Search Unity

Question Baking Blendshapes to SkinnedMesh from Animations?

Discussion in 'Testing & Automation' started by Cellenseres, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Cellenseres

Cellenseres

Hey Guys!

Currently I work on a side-project that involves creating all kinds of Characters using a "similar" (not the same) facial structure (different, already existing meshes) and the same rig.
    The meshes already exist and lack of Blendshapes.
    Usually I use Blender to manually create Blendshapes by creating a pose on the rig (blinking with one eye for example) and use "Apply as Blendshape" from the Armature Modifier.
    upload_2022-10-6_18-53-20.png

I'm not really good with scripting in blender (or python at all) and wanted to know if it's possible to try a similar approach in Unity.
    For the project I work on, a lot of stuff I usually have to do manually on the Characters is already automated, so I thought automate the Creation of Blendshapes in Unity might also be possible.

I'd like to do the following approach:
    - Create One-Frame Animations for each Blendshape I want to create
    - Create a Script that lets me reference the SkinnedMesh, a List of SOs, where each one is basically storing the blendshape name and the animation it should create a blendshape out of
    - a method that runs through all the SOs in the List, creating Blendshapes on the SkinnedMesh which then will be stored in the Assets Folder.

I don't know if that's possible, but if someone could help me out with that, It'd mean a lot to me!

Thank you very much in advance!