions... That's the only way. Moving navmesh surfaces are not supported... here is a recent thread about it...

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/d...ating-a-navmesh-surface-navmesh-agent.467914/

It's still somewhat doable, I have some example videos. If the surface is moving or rotating rapidly on multiple axes don't count on it. As is it can be finicky and can have poor results. But if it is moving/rotating slowly I've been able to make it work, with navmesh links as well. I've found it works better when a destination is a gameobject's transform as opposed to a vector3 in world space as the vector3 destination doesn't update with the navmesh.

Jenifer_Jane likes this.
  3. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

thnx for your reply @christougher but i don;t have much exp with unity, using 5.6 but doono how to add navmesh without making static and method its telling in above topic is far for me to understand too complicated.. i think i have to write my own path finding system or something similar like that if its not supported by unity

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  4. christougher

christougher

Add component NavMeshSurface. You bake it on the object itself, not the navigation window.

If you haven't already search for: Unity blog 5.6 release, and go to the github website mentioned in the Nav mesh section. Download that for some great examples and the additional scripts.

Jenifer_Jane likes this.
  5. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

thanx alot @christougher u made mine day gota give it a try i hope it will work for me

6. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

@christougher it will be a medieval style wooden SeaShip so will not run fast and just will rotate at y axis can u please share those example videos you have

7. christougher

christougher

The best videos are at the link I had above

Jenifer_Jane likes this.