Search Unity

Question Baking and Entity Fields in Shared Component Data

Discussion in 'DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A' started by Kmsxkuse, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

Has there been any work done to support Entity fields in shared component data that are remapped at subscene streaming load?

2. jivalenzuela

jivalenzuela

Unity Technologies

To be clear, you have an Entity field in a bake-time shared component that you expect to get patched up when the subscene loads?

Kmsxkuse likes this.
  3. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

4. jivalenzuela

jivalenzuela

Unity Technologies

Does the entity field refer to something else in the same scene?

Kmsxkuse likes this.
  5. Kmsxkuse

Kmsxkuse

Yes. I simply wish to know if the same restrictions and behaviors that entities currently existing in unmanaged component data and buffer elements can apply to shared component data.

6. Kleptine

Kleptine

Similarly, I recently hit an issue with Entity references in shared components, when using CopyEntities. If you copy an entity with the SceneTag component, it isn't properly patched, and so the SceneTag ends up corrupted.

Is there any more information on the treatment of SharedComponents floating around? I'm kind of surprised they're not handled correctly by the core EntityManager public methods like CopyEntities.

7. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

I think it's absolutely fundamentally important to be able to reference other entities coming from other game objects in the same authoring scene - while also being able to reference the authoring data.

This used to work in earlier versions.

If that's impossible, you need to provide alternative baking means than subscenes. Baking systems don't cut it because they have no access to the authoring data any more.