Search Unity

Baking bones for character customisation (Blender -> Unity)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Reverend-Speed, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Hey folks! I'm tooling around with my own custom character generator and I've slowly come to the conclusion that messing about with weighted bone sizes is the best solution for editing 90% of visual avatar attributes in-game (with a little bit of blend shaping).

In 2009, Champions Online was released with a hundred+ bones for characters and hundreds of characters on-screen. For a small single-player game, I don't think including the character customisation bones in my avatars will be a huge resource drain, but I'm aware that games like Fallout 4 and others still claw back some cycles by baking their customisation bones as the customised character goes into gameplay.

Does anybody have any advice on how to bake bones on characters, retaining the changes they made to the mesh? Does anybody have any character customisation tips at all?

Best regards,

--Rev

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

3. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

I'm aware of UMA - very excited about it! But I'm actually interested in learning about character creators myself, so I'm still interested in hearing about the procedures of baking bones.

Thank you Neoshaman!

--Rev

Reahreic likes this.
  4. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's open source so you can peek inside the code and the tutorial to know how it does it, it has a strip bone function.